I want to use a iPOD with my stock stereo system in the P5? Will it work or not?

WayneTeK

THIS IS ADDED BY 1sty
Adding an aux input for an ipod, sat radio, ect. is possible.
You can use the Auxmod input or the PIE MAZDA to Alpine changer adapter in conjunction with the Alpine changer to aux in adapter.

I heard that you can install an auxillary unit to the car's stock stereo system to connect a iPOD. Is this true or do i have to change the whole head unit and buy a new one?

i really want to connect my iPOD to it danget!

Last edited by a moderator:
I read the other day about a 'doo-hicky' that mounts to your iPod and transmits a radio signal. You could get one of those, and drop the unit in the little cubby under the radio. Maybe you could check out one of those? (sorry, I don't remeber what it was called.)

You can get one of those FM transmitter thingies that they sell at Wal-Mart for around $20. You you can get an FM Modulator, both of which will degrade signal quality. With the stock deck those are your only options.

FM modulators suck. Search the forum and you will find numerous people asking the same questions. Right now the only way to get good sound out of your ipod is to buy another HU... that is unless this one dude who posted in the audio forum comes through with his how-to on converting the stock system (but I personally think he's not going to come through).

The new fm transmitter is the itrip...I am planning on using it and it doesnt seem to have bad sound quality..not like u could tell on the stock system. I will be using it on my new alpine so i will let u know more when it is hooked up

milmoejoe said:
fm broadcasting seems to be the new thing

check out www.neurosaudio.com

looks cool :)

That does sound pretty interesting. The only thing that i have heard that is bad about fm broadcasting is the sound quality sucks.
I would also like to hear what it sounds like to record off the radio to mp3 format. i can just imagine it sounding like s***. but it is a cool idea.
There is something like that, i think i saw it on here, but it uses wireless technology (802.11b) and so while your car sits in your driveway, you can send it songs from your computer. its basically a harddrive you put in your trunk and then have access to it wirelessly.

really cool ideas. look forward to where everything will go in the future.

Well, the iPod has a mini stereo jack for its output.

If you can install a mini stereo input jack on your car stereo somehow, there you go.

the new VW campaign is pretty cool. You get a free iPOD when you buy a VW new beetle. it comes with some kind of device that is like a cradle for the iPOD. its on the apple website.

Anyone look at the Mazda stuff available at rcainput.com? How many pins does the auxilary input on the P5 radio have? Does the 16 or 20 sound right?

milmoejoe said:
fm broadcasting seems to be the new thing

check out www.neurosaudio.com

looks cool :)
[threadjack]Why are most VW owners (and I say this in a loving way) geeks? :D A guy I worked with installed a GPS system in his using a Dell Axim handheld, a GPS receiver and some homemade wiring. So strange.[/threadjack]

Back to the original topic.

Yes you can ad the IPod to the stock stereo. The two easiest ways are with either a FM transmitter, which can be had for about $30 for most electronics stores. The other way is with an FM modulator for $30-60.

The transmitter will usually have OK sound but you can run in to interferrence problems if you get a stong station on the same frequency. The modulator will basically get you the best posible sound that you can get from you FM tuner but has to be wired in directly behind the radio. It basically plugs in line to the antenna connection and taps power and ground. The best one of these I have found is the Alpine CRA-1677RF. While technically this is a FM modulated controller for an Alpine CD changer or XM tuner it also has an auxillary input on it that can be used for anything with RCA jacks on it. All you need is a mini jack to RCA adaptor to plug into this and the IPod will plug in to the other end. Nice feature on this unit is that you can adjust the volume level of each input seperately and change the transmission frequency from the controler.

I've tried the FM methods in the past...they are ok but I really want some kind of direct connection so I get the full dynamic range.'

It seems like a connection should be possible through the cassette/mini disc option connection. If any one has any information on this, pinouts what ever, I would love to see it.

If your P5 has a cassette player, just get a tape adapter from Radio Shack. It's a tape that has a wire coming off of it which plugs into a 1/8" miniplug and plays through the tape. Not sure about the "full dynamic range", but it'd do the job better than a FM modulator.

Don't have a tape deck and don't want to install one just to use a tape adaptor. Can't be that hard to tap into the aux port if we can just get some information on it.

vetteguy said:
Don't have a tape deck and don't want to install one just to use a tape adaptor. Can't be that hard to tap into the aux port if we can just get some information on it.

I want to do the same thing for an XM tuner. Anyone figure out how to do this yet?

i've tried it from the schematics
they are different on the 3rd gens
i'm lucky i didn't fry my stereo

however, the tribute has the same head unit as us, at least from the photo. RCA Input has a connector for the pickup and tribute.

Back