I want to buy a 2023 CX-5. What are the major issues?

Hahaha! No, my friend. My car wasn't on the recall list. As I told you many years ago, and for once I was right....so far anyway...this is not an issue that affected EVERY 16 CX-5.
Yes the defect on those LED headlights is on EVERY 2016 CX-5 like I said before, and the recall notice verified that. But yours is a newer 2016.5 CX-5 model assembled after Dec. 2015 ⋯ 😜

The LED DRL safety recall does include very few early 2016.5 CX-5’s manufactured in Dec. 2015. It also depends on the actual production date of the LED headlight assembly unit itself. If the production date of the LED headlight unit has the ‘H’ or ‘J’ date code, it isn’t subject to recall.

View attachment 318090

View attachment 318091

I believe 2016.5 is the best CX-5 ever overall on design and reliability. Good choice!

And my 2016 CX-5 is Sonic Silver Metallic too. You’ll find you don’t need to wash the car often. ;)

View attachment 318081

View attachment 318080

Just picked up a 2016.5 CX-5 GS

I know seats can break. It is still exceptionally rare. Not dealing in absolutes ;) But in my actual life experience I've never once ever had a car seat break. Can't think of a single soul that's ever had a car seat break.
Now you know the power seat on my 2016 CX-5 is having issue which is so noisy when moving, so as quite a few members have had the major issue with broken cable on their CX-5.

Yes the power seats on my 23.5 years old 2000 BMW 528i are still perfectly fine. And the power seats on my previous 2001.5 VW Passat GLX were working perfectly too. I can agree your statement if we don’t include Mazda vehicles.

Hahaha! No, my friend. My car wasn't on the recall list. As I told you many years ago, and for once I was right....so far anyway...this is not an issue that affected EVERY 16 CX-5.

I know seats can break. It is still exceptionally rare. Not dealing in absolutes ;) But in my actual life experience I've never once ever had a car seat break. Can't think of a single soul that's ever had a car seat break.
I agree , live by the sword die by the sword ... as its a rare possibility ...kinda like the turbo getting a cracked head ....1 in 50K kinda thing .....but I just didnt want that seat going back and forth every time I get in -- It woke me up to how far Mazda has come since my 2010 and pre-2000 experiences -- I just saw the CX-90 in and ad , and it looks sharp -- but I said ...well I guess soccer moms like Mazdas too - cant wait to see where that Inline 6 ends up ...CX-5 ? Miata ?

If the OP wants a break from issues, I will offer some positives that I feel beat most other cars. Between the steering wheel and the center console control buttons, you don’t have to reach when driving. The disabled touchscreen means it will not be marked up with fingerprints.
The anti glare glass is phenomenal. The display is clear no matter what angle the sun hits it at any time of day. The backup camera’s lens is not very susceptible to the sun hitting it either.
When doing test drives of any car being considered, drive in a circle a few hours before or after noon while looking at the screen. It may open your eyes to an easily overlooked Mazda feature.

Between the steering wheel and the center console control buttons, you don’t have to reach when driving. The disabled touchscreen means it will not be marked up with fingerprints.
The anti glare glass is phenomenal. The display is clear no matter what angle the sun hits it at any time of day.
The center console controls are wonderful. I didn’t care for it the rare occasions I drove my mother in laws 18, but there’s no going back now that I am used to it full time.

Her car did have an issue with the anti glare coating coming off though. I haven’t gotten around to removing what’s left for her yet, so I’m going to be careful with that on my ‘23.

Her car did have an issue with the anti glare coating coming off though. I haven’t gotten around to removing what’s left for her yet, so I’m going to be careful with that on my ‘23.
You have to be careful what you clean it with. Usually the wrong kind of cleaner causes it to delaminate. Best thing to do is leave your fingers off it and wipe it with a moist (water) microfiber cloth once in awhile to remove the dust.

You have to be careful what you clean it with. Usually the wrong kind of cleaner causes it to delaminate. Best thing to do is leave your fingers off it and wipe it with a moist (water) microfiber cloth once in awhile to remove the dust.
Agreed! I don’t think I ever applied a solvent to it. If I did, it would have been something like TurtleWax or Meguiars interior cleaner, the natural or matte finish stuff that they claim are “great for touchscreens”. I don’t think that would’ve done it but out of caution I won’t be using it again on that anti glare coating. I also have no idea what my mother in law could’ve used on it.

Last edited:
Agreed! I don’t think I ever applied a solvent to it. If I did, it would have been something like TurtleWax or Meguiars interior cleaner, the natural or matte finish stuff that they claim are “great for touchscreens”. I don’t think that would’ve done it but out of caution I won’t be using it again on that anti glare coating. I also have no idea what my mother in law could’ve used on it.
I know Windex will remove some coatings like anti fog etc.

In my 2019, I had the Ghost Screen issue and my dealer applied the TSB which replaced the screen. I never touched it and only used a microfiber to clean off the glass. The clarity of the screen was always perfect and still is. I don’t trust cleaners.

..but I just didnt want that seat going back and forth every time I get in --
I can relate to this. Both my wife's Volvo fobs are programed for her so no matter which fob I use, I always have to adjust the seat. I program one for me, but she always reprograms it. lol

Back