2013~2016 CX-5 High Pitch Whine

:
Mazda CX-5 Grand Touring
2016 CX-5 AWD - The whine only is noticeable when at speed. Maybe 30mph and up. It is not the brakes. Rotors and pads just changed all the way around. While doing this, I rotated and tried to twist the wheel while it was up in the air to test the wheel bearings. All good with the possible exception of the left rear and it was not convincing. I thought I "might" be able to feel a very slight vibration in the spring while rotating the wheel. Still whines. At 60+mph I shift to neutral, engine winds down but whine remains constant with no change. I have read somewhere that a bad torque-converter will sometimes whine.

Question I have is if it is the torque-converter, will it still whine when I shift into neutral or would it stop when in neutral at speed?

Thanks,
Greg

how many miles?
does it happen all the time?
Does it disappear at higher speeds?

See if you can be sure its not a wheel bearing.
Rear ones usually go first on my previous cars for unknown reason.

Mazda has a service bulletin for some cx5 2013-2016 and certain 2017-2018 models for whining noise from the transaxle above 10 mph.

depends on vehicle speed only
all types of driving - acceleration, steady speed or deceleration
does not depend on rpm, gear or atf temp.
Reason is a damaged bearing inside.

There is another bulletin but its for more for sqeeaks.

Hopefully its not that in your case but try to isolate all other options first.

Last edited:
how many miles?
does it happen all the time?
Does it disappear at higher speeds?

See if you can be sure its not a wheel bearing.
Rear ones usually go first on my previous cars for unknown reason.

Mazda has a service bulletin for some cx5 2013-2016 and certain 2017-2018 models for whining noise from the transaxle above 10 mph.

depends on vehicle speed only
all types of driving - acceleration, steady speed or deceleration
does not depend on rpm, gear or atf temp.
Reason is a damaged bearing inside.

There is another bulletin but its for more for sqeeaks.

Hopefully its not that in your case but try to isolate all other options first.
Thanks for the reply. I looked up the TSB and it describes it to a "T". I might be screwed on getting this fixed on Mazda's dime. Warranty expired in 11/21. Will call the dealer and see if they can get approval from Mazda to do it as a warranty item anyhow. Never hurts to ask.

Thanks,
Greg

Back