How many miles on your CX-5 turbo?

CO CX5

2020 CX-5 Reserve
Have any of you racked up some good brag-worthy mileage on your CX-5's turbo engine? It seems some people think that a turbo engine is doomed to not be as reliable as a N/A engine. I suppose the CX-9 could bust that myth with longer turbo history. I'm only at 5,100 miles so I'm going to sit this one out.

Knocks on wood: I'm on 26K miles. Zero issues thus far.

BTW, it's pretty well established that turbo charged engines simply do not last as long as NA engines due to the higher pressures increasing wear on the engine. That's not a Mazda thing, that's a turbo thing. I have no idea how to quantify that difference in engine lifetime though.

Knocks on wood: I'm on 26K miles. Zero issues thus far.

BTW, it's pretty well established that turbo charged engines simply do not last as long as NA engines due to the higher pressures increasing wear on the engine. That's not a Mazda thing, that's a turbo thing. I have no idea how to quantify that difference in engine lifetime though.
I think that's a urban legend.

~22,000 miles. No issues at all.
wood.jpg

…BTW, it's pretty well established that turbo charged engines simply do not last as long as NA engines due to the higher pressures increasing wear on the engine. That's not a Mazda thing, that's a turbo thing. I have no idea how to quantify that difference in engine lifetime though…

”Established” by who? The “higher pressures” are there only when in boost so this supposed extra wear really depends on the right foot of the driver, not on the induction system. Same thing with a NA engine, run it harder and it will simply wear faster. With over one third of all light vehicles sold in the US being turbocharged we should start seening all these short-life turbo engines. Are we?

BTW 7500 miles of blissful driving with plenty of boost involved. This is my sixth forced induction vehicle.

Tubo charged daily drivers from about 2013 and newer get "MYTH" support information dating back to the 80's.
Sure there are issues with some new to the market vehicles just as there has been for 100 years.... HA!

23000 miles, only problem was having the ecu reprogrammed for the cold weather performance. Have not had any oil usage problems, stick shows full from oil change to oil change.

48k miles and I have two ( sequential ) turbos thankyouverymuch :cool:

No issues so far and enjoying my ride.

2018 CX-9 with almost 70000 kms (43500 mi) on the odometer. Not really brag-worthy, just another data point.

Have any of you racked up some good brag-worthy mileage on your CX-5's turbo engine? It seems some people think that a turbo engine is doomed to not be as reliable as a N/A engine. I suppose the CX-9 could bust that myth with longer turbo history. I'm only at 5,100 miles so I'm going to sit this one out.
80k mi on it when I sold mine. Zero issues with powertrain. Zero oil usage.

My 2020 Signature Turbo has 35,000 kilometers and no sign of any engine issues. On turbo longevity I had a 1990 Plymouth Laser Turbo (Mitsubishi motor) that I finally unloaded at 160.000 miles. Engine was burning some oil but the turbo was fine. I suspect Mazda's turbo will be very long lasting.

My 2020 Signature Turbo has 35,000 kilometers and no sign of any engine issues. On turbo longevity I had a 1990 Plymouth Laser Turbo (Mitsubishi motor) that I finally unloaded at 160.000 miles. Engine was burning some oil but the turbo was fine. I suspect Mazda's turbo will be very long lasting.
And those old turbos needed a proper cool down after each drive. I owned a '91 Eagle Talon TSI and a "95 Mitsu Eclipse GSX back in the day. Bought both new. I was always worried about shutting them off and damaging their turbos. They've come a long way!

2021 with 50k miles. Only issue is it burns oil pretty quick but I hear that's a common problem with my year. I just top it off after 4000 miles after an oil change.

Back