HELP - Leaking Fuel from Rear

shindou26

:
2002 Mazda Protege5
Update 2:
The metal thing is actually made out of plastic. It's actually kinda cheap, but seems somewhat important.

We took it into an auto parts store and they had no idea what it was or could even give me a clue to it. Instead, we bypassed it with a nipple hose connection.

My P5 isn't leaking anymore, but we still have no idea what the part is or what it is used for. I'm going to take it into a few other places and see if I could get any leads.

= = =
Update 1:
Well, it looks like it leaking from the hose. Still no idea what that metal part is. I've looked for diagrams, but haven't found anything.

= = =
Hello everyone! I've been on the forums for a while and have looked through it since I got my P5 and it's been amazing. Today, I need your help.

I'm leaking what looks like and smells like gasoline by my rear driver side wheel. Came home and just saw a puddle that smelled like unleaded. I went to see where it was leaking and found the culprit, but I have no idea what part it is.

The leak is coming from the round metal thing. It's my first time see it and I have no clue what it is called. It looks like an easy fix as it is only connected by two hoses that I need to clip off and pull. You can actually see the leak from that little blur near the middle-bottom of the picture. This metal thing can be reached from outside the car without needing to lift the car up or anything and you can actually see it if you lower yourself towards the ground.

I know for sure it isn't the fuel filter or fuel pump as those are no where

Any help would be appreciated!

Last edited:

Yes, it is a check valve! I was able to take it in today to the dealership and order a new one, which will be here by tomorrow. The check valve only costed me a little under $7, so I'm not complaining at all, since I expected it to cost so much more.

I talked to one of the mechanics there and asked what it was used for. From what he said, it's used to control the pressure to make sure it only goes one way whether it be a vapor or a liquid in this case. I can't wait for it to get here, so I can start driving my P5 again.

Back