Help with selecting Summer / AutoX tires

KrayzieFox

:
01 MP3 Turbo
Hey guys, I need some help here. It's time for new summer street & AutoX tires and I'm having a hell of a time deciding. 99% of my driving will be on the street (mostly highway), and I'll probably do 6 or so AutoX events. I'm not ultra competitive, I just like to go out and have fun.. so performance isn't all that big of a factor for me.

My current tires are Strata Zeno 205/40/R17 (they came stock on the SS Cobalts) and they came with the wheels I bought. I actually didn't mind them, they didn't wear fast, weren't very noisy, but they also didn't offer the greatest traction on the track. That was about the only downfall to them. I would usually end up sliding though hard corners, which kinda sucked cuz I would lose a lot of speed too.

The Potenza RE-01R's are on sale at TireRack.. and I can get them for $45 cheaper through a local tire shop ($350 shipped for all 4), but I'm kinda concerned about the thread wear. Everything I've read about them tells me that they're an amazing performance tire, but no one seems to be able to get more than ~15,000 miles out of them. I'd be willing to sacrifice some of this performance for a little more life, as I really don't AutoX that much and as I said.. I'm not that competitive to really care all that much about how well I do.

Another brand of tires I can get from the local tire place are Coopers. I had a set of 2XS's before and they wore way too fast, but there are these ZPT and Sport A/S I've been eyeballing and they don't look too bad. They're about ~$70 a tire.. so not much less than the Potenzas but they're supposed to last twice as long.

So here's a summary of everything.

Use & Wants
  • Strictly summer (rain and dry use)
  • 99% street
  • Occasional AutoX (some performance wanted, not a huge factor though)
  • Low thread wear (>25,000 miles if possible)

Tire Choices

Bridgestone Potenza RE-01R
(205/45/R17)
Pros: Excellent performance (W-rated); On sale
Cons: Low thread wear rating (180 A A UTQG); Being discontinued

Cooper Zeon ZPT (215/45/R17)
Pros: Cheap; Good thread wear (380 A A UTQG)
Cons: Size options (215/45 may rub, 205/40 are very skinny); Not as good performance (H-rated)

Cooper Zeon Sport A/S (205/45/R17)
Pros: Excellent thread wear rating (400 AA A UTQG); W-rated like the Potenzas
Cons: Price (I don't think these are as cheap as the other choices); Not very aggressive looking (looks like a strictly street oriented tire)

Strata Zeno (215/40/R17)
Pros: VERY cheap; Excellent thread wear rating (400 AA A UTQG)
Cons: Poor traction; Sizes (205/40 are super skinny, 215/40 may rub)

Maxxis Victra MA-Z4S (205/45/R17)
Pros: Also, VERY cheap through local tire shop; Superb thread wear rating (420 AA A); Size options (205/45, 215/40, 205/40.. just about anything I can imagine is available)
Cons: Probably very poor traction; Quality (never heard of the brand..)

Also, these will be going on my Kyowa 17x7 +48 wheels. I'm lowered on Tein H-Techs which isn't TOO low, but I don't think I can get away with 215/45 without rubbing. 205/45 is probably going to be my "safe" and optimal tire size.

I kinda need to pull the trigger on this soon, cuz option #1 is about to go out the window real soon. The price on the Potenzas is ridiculously low and I'm sure they'll all be gone within the next few days (especially my size..)

None of those tires except for the RE01's. You can't have the best of both worlds. If you want a sticky tire, then your thread wear is going to be lower. Can't do anything about it.

RE01's, RT-615's, Direzza's Star Spec, Victoracers?

All great tires that will make you competetive in your local AutoX. It's tough to have both, personally I think the RT615 would be the closest thing you're looking for, but they are still gone by 20k miles.

Good luck.

Gmac

..and I'll probably do 6 or so AutoX events. I'm not ultra competitive, I just like to go out and have fun..

...Everything I've read about them [Potenzas] tells me that they're an amazing performance tire, but no one seems to be able to get more than ~15,000 miles out of them. I'd be willing to sacrifice some of this performance for a little more life, as I really don't AutoX that much and as I said.. I'm not that competitive to really care all that much about how well I do.

None of those tires except for the RE01's. You can't have the best of both worlds. If you want a sticky tire, then your thread wear is going to be lower. Can't do anything about it.

RE01's, RT-615's, Direzza's Star Spec, Victoracers?

All great tires that will make you competetive in your local AutoX. It's tough to have both, personally I think the RT615 would be the closest thing you're looking for, but they are still gone by 20k miles.

Good luck.

Gmac

Thanks for your input Gmac, I appreciate it.

However, your suggestions don't exactly correspond with my needs. As mentioned originally, I'm not really looking for a fantastic AutoX tire.. and that's pretty much all that you're suggesting for me. I'm looking for something more along the lines of medium performance, but longer life. The Potenzas, Azenis, Direzzas would all be nice for AutoX.. but I can't justify getting race oriented tires if I'll use them on the street 99% of the time.

I know I can't have the best of both world.. which is why I created this thread. I'd like to see what else you guys could suggest that will last a while, but not be a complete turd at AutoX.

check out this url: https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned)

i just got them and they are bad ass! especially the price, i was looking for cheap, but these are 400 treadwear, AA traction and A temp FOR $310 SHIPPED!!!! 17's should be even cheaper...

Sorry man, don't take it the wrong way.. but there's no way I'll ever buy tires off eBay. It's the only thing between me and the road and I'm not gonna risk my life in order to save $100 or so.

Having said that, I've also eliminated a few other choices and added a couple. I won't be going with the Zenos again, or the no-name Maxxis.. or the Sport A/S Coopers. The Zenos and Maxxis are just too damn untrustworthy, and the Sport A/S won't be aggressive enough for any type of AutoX. The Potenzas would be killer AutoX tires, but I don't want something that will wear so fast.

Instead, I'm considering the Toyo T1R or the Kumho Ecsta SPT. So my choices are now between:

1. Cooper ZPT
2. Toyo T1R
3. Ecsta SPT

Any input guys?

Ecsta MX. Decent treadwear. Good traction for auto-x, good in rain.

hmmmm I have heard the MX's have terrible treadwear. How about Kumho SPT's? If I were to replace the Advan's this season this would be my choice. But since I should get another season out of them, who knows what will be available this time next year.

KrazieFox, thanks for not flaming me back. I wasn't trying myself, though re-reading my post it sounds like I could be screaming. I hate the internet for that.

Ecsta MX. Decent treadwear. Good traction for auto-x, good in rain.

Anyways, I would say the Ecsta MX or for slightly more tread wear the Ecsta AST.

Again, good luck.

Gmac

Last edited:
Bridgestone Potenza RE-01R!!!!!!
If they are still on sale in a month that is what I am going to get, and I am looking for a tire for very similar reasons as you.

Back