How-to: 3rd gen. DX/LX fog lights instalation

I jsut got an OEM fog light installation kit for my 01 protege ES. And to my shock there was no instructions. I think I've got everything hooked up right except i can't find this magical harness that is around the passenger side head light. I spent ours searching for it. Can anyone tell me exactly where it is??

ill check tomorow when its light outside.. it took me a couple of minutes to find.. its under the headlight to the left of it a little i think.. just take the piece that you put into the harness and see which one it fits into..
i thought ES's came with foglights though?

01protege_nick said:
I jsut got an OEM fog light installation kit for my 01 protege ES. And to my shock there was no instructions. I think I've got everything hooked up right except i can't find this magical harness that is around the passenger side head light. I spent ours searching for it. Can anyone tell me exactly where it is??
its zip-tied in a bunch, right next to the window washer fluid reservuar. Much easier to get it located if your front bumper is off.

so, if i read this right....all you really need are the 2 fog lamps w/ bracket, and the switch?

and all the other wiring is already in the car? (mainly the harness to the lamps, and the harness btwn the switch and relay?

u need the foglights the harness the switch and the relay.. there isnt really a bracket because it just snaps into place

this might help being in this thread.

Attachments

• Fog Light Kit.pdf
    460.8 KB · Views: 978
I know this is an ancient thread but i am doing this mod with the factory fogs kit and for the life of me I can not find the switch harness under the dash. I found where to plug the relay in but I can not find where the switch plug is. Anyone with anything would be awesome. Pics would be great P.s. 2002 Lx

the switch harness should be tied to the main harness under the dash, close to where the switch goes. you may have to dig around in there, or remove some tape to find it, but it should be there.

Until someone posts a pic of where the wiring harness is hidden under the headlight, I don't believe that this came with all Proteges. My 2001 LX 2.0 doesn't have this harness anywhere when I went to install my fogs, and I even removed the headlight and couldn't find the harness.

Why would Mazda include a wiring harness in the fog light kit if the Proteges supposedly already come with one?

Last edited:
Until someone posts a pic of where the wiring harness is hidden under the headlight, I don't believe that this came with all Proteges. My 2001 LX 2.0 doesn't have this harness anywhere when I went to install my fogs, and I even removed the headlight and couldn't find the harness.

Why would Mazda include a wiring harness in the fog light kit if the Proteges supposedly already come with one?

The fog light wire with 2 plugs is located next to the window washer fluid reservoir. You will either have to get under the car, remove the undercarriage protective plastic on the passenger side to get to it OR remove the whole bumper to get to it. To the best of my knowledge, all of the 2001-2003 DX/LX/ES Proteges came pre-wired exactly identically to each other without exception.

Wouldn't make sense to buy a car without fog lights and then during the purchase get this option and let dealer install the wiring....... I just imagine ad to how many dealers f*ck things up in the process.

I know this is an ancient thread but i am doing this mod with the factory fogs kit and for the life of me I can not find the switch harness under the dash. I found where to plug the relay in but I can not find where the switch plug is. Anyone with anything would be awesome. Pics would be great P.s. 2002 Lx

Just like njaremka said, the switch harness is bundled up in a bunch of wires next to the foglights relay. Can't miss it. It should be the only harness that is not plugged into anything. Just take the fogs switch (obviously unplugged) and try to match the shape of the harness to the shape of the connecting point of the switch. Look for it (harness) under the dash, to the left of the steering column directly (somewhat) behind the point where fogs switch is being installed at.

Let me know if you have any more questions.

Just like njaremka said, the switch harness is bundled up in a bunch of wires next to the foglights relay. Can't miss it. It should be the only harness that is not plugged into anything. Just take the fogs switch (obviously unplugged) and try to match the shape of the harness to the shape of the connecting point of the switch. Look for it (harness) under the dash, to the left of the steering column directly (somewhat) behind the point where fogs switch is being installed at.

Let me know if you have any more questions.

Like I said, someone's gotta post a picture. When I took my bumper off, all that was near the windshield washer reservoir was a single plug for the wiring harness to connect to. I even removed the headlight and there was nothing there either.

I'm not saying this to be confrontational - I honestly want to know where I'm not looking for this harness.

Finally, to my original question, why would Mazda include a wiring harness in the kit if it's already included on all of the cars?

you have to purchase the harness that plugs into the plug by the wiper reservoir and goes to your fogs, there should be two plugs a gray and a black. black one is used if installing stock foglights for a sedan, you use gray if you are switching to the mp3/msp bumper and fog lights. the switch plug should be blue under that dash i will load pictures once i take one.

i installed mine this week but they don't turn on so im trying to figure out whats going on, i checked all fuses and bulbs, they work if i run straight from battery to fog harness, i think its something wrong with the wires from the plug by the reservoir to the fuse box, but no idea what. Did anyone else have a problem like this?

you have to purchase the harness that plugs into the plug by the wiper reservoir and goes to your fogs, there should be two plugs a gray and a black. black one is used if installing stock foglights for a sedan, you use gray if you are switching to the mp3/msp bumper and fog lights. the switch plug should be blue under that dash i will load pictures once i take one.

i installed mine this week but they don't turn on so im trying to figure out whats going on, i checked all fuses and bulbs, they work if i run straight from battery to fog harness, i think its something wrong with the wires from the plug by the reservoir to the fuse box, but no idea what. Did anyone else have a problem like this?

Did you make sure to install the fog light relay underneath your dash board?

no i didn't, shouldn't it have a foglight relay from factory? where should it be located and a picture of what the relay looks like would help, thanks, I hope thats all it is, then hopefully it will be an easy fix

where could i get a relay?

Look on that PDF instruction sheet back on the second page of this post for the part number and installation instructions. It goes with a cluster of other relays that are hiding up near the steering column.

thanks for the help, i just ordered a relay today it should be in tomorrow so i hope that solves my mysterious problem

Back