2013 2.2 AWD NAV Sport - Electronics meltdown. SCBS / Key System / Locking / Dash

Hi, we have had our CX-5 2013 2.2 AWD NAV for 8 years now without so much as a blip.
Yesterday whilst on the motorway, the SCBS and Keyless system inspection warnings illuminated. At the same time the centre console started playing up. The car drove fine and got us there and back.
This morning I disconnected the battery for 20 mins, checked the terminals and cleaned up / new vaseline etc., disconnected the earth flylead, cleaned with electrical cleaner and reconnected. The battery (Varta) is only 3 months old.

Today we set off and had no warnings. Then after about 3 miles, the warnings came back on. When we parked up I could not open the tailgate, amber locking lights have stopped working and now the fuel gauge has gone to empty even though I filled the car yesterday.
Dash continues to play up flashing on and off.

Anyone had theirs go into complete metdown before? Car continues to drive fine. Windscreen has no chips and is clean where all the sensrs are.

Thanks in advance

Sounds like a bad battery or connection. An electrical supply issue.

Love to hear "8 years of trouble free on" your 2.2 diesel! 😁

Sounds like a bad battery or connection. An electrical supply issue.

Love to hear "8 years of trouble free on" your 2.2 diesel! 😁
Hi, HF and thanks for the reply. The battery is is only 3 months old and i went for a Varta. It's starting fine with no drag, even this morning with -2 temps. I've cleaned up the fly lead from the battery to body as well as both terminals. I' wondering if maybe there is a termina or additional earth that may be has soe moisture in it? Just gone back ut to it and amber lights, dash and tailgate now working again so it must be something intermittet.

As for the rest of the car, other than usual overnight disc corrosion (compulsory on every Mazda I've owned), it's been excellent.

Have you ever had any water leaks around the A-pillars from say clogged sunroof drains? stock windshield?

Hi, HF and thanks for the reply. The battery is is only 3 months old and i went for a Varta. It's starting fine with no drag, even this morning with -2 temps. I've cleaned up the fly lead from the battery to body as well as both terminals. I' wondering if maybe there is a termina or additional earth that may be has soe moisture in it? Just gone back ut to it and amber lights, dash and tailgate now working again so it must be something intermittet.

As for the rest of the car, other than usual overnight disc corrosion (compulsory on every Mazda I've owned), it's been excellent.
Could the battery wires be bad? How stiff are they? Had to replace them on another car to resolve strange electrical issues.

Sounds like there's a bad ground somewhere. Could easily be a corroded terminal, or a frayed wire.

You'll need the schematics to trace common points that these systems share.

New battery could also be bad.
Please check the voltage of your battery with engine running and without.
Each cell holds 2.1v, and there are 6 of them => 2.1v * 6 = 12.6v for a healthy battery. With engine running, you should see voltage from 13 to 14v.
Get a trimeter from autozone or Walmart for less than $20 if you don't have one already. It is very useful to have. :)

No! Checking the battery voltage is a waste of time. What matters is how it behaves under load. Go to a large autoparts store like AutoZone and have them load test the battery for free. That will tell you if the battery is bad, low voltage could be wiring, charging system, etc. Do it right.

Hi, thanks for your answers. Battery is new (less than 3 months old) and I've checked all connections.
I will get it tested though.
I'm in the UK so will have to use our equivalent.
Still has original screen and no leaks.
what I did note was that it was all fine until I got onto the motorway and then once up to around 70mph, it came on. After the car ws parked up the other end, it all went off nd again didn't come back on until I got up to motorway speed. However, it seems to be on permnently now.

I might try bridging out the wires just in case.
Thanks again guys.

Hi Smiley, I have a 2.0 petrol, like you 8 years no issues until 3 weeks ago. First problem was reverse camera became intermittent and has now completely failed, was just ignoring for now and going to replace later. Yesterday I got SCBC inspection warning, keylock system inspection warning, airbag light flashing, boot wont open, petrol gauge reads empty........and a few other things. On investigation today I have removed the reverse camera and opened up to find water inside. I expect this occured when blasted at a car wash. A quick test seems ok except SBCS inspection warning still showing but all other problems seem to have gone, I'm hoping to prove this caused earth fault that upset all the other things. I will update after I have driven for a couple of days with camera disconnected.

If anyone knows how to clear SCBS that would be appreciated.

Back