How To Remove Dash Vent Shiny Trim, Head Unit and Center Floor Piece

TreyP

2018 Soul Red AWD Touring CX-5
This will cover taking apart most of the front trim on a 2014 CX-5. This is for anyone that wants to access these areas for stereo replacement, including running a new USB line to the center console. I am only covering the trim and head unit removal in this tutorial.

NOTE: I am not responsible for any damage you do to yourself or your car. If you have any doubts about your ability, please hire a professional!!

Start by removing the shiny vent trim:

Beginning at the passenger side, open the glove box and pry the end of the trim by using your fingers or a cloth wrapped screw driver. Be careful not to scratch the interior or cut yourself. There are plenty of sharp edges you will encounter in this process.
IMG_0819_zpsf88b36eb.jpg

IMG_0820_zps62577eb1.jpg

Work your way over to the center where the vents are. Take your time and be firm but gentle so you don't break anything.

Note that there will be one electrical connection to take off once you get this trim piece all the way loosened. You can see the connection in the following pic, between the vents and on the back side of the hazard button.

IMG_0821_zpsad83ed84.jpg

Next, remove the stereo head unit trim by grasping and pulling the bottom as shown here, then just work it off the rest of the way. It is only held on with clips, the same as the trim piece we already removed.

IMG_0822_zps98a18f4c.jpg

To remove the head unit, there are two Phillips screws (one on the left and right), and one 10 mm bolt on the bottom that need to be taken out.

IMG_0823_zpscdd3d715.jpg

Note that the bottom bolt is back quite a ways, so you will need a long extension to reach it.

IMG_0824_zpsa785e08f.jpg

At this point, you simple grab the head unit and pull it straight out. You will have to remove the connections on the back once the head unit is far enough out to reach them.

To remove the center floor trim, which includes the cup holder/shifter/parking brake trim:

Start by reaching into the cup holder area and pull out the rubber piece at the bottom (not pictured).
Then grab the edge of the cup holder trim as shown and pull up the right edge just until you feel it release from the clips.

IMG_0826_zpsdcb48d02.jpg

Open the center console and lift the rear edge of the cup hold trip as shown.

IMG_0827_zps6d528e09.jpg

Continue to work your way around to the drivers side of the trim. Once you have it all loose, carefully lift the whole piece and slide it up and off of the lifted parking brake handle. You will need to gently bend the front of the trim where the storage cubby is in order to get it all the way off. The trim has a 'hinge' there to facilitate this. Do not force it in any way or you may break something.

IMG_0829_zps9cc87d29.jpg

There is a wire connector on the bottom of the rear cup holder that is removed by twisting it until it lines up with the oblong hole, and then you press a small clip from the top side which will allow the clip piece to slide down through the hole.

IMG_0831_zpsf475775f.jpg

To make wiring access easier, you should also remove this bracket in front of the shifter. Simply remove the two Phillips screws and take it out.

IMG_0837_zpsed7bd6e2.jpg

This section covers how to remove the USB port. This is not really needed because there is an opening at the front top edge of the console which is large enough to pass an iPod cable through. I will show the process anyway in case someone wants to go this route.

Pry the top edge back with your fingers, it comes off fairly easily.

IMG_0835_zps7984f897.jpg

Remove the connectors from the USB port and the cigarette lighter.

IMG_0836_zps01e51830.jpg

To remove the port itself, there are two clips that push in on both sides of the port. I found the easiest way was to push in the two on one side, slide them through, then repeat for the other side.

IMG_0839_zps13fba85b.jpg

IMG_0840_zps55119e0d.jpg

The glove box is easy to remove, and really helps to have out of the way when you are running wires. It could be taken out first or last, but I did it last. Open the box and push in firmly on the sides in order to get the guide pins to come out of their holes, then open the box until the pins are all the way out in the open. Then lift the bottom edge of the box off its rail.

There is also a clip on the right bottom side that comes right off. It is for the glove box 'shock absorber' which makes the box open gently under normal circumstances.

This is one last picture with everything removed.

IMG_0838_zps6ef5578d.jpg

That's it. Hope it helps, and good luck with your project!

-Trey

Last edited:
now if we can just find something to cover/paint/wrap that lateral black trim piece to make it match the brushed metal accents we'd have something

I'm actually working on something to make that piece look better. If it works out I'll share it here in the forum.
(wink)

I'm actually working on something to make that piece look better. If it works out I'll share it here in the forum.
(wink)

sweet, thats one of my biggest gripes on the interior, that they made that one long piece that shiny piano black, it's really awkward and doesn't fit the motif at all, the brushed metal like everything else really would have made it pop

I have a vibration in that center grill. Anyone have a solution.....hopefully without taking the dash off.....that is, foam from the underneath?

Thinking about it today.......that center grill has no speaker, probably antenna stuff or whatever. Can that be vibrating? Thanks to anyone/everyone!!!

Last edited:
This will cover taking apart most of the front trim on a 2014 CX-5. This is for anyone that wants to access these areas for stereo replacement, including running a new USB line to the center console. I am only covering the trim and head unit removal in this tutorial.

