2013~2016 Here's to the next trouble free 36K

7eregrine

The man, the myth, the legend
:
Land of Cleve
:
2016.5 CX5
Hit the magic number about 3 weeks before the 3 years ran out.
Nothing but oil changes.
Cheers to another trouble free 36K!

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 320
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    190.1 KB · Views: 317
Hey, congrats 7!

Our 2016.5 is at 55k and trouble free so far. Just curious, did you change the transfer case / rear differential oil yet?

Here's the RIMS https://www.tirerack.com/wheels/WheelCloseUpServlet?target=runWheelSearch&initialPartNumber=4357866SB40B&wheelMake=Platinum&wheelModel=Flux&wheelFinish=Black+Painted&autoMake=Mazda&autoModel=CX-5+AWD&autoYear=2016&autoModClar=Grand+Touring
When I originally bought those in 2016 they were on sale on Tirerack for $99/each. Considering Tirerack was selling 17" steel wheels for $79, I splurged the extra $80 and got the Flux rims. Paired with the Blizzack DM-V2 Snows

Our 2016.5 is at 55k and trouble free so far. Just curious, did you change the transfer case / rear differential oil yet?
Thanks! No I did not, and let me tell you why I love my dealer. LOVE LOVE LOVE.
I took the car to its last service at the dealer: oil change and putting on those winter tires. ($69).
I told the service adviser "Go ahead and change the ref differential out, too. I know it should be about time."
Service adviser says "It's not a hard fast rule to change it at 30 or 35. Let me look at it"
Comes out to see me and says "You don't need to change that yet".
Wh-at? I asked you to change it meaning I was good with the cost. He says to wait... wtf? Who does that?
Because of that kind of honesty I may just take my car back for its next oil change.
(Athough maybe that was his PLAN all along.. devious adviser LOL)

Last edited:
Here's the RIMS https://www.tirerack.com/wheels/WheelCloseUpServlet?target=runWheelSearch&initialPartNumber=4357866SB40B&wheelMake=Platinum&wheelModel=Flux&wheelFinish=Black+Painted&autoMake=Mazda&autoModel=CX-5+AWD&autoYear=2016&autoModClar=Grand+Touring
When I originally bought those in 2016 they were on sale on Tirerack for $99/each. Considering Tirerack was selling 17" steel wheels for $79, I splurged the extra $80 and got the Flux rims. Paired with the Blizzack DM-V2 Snows

Thanks! No I did not, and let me tell you why I love my dealer. LOVE LOVE LOVE.
I took the car to its last service at the dealer: oil change and putting on those winter tires. ($69).
I told the service adviser "Go ahead and change the ref differential out, too. I know it should be about time."
Service adviser says "It's not a hard fast rule to change it at 30 or 35. Let me look at it"
Comes out to see me and says "You don't need to change that yet".
Wh-at? I asked you to change it meaning I was good with the cost. He says to wait... wtf? Who does that?
Because of that kind of honesty I may just take my car back for its next oil change.
(Athough maybe that was his PLAN all along.. devious adviser LOL)

Oh wow, kudos to your dealer. I didn't even know there was a way to check to see if it was still good. I thought it was just a drain / fill kind of thing. Definitely going to ask my service adviser if he can check at 60k.

Actually, the rear diff holds such little oil it might actually be worth doing for the cost. I replaced the rear differential oil in my truck around 40k and it was filthy, the drain plug magnet also held some sludge that I cleaned. Factory fills are often dirtier than subsequent fills because of the metallic particles from initial wear. I recall yrwei mentioning he's done it, maybe he can chime in.

Should be easy enough to DIY, should be able to remove fill plug, drain plug, let oil drain, pump fresh Mazda oil in, and replace plugs/washers. Any link to a guide would be helpful for future reference.

Back