NB MX-5 Hey, it's Minnie!

chiefmg

MOTM July 2015
:
'81 RX-7 GS, '00 Miata SE, '16 Camaro (wife's), '15 CX-5 GT AWD
Fair point. He is basically just starting out but has some nice products. Once he gets a website up and running I'll post a link.

chiefmg

MOTM July 2015
:
Patience is a virtue. I'm at work now. All I can offer is that my last package is at the house, it'll have to tide you over for another three months.

chiefmg

MOTM July 2015
:
Still waiting, patiently 😆

No, you're not. You're not fooling anyone. Just for that, I'm staying another three weeks. 🤪

Don't let it go to your head. Our schedule got changed, and my usual relief decided he wanted to sit out this rotation so they had to find someone else. That's been done so just have to wait it out at this point. At least I will have almost the whole month for pay (been spending some money, just not on the Miata).

chiefmg

MOTM July 2015
:
Finally back home. Opened my latest purchase:

51549933250_ef16d25a88_c.jpg

Set of oil pan baffles. Not going to install them any time soon, but now I have them on hand for whenever I have to open the engine.

CTt3P5

TAD
Contributor
:
2016 GT ST 47A
Welcome home Chief!

Waiting to see what other goodies you may have purchased while out on the open waters.

chiefmg

MOTM July 2015
:
Jeff, sorry to disappoint but this is all I bought for her this time. I did spend money but on other material goods. The kind not appropriate for a car forum. :whistle:

chiefmg

MOTM July 2015
:
I decided to cut out the opening in the bumper cover to allow airflow through the mesh in the upper diffuser. Got started on that this morning. First thing was to put some tape around the opening for protection against the drill (note: this didn’t completely work but it mostly did):

51578117617_57b488d496_c.jpg

Next was drilling some pilot holes around the periphery of the opening as so:

51579850265_b31c8a6608_c.jpg

Here is how that turned out:

51578117482_e38915ec69_c.jpg

I connected the dots with a Sharpie (so to speak) to give me a line to follow. I tried cutting the bumper cover using my multitool but ended up using a cutoff wheel in my Dremel. Here is the end result before sanding:

51579849745_f8aa5e180b_c.jpg

As you can see, the bumper reinforcement is showing behind the cutout. In order to keep that from standing out I used some of this to coat the area behind the cutout:

51578934926_574bea5ae9_c.jpg

This is sold for coating firearms, seems to work well for this application too. Once everything was done and back together, here is how it looked:

51578116967_4258ec319a_c.jpg

After that I just assembled everything again. Biggest PITA was removing all the double-sided tape from the upper diffuser and cleaning it all up. I installed the speed nuts I bought last time home, they worked a treat when putting the screws between the upper and lower diffusers:

51579163528_d91f6aa112_c.jpg

Before I buttoned everything up, I ground off the extra muffler hanger I installed last time and relocated/welded it. Unfortunately after a short test drive the muffler ended up offset to the left as it was before. I guess I’m going to have to look at this closer to get it fixed right. No final pictures as you have seen it all before, and it’s hard to see the opening behind the mesh unless your face is right there. I am sure I gained a few MPH due to not having the bumper cover act as a parachute. 😉 I do need to do a little cleanup around things thanks to using acetone for cleaning the old double-sided tape off. I figured six hours of work today was enough.

chiefmg

MOTM July 2015
:
I noticed the upper diffuser was pulling away from the bumper cover. I figured the double-sided tape I had used was just old so bought some new 3M black tape yesterday. Removed the upper diffuser, cleaned it up and installed again. No pictures because it was just the same as before.

Today I stopped by a friend’s house and picked up the horn button he got for me from MATG 25. I couldn’t make it this year but I now have a memento.

51589716651_5b18847bbb_c.jpg

I stopped by the dealer a few days ago and ordered the door weatherstripping because both of them had been damaged at the front from the windows going up too far. Picked up the passenger side today, the driver’s side doesn’t have a delivery date yet. I figure the restock is probably sitting on a ship off Long Beach so who knows when it will arrive?

Latest posts