Hooking Droid Up to Car Stock Kenwood System on MSP

skilletrx

Nemo0o
Really simple question - what do I need to hook up my Droid to my car's audio system? At first I thought I could use a male-male mini 3.5mm cable, but after reading a bit, it looks like I need this instead?

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_113CAC1AX/Kenwood-CA-C1AUX.html?search=113CAC1AX&ssi=0&tp=1672

Is this the case or can I hook up to some 3.5mm aux input?

Also, if I have to go with the crutchfield product, where does this cable hook up to...is it somewhere in the trunk?

TIA.

If it is the factory system, then yes you do need that part. There is no 3.5mm jack on the stock Kenwood. You will also need a 3.5mm to female RCA cable from your local electronics store.

The piece from Crutchfield plugs in on the back of the head unit. You will have to pull the deck out to plug it in. If you are not comfortable with it, have a car stereo shop do the work. Shouldn't cost more than $30 to have it installed.

hey just fyi - so i found them for $3.50 shipped on ebay ( that 13-pin CD changer aux Kenwood cable (CA-C1AUX)). I also saw some 10$ cables that does the same thing but terminated with a 3.5mm jack so you dont need that silly Y-audio cable thingy. thanks all.

hope it works out for you - ebay cables are a total crapshoot. the one on my headunit works fine, but the iphone to 3.5mm has the right channel cutting out a lot.

i have a env toutch. i used my ipod cable once that hooks into the headphone jack on the ipod and put it on my phone... i could hear them thru my speakers but i could not talk to them thru my phone becasue the phone thinks that there is a mic. It would be cool if it still used the phone mic so i could talk thru my phone and hear the person thru my speakers. i think it is becasue whenever you hook up a cable to the phones jack it thinks you will have a mic. I tried going thru my settings on the phone to see if i could change that but no luck.

Last edited:
hope it works out for you - ebay cables are a total crapshoot. the one on my headunit works fine, but the iphone to 3.5mm has the right channel cutting out a lot.

ah dammit really? I thought it was my Y cable that was causing the right side to cut out... dammit all lol. it was only $3 tho so no biggie.

it could be anything. in my experience, its whatever piece has the headphone plug attached.

try to trace it with any other audio stuff you have laying around...
if you have a receiver and the Y cable goes to RCA's, plug it into the receiver. thatll tell you something...
what is your cable layout, exactly?

Last edited:
Back