NOTE: I am not responsible for any damage you do to yourself or your car. If you have any doubts about your ability, please hire a professional!!

Start by removing the shiny vent trim:

Beginning at the passenger side, open the glove box and pry the end of the trim by using your fingers or a cloth wrapped screw driver. Be careful not to scratch the interior or cut yourself. There are plenty of sharp edges you will encounter in this process.
IMG_0819_zpsf88b36eb.jpg

IMG_0820_zps62577eb1.jpg

Work your way over to the center where the vents are. Take your time and be firm but gentle so you don't break anything.

Note that there will be one electrical connection to take off once you get this trim piece all the way loosened. You can see the connection in the following pic, between the vents and on the back side of the hazard button.

IMG_0821_zpsad83ed84.jpg

Next, remove the stereo head unit trim by grasping and pulling the bottom as shown here, then just work it off the rest of the way. It is only held on with clips, the same as the trim piece we already removed.

IMG_0822_zps98a18f4c.jpg

To remove the head unit, there are two Phillips screws (one on the left and right), and one 10 mm bolt on the bottom that need to be taken out.

IMG_0823_zpscdd3d715.jpg

Note that the bottom bolt is back quite a ways, so you will need a long extension to reach it.

IMG_0824_zpsa785e08f.jpg

At this point, you simple grab the head unit and pull it straight out. You will have to remove the connections on the back once the head unit is far enough out to reach them.

To remove the center floor trim, which includes the cup holder/shifter/parking brake trim:

Start by reaching into the cup holder area and pull out the rubber piece at the bottom (not pictured).
Then grab the edge of the cup holder trim as shown and pull up the right edge just until you feel it release from the clips.

IMG_0826_zpsdcb48d02.jpg

Open the center console and lift the rear edge of the cup hold trip as shown.

IMG_0827_zps6d528e09.jpg

Continue to work your way around to the drivers side of the trim. Once you have it all loose, carefully lift the whole piece and slide it up and off of the lifted parking brake handle. You will need to gently bend the front of the trim where the storage cubby is in order to get it all the way off. The trim has a 'hinge' there to facilitate this. Do not force it in any way or you may break something.

IMG_0829_zps9cc87d29.jpg

There is a wire connector on the bottom of the rear cup holder that is removed by twisting it until it lines up with the oblong hole, and then you press a small clip from the top side which will allow the clip piece to slide down through the hole.

IMG_0831_zpsf475775f.jpg

To make wiring access easier, you should also remove this bracket in front of the shifter. Simply remove the two Phillips screws and take it out.

IMG_0837_zpsed7bd6e2.jpg

This section covers how to remove the USB port. This is not really needed because there is an opening at the front top edge of the console which is large enough to pass an iPod cable through. I will show the process anyway in case someone wants to go this route.

Pry the top edge back with your fingers, it comes off fairly easily.

IMG_0835_zps7984f897.jpg

Remove the connectors from the USB port and the cigarette lighter.

IMG_0836_zps01e51830.jpg

To remove the port itself, there are two clips that push in on both sides of the port. I found the easiest way was to push in the two on one side, slide them through, then repeat for the other side.

IMG_0839_zps13fba85b.jpg

IMG_0840_zps55119e0d.jpg

The glove box is easy to remove, and really helps to have out of the way when you are running wires. It could be taken out first or last, but I did it last. Open the box and push in firmly on the sides in order to get the guide pins to come out of their holes, then open the box until the pins are all the way out in the open. Then lift the bottom edge of the box off its rail.

There is also a clip on the right bottom side that comes right off. It is for the glove box 'shock absorber' which makes the box open gently under normal circumstances.

This is one last picture with everything removed.

IMG_0838_zps6ef5578d.jpg

That's it. Hope it helps, and good luck with your project!

-Trey

I was looking at your write up for the radio, etc... removal, did you by any chance see what type of and where the lighting was coming from in the shifter? Cause I'm looking to make all the orange lighting white like the 2014 6. I think the control on the stteering wheel might have the white lights built in like the 6's http://www.partswebsite.com/mazdawh...lision=1&items=none&image=5470285&catid=30166. Thanks

I was looking at your write up for the radio, etc... removal, did you by any chance see what type of and where the lighting was coming from in the shifter? Cause I'm looking to make all the orange lighting white like the 2014 6. I think the control on the stteering wheel might have the white lights built in like the 6's http://www.partswebsite.com/mazdawh...lision=1&items=none&image=5470285&catid=30166. Thanks
I didn't notice that specifically, but I believe the trim around the shifter comes off easily by itself if you wanted to get in there to take a look.

As far as the wrap of the shiny black part, My solution was the 3D Carbon Fiber wrap from 3M:

Now my question is... how do i remove these silver parts? ... i want to wrap them the same way.

I asked the same question I want to wrap the door panel parts and steering wheel too but can not get them out....have you found a way??? the two sliver pieces on either side of the cubby storage just pop out. if you have a trim puller just pull from the bottom.

Latest posts

Back