Help Wanted!

hey, i just bought my 2002 mazda protege 5 with 175000kms (used a lot i know). and its completely stock cept for tinted windows, HID high beam, and some bad looking gas pedal. so i was wondering what i should change first or any upgrades that would be cheap but nice (both motor wise and apperance but mainly apperance first). i have around 3000 to spend, give or take a grand. its midnight blue and i fell in love with it! i want to make it unique and noticable! all your help would be great!

Thanks

edit = i have a big question... i want to convert my headlights to HID to have that nice look! which ones do i go for and where do i get it?

Last edited:
full mintblue kit.

easiest and cheapest thing you could change is the antenna... going from the long ass whip to a shorty antenna.

intake and header would probably be the easiest engine bolt on mods to do.... or maybe install a short shifter or springs/coilovers?

wheels, exhaust, front grille, air diversion plate, front lip, eyelids, dgm cf interior pieces if youre into carbon fiber, black out head lights and/or tail lights if you like the look or switch out the tail lights for JDM tails from corksport. All are easy enough appearance mods that arent too taxing on the wallet.

Last edited:
air diversion plate is a pointless ricer mod.

noone gets in their car after putting it on and goes. yeah. i can really feel the air flow over my radiator.

cheap mods
short antenna
tailight tint overlays
foglight overlays
short shifter
intake
Cat back exhaust
header
blackout headlights.

all of that is under 1k for sure. the most expensive being the exhaust and header.

:wtf: he said appearance mods... so i made suggestions, not like im telling him that he has to get it.

thanks for being a dick. (yupnope)

Last edited:
XD

i didnt see the appearance part.

still. i think performance should be done first before appearance...

lol ok i know cat back exhaust is great and that what i was thinking of getting first. how much would that exhaust cost? and is it the full kit or should i just get the back? also the intake, should i get the injen cold air? or one of those ones that are on ebay for cheap? and for the eyelids, are there ones that you can bolt in ontop of the headlights? or should i just the ones that can you just stick on?

something like this?

antenna - http://cgi.ebay.ca/JDM-SHORT-ANTENNA-MAZDA-6-MAZDA-3-PROTEGE-5-NISSAN-350Z_W0QQitemZ110230180018QQihZ001QQcategoryZ33639QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Intake - http://cgi.ebay.ca/02-05-Mazda-Protege-5-MP3-MP5-Air-Intake-blue-filter_W0QQitemZ140211807333QQihZ004QQcategoryZ38634QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Last edited:
cheap mods
short antenna - POINTLESS RICER MOD
tailight tint overlays - POINTLESS RICER MOD
foglight overlays - POINTLESS RICER MOD
intake - POINTLESS on the FS/DE
blackout headlights. - POINTLESS RICER MOD

all of that is under 1k for sure. the most expensive being the exhaust and header.

Don't be such an ass...appearance seems pretty important to you, but you don't think the diverter is appearance...damn...

EDIT...GUESS YOU GOT IT ALREADY>>>NOW I"M THE ASS

a lot of gas over the past four years. Jk. Most mods are listed in my sig

Apperance: dg front lip, dg cf mirror covers, dg radio plate, dg ps cf apiller, cf shift plate, mint blue side skirts, speedzone rear lip (not installed yet), cf shift boot, dg cf grill, hids, cf fuel door, aem uego, aem volt gauge and some other stuff i cant remember off the top of my head

Last edited:
a lot of gas over the past four years. Jk. Most mods are listed in my sig

Apperance: dg front lip, dg cf mirror covers, dg radio plate, dg ps cf apiller, cf shift plate, mint blue side skirts, speedzone rear lip (not installed yet), cf shift boot, dg cf grill, hids, cf fuel door, aem uego, aem volt gauge and some other stuff i cant remember off the top of my head

sorry im a noob... but whats dg?

and where would i get a mint blue kit?

lol ok i know cat back exhaust is great and that what i was thinking of getting first. how much would that exhaust cost? and is it the full kit or should i just get the back? also the intake, should i get the injen cold air? or one of those ones that are on ebay for cheap? and for the eyelids, are there ones that you can bolt in ontop of the headlights? or should i just the ones that can you just stick on?

something like this?

antenna - http://cgi.ebay.ca/JDM-SHORT-ANTENNA-MAZDA-6-MAZDA-3-PROTEGE-5-NISSAN-350Z_W0QQitemZ110230180018QQihZ001QQcategoryZ33639QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Intake - http://cgi.ebay.ca/02-05-Mazda-Protege-5-MP3-MP5-Air-Intake-blue-filter_W0QQitemZ140211807333QQihZ004QQcategoryZ38634QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I bought that intake and it has works great with a K&N filter on it. From what I understand the tubing on an intake s all pretty much the same so why pay more for a brand name.

sorry im a noob... but whats dg?

and where would i get a mint blue kit?

dg = dgmotorsports.com
I found my mintblue(a.k.a spiker) side skirts at kitworkz808.com

About the turbo. It can be had at protegegarage.com
if u go that route I would do forged internals

lol one stupid question coming up but... i know that MSP and MP5 have the same engine, so why does the MSP and the MP5 have different horsepowers?

and i've seen a lot of protege 5's with a new air intake... and im looking at mine and mine is covered by a box... lol also theres a vent that leads to the air intake. do i have to remove that and keep it off my car if i want to change the intake?

also can anyone 2nd what jhillzoom said about the intakes?

Last edited:
the msp is turboed.

the pipiing is piping. as long as the piping width of area where the MAF plugs into is the same size as stock it should be fine. but make sure you get a quality air filter on there.

lol one stupid question coming up but... i know that MSP and MP5 have the same engine, so why does the MSP and the MP5 have different horsepowers?

also can anyone 2nd what jhillzoom said about the intakes?

the only thing different about the msp and p5 is the fact that the msp is turbo'd. other than that the motor is completely the same.

i do not know much about p5's but in my opinion, i think you should spend the 3k on: ebay intake, obx header, exhaust, midpipe, lowering springs, front strut bar, short shifter, find some decent wheels, shorty antenna, batmobile overlays. not sure what that comes up to haha. but you'd have a quicker, better stability, and look a lil nicer. good luck with your decision.

if you go turbo, put the kit together yourself and you'll save a lot of money! good luck again

i forgot to say... my MP5 is auto... (getout)

if there was a cheaper way other than buying a new car... i'd do it to make it manual...

Back