HLA problem?

Hey everyone. So I’m looking into buying a 2018 Mazda6 Touring and had a question. I had one of the employees at the dealership that I’m purchasing the car from send me a video of the car as they’re shipping it to me out of state. When I watched the video the car sounded very loud and so I looked up what the cause might be and I saw something about the HLA. I’ve never owned a Mazda so I’m not sure if it’s me being paranoid or if the car is actually making a strange sound. I will include a video for you guys and hopefully you can give me some good advice. Thank you!

That sounds much louder than my '16 Mazda6 GT.
Yes, there is an unique DI sound, but that in the video is too loud, IMHO.
What did you mean by HLA?

The HLA I know is "Hill Launch Assist".
That is, the car will hold its position on a uphill slope for a few seconds after you release the brake pedal.

I believe he is referring to hydraulic lifter assembly.

I do not have any experience with the 6 and Im not going to use up my data plan watching your video but One thing I can tell you is that from my experiences my cell phone camera picks up very loud lifter/valvetrain noises on any engine that sound very pronounced when played back even on brand new vehicles with no issues.

The 2018's and newer vehicles with the n/a engine have that cylinder deactivation feature, which has proven to be somewhat problematic.

I don't know the technical specifics, so you may want to search for it here on this forum.

I believe in certain scenarios, one of the valve lifters (HLA's) can fall off, or become dislodged.
There is a software recall/fix for it.
First thing I'd check then before buying the 6 is whether the fix has been done. Hopefully this is something a Mazda dealer can do by searching the serial number.

The only way I know for certain (from what I've read on here) whether the HLA is actually dislodged is to somehow get a visual, either via a camera or by removing the valve cover.

If anyone can add to this, please do so. Hope this helps in the meantime.

.... I believe in certain scenarios, one of the valve lifters (HLA's) can fall off, or become dislodged. ....
Actually it's the rocker arm that can detach, under a very limited set of circumstances. The HLAs have a completely different problem, which Mazda has described in their TSBs as 'air bubbles'.

But so far we have no idea about the severity and volume of either one of these problems. The actual number of incidents reported on the forums and other online sources has been very low, but that's to be expected, given that nearly all of the potentially affected vehicles are still under powertrain warranty. And most owners don't aren't interested in making complaints when something is handled N/C under warranty.

So, although these 2 issues sound like they might be potentially ominous, it's nothing but a guess a this point how many vehicles will ultimately be impacted by them.

Back