NB MX-5 Hey, it's Minnie!

chiefmg

MOTM July 2015
:
'81 RX-7 GS, '00 Miata SE, '16 Camaro (wife's), '15 CX-5 GT AWD
Everything was nicely dry this morning so proceeded with the installation. Yesterday evening I put the edging back on, along with a piece of silicone hose I split to cover the cut-out area for my tow hook. That looked like this:

51684556988_f1374f0703_c.jpg


I ended up taking off the hose piece as there wasn’t enough room for it without cutting the grille back further. I mainly wanted it to prevent any rubbing on the tow hook but clearance looks sufficient for that to not be an issue. First time I put it on the sections for the bolts wouldn’t line up so I removed it and cut those back a little more. Second time was a charm!

51683497517_7b87180abb_c.jpg


As can be seen, it appears almost transparent to the camera so I don’t think it will block too much airflow.
 

chiefmg

MOTM July 2015
:
'81 RX-7 GS, '00 Miata SE, '16 Camaro (wife's), '15 CX-5 GT AWD
Got under her this morning to calibrate the O2 sensor. I have been seeing unusual AFR readings (higher than normal under steady state cruise), at first I thought maybe it was due to the colder temperatures we’ve been having but my gas consumption was up as well. Thinking about it yesterday I realized when I had my battery problem a few weeks ago it might have caused the sensor to reset. After I did the calibration and took a drive she was behaving much better. I have now put this as a point of reference for any future occurrence. Sometimes I’m a little slow on the uptake.
 

chiefmg

MOTM July 2015
:
'81 RX-7 GS, '00 Miata SE, '16 Camaro (wife's), '15 CX-5 GT AWD
Nice day here so took her out to run to the store. On the way home, I got a big E8 error code on the wideband. She would run ok steady-state but bucked under acceleration. I nursed her home (couple of miles), before I shut her down I checked the battery voltage since that has been an intermittent problem. Voltage was steady at 14.6 so that wasn’t an issue. Checked my wideband instructions and it says the E8 code is for a sensor timing error (overheating or overcooling, appears at full throttle OR damaged sensor). Looks like I’ll be hoisting her up into the air for a look.
 

chiefmg

MOTM July 2015
:
'81 RX-7 GS, '00 Miata SE, '16 Camaro (wife's), '15 CX-5 GT AWD
O2 sensor arrived today so out to the garage I went. Put her up on the QuickJack, removed the old sensor, reset the wideband, connected/calibrated the new sensor (important step) and then installed it. Old sensor didn’t look bad so must have suffered an internal failure (I’m guessing due to my sometimes rich condition). It was on the car for 9,351 miles.

FYI, DIY Autotune sells two different Bosch O2 sensors. The LSU4.2 (which is what I have) and the LSU4.9. If you check their site the only external difference is the connector on the 4.9 is not as wide as the one on the 4.2. I would have to change out the cable going from the sensor to the Megasquirt if I wanted to change to the 4.9 sensor.

Time to do the job (including putting her up and down on the lift) was the length of the first Saint Asonia album.