hitch mounted bicycle racks

I installed a Curt Class III hitch which weighs 40lbs. Though I haven't noticed any difference in MPG, logic would indicate that the extra 40lbs is hurting milage.

Thanks NEWireless, I would not expect a major change in MPG, if any. I heard many times from different people about carrying extra weight in the trunk of a car and how it affects mileage. I doubt that 40 lbs would make a difference, however I am not an expert. This is why I ask :) My other thought was whether or not it would affect the aerodynamics of the car, such as increase in wind drag.

Certainly pros and cons to each type of mount. The best situation for most cyclists is to be able to stand a bike upright inside the vehicle for a few different reasons, but with the CX-5 that is not possible. If one doesn't mind using a cargo cover/blanket and laying it down with the seats down that is not a bad option, but eventually something plastic or painted is going to get scarred the more loading and unloading. I ended up with a White/sand interior CX-5 and I am absolutely nervous now about transferring grease from one of my bikes to the upholstery. One of my next purchases will most likely be getting Wet Okole black seat covers since I usually end up soaking in sweat and never fails I have spot of grease on my leg or somewhere.

With my last vehicle (Nissan Titan) I could stand the bike upright (front wheel off) behind the seat and feel more at ease leaving the bike unattended when going in a store or to eat. Not boasting, but each of my bikes are valued over $5K so it is something of a concern. I have a lot of friends that drive Honda Fits or SUV's that allow their expensive bikes to stood upright inside for security more so than for gas usage and still have some cargo room for gear bags and coolers.

I am an avid cyclist so my loading/unloading rate will be far higher than most people. It never fails that grease from the drive train or the fork gets hung on something or the day you finish a ride totally exhausted and you accidently scrape the bumper with the bike while loading seems to happen. I know that I get sloppy after a hot 100 mile ride and the car will show the impact of me being tired. I do like some of those cargo blankets shown on this forum that has an extension that drops out to protect the back of the car. That really looks nice.

I did not go with a roof rack because it does catch more air, debris and bugs, but also because I am short and would need a ladder to get the bike mounted up there. :)

I went with a wheel tray type of rack that I felt I could add cable locks a bit more easily and where the bike is more stable without swaying or adding more bungie cords to keep the front wheel from moving.

Whatever you guys choose there are a lot of good options. I just hope you enjoy the activity of cycling or other form of outdoor fitness.

Last edited:
Well I just ordered a Mongoose Mountain bike and will be getting this hitch from etrailer - http://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Hitch/Mazda/CX-5/2013/87623.html?vehicleid=2013308412. I was looking at this bike carrier (Flat type) http://www.etrailer.com/Hitch-Bike-Racks/Swagman/S64650.html good feedback and price. And this hanging one which I think I prefer http://www.etrailer.com/Hitch-Bike-Racks/Swagman/S63360.html .

I assume you have 2013 CX5 model because this hitch will not fit 2014.

To those of you that installed hitches on your CX-5s:

Have you noticed any change in your MPG, just driving with the hitch and no rack?
I have installed a hitch (Curt class II) in March.. I used to be able to get to 33mpg and now I sit in the mid-31's.. Not sure if that's the hitch, or the bike rack & the hitch, but I haven't thought about the reason until I saw this thread. I also think that AC takes some mpg away as I've been using it more now than in the fall when I got to 33mpg.

check out the kuat racks ... the white and silver rack matches perfectly with the white cx 5 ... I will post pics soon

check out the kuat racks ... the white and silver rack matches perfectly with the white cx 5 ... I will post pics soon

I really came close to going with Kuat Sherpa, which is the white rack. I have a white CX5 ,but I got the Kuat NV.
The matching white color is a positive, but another positive may be that the shorter wheel tray length may not interfere with the blind spot monitoring like the longer wheel tray of the Kuat NV or other popular racks.

If I had to do it over again I may have gone with the white Sherpa because of the color match, shorter wheel trays, top end Kuat quality and the possibility of not blocking the BSMS.

Not looking forward to you pictures now that I have the Kuat NV. :) just kidding...I look forward to seeing how it looks.

I have installed a hitch (Curt class II) in March.. I used to be able to get to 33mpg and now I sit in the mid-31's.. Not sure if that's the hitch, or the bike rack & the hitch, but I haven't thought about the reason until I saw this thread. I also think that AC takes some mpg away as I've been using it more now than in the fall when I got to 33mpg.

Thanks for the response MazdaDriverNJ. I have a Curt Class III on the way this week. I'll be doing the install as soon as it comes in. It would be interesting to see how my mileage gets affected, if it does. My next step is to find a 2-bike mount. Which one do you have?

Thanks for the response MazdaDriverNJ. I have a Curt Class III on the way this week. I'll be doing the install as soon as it comes in. It would be interesting to see how my mileage gets affected, if it does. My next step is to find a 2-bike mount. Which one do you have?
I have ALLEN 3-bike rack.. it was recommended by someone on this forum, and so far it's been great. At first I didn't mount it properly to the hitch and it was shaky, so I called the manufacturer. They pointed out a couple of things, one of which resolved my problem.
In terms to the mileage affected -- this summer I was able to get back up to 33.6 MPG .. didn't seem to be affected at all! I want to mention that I always try to drive consciously - I don't accelerate stupidly towards red lights or from red lights.. I use cruise control a lot, I let the car 'cruise' downhill.. things like that.

I have a Thule Helium Aero 3 Bike 9043 that slides into the receiver hitch. Very secure with locks for rack to hitch and bikes to rack. It does not rattle around or move.

The Allen rack is simple, cheap, and sounds like it is very effective. I like the Helium Aero 3 though. It's a nice hitch rack, with built in security features, and really easy to use. However the price is insanely high.

It looks like I have some shopping to do.

The 1up single allows you to lift the rear hatch without folding the rack down (unless a bike is on the tray). Adding up to two more trays is easy and optional. I usually only have one bike on the back but can add the second tray to the first and carry two or add a third for three bikes. Holds all of my various style bikes from a full Time Trial bike with deep dish wheels all the way to my 29r MTB. It is expensive but is the best rack I have found for the money!

The 1up single allows you to lift the rear hatch without folding the rack down (unless a bike is on the tray). Adding up to two more trays is easy and optional. I usually only have one bike on the back but can add the second tray to the first and carry two or add a third for three bikes. Holds all of my various style bikes from a full Time Trial bike with deep dish wheels all the way to my 29r MTB. It is expensive but is the best rack I have found for the money!

I have a 29er as well. I'm thinking of getting either the Thule Aero 3 or the Kuat Alpha 3. Although, I find the Thule Vertex 4 to be a happy medium between the two.

nI14H8xR
VRC2u1DE

I have a 29" bike and I purchased a ROTA hitch rack form ebay (also @ etrailer). I did not get a chance to test the bike on it before I removed it, however it was stable empty (threaded bolt).

Last edited:
Back