Help finding right price for CX-5

Hello,

I'm looking to buy my first Mazda CX-5 and this is my first time buying a car from a dealer as well. Looking for some advice on what a good deal OTD for this vehicle would be? What price OTD would you shoot for?

This would be for Iowa which has 7% sales tax. Not sure what registration/tags/title would run.

Personally, I don't deal with out the door price. I know there's going to be tax title and license on every car, and except for the local difference will be the same everywhere. Even they like asking what you want to pay out the door so they know where to hide the figures. Without regard to what they're charging me for the overpriced window tint or the make-believe paint shield, I only go by what is my final price before I add tax title and license. To me it makes it easier to compare One Price against another

Personally, I don't deal with out the door price. I know there's going to be tax title and license on every car, and except for the local difference will be the same everywhere. Even they like asking what you want to pay out the door so they know where to hide the figures.

I only go by what is my final price before I add tax title and license. To me it makes it easier to compare One Price against another
This is the right answer.
I never understand why so many people use OTD pricing.

It is a useless figure on a forum like this, because everyone's tax rates and title/registration fees vary so wildly.
And it doesn't make sense to use yourself when soliciting prices from several dealers. Tax rates vary depending on what county/municipality you live in. The OTD pricing likely isn't going to be a good apples-to-apples comparison, because dealers will be using different tax rates.

Thanks I appreciate the advice! If I'm making an offer on the Mazda above how do I set what a good deal would be? Obviously I could just buy it for the price listed. According to CarGurus it's listed as a Fair Price.

If I'm making an offer on the Mazda above how do I set what a good deal would be?
Go to this thread.
Start at the most recent post and work your way backward.
Use the lowest price you find as your benchmark.

However, keep in mind that many of the prices there are unusable, because people post OTD numbers.
You need to either find prices that do not include tax & govt fees, or subtract those fees from the OTD number (if the poster provided this info).

I looked at that thread, however, those all look to be brand new vehicle purchases. The one above is a used 2018 Touring model.

Used car pricing is not discussed on these forums much. There are individual threads just like the one you created. Having said that - used car prices have crashed in the last 2 months. Hertz is very close to bankruptcy and many dealers have refused to take in lease completed vehicles because there are no sales to be had and because there is no place to store or park these vehicles. People have to video tape them leaving their lease return cars in the dealer parking lot and returning the keys.
If you have a trade in vehicle - the dealer will most likely offer you really low ball offer right now. CX5 is a regular economy car and its resale may have suffered the same fate.

The car was 29K new and was a Touring with PEP - so really a great trim choice in the entire CX5 lineup. I would say new in 2018 the best price would be 24000-26000 or so + Taxes. This is the top 1-5% price and it means 95% of the folks paid more than this.
Take 2 years depreciation + 27K miles so you really have very little bumper to bumper warranty left - you may actually have none based on when it was first sold. I would say 18-19K seems right around a good deal. $20K is okish deal. $21700 is high. If you don't have too many in this trim and you really want the color and trim - 20~20.5K is probably ok.

If you can't negotiate on price you can always ask freebies instead. I got a rear dimming mirror on my car instead of price drop. Both dealer and I worked it out. with CX5 you can either get it CPO'd chances are low, or you can get some accessories thrown in.

I've never bought new before until I got my CX-5. The CX holds it value well enough that I bought (leased) my 2019 CX-5, and if I was buying now I'd lease a 2020. The new/used price difference isn't that big compared to some of these 17-19s. A 2020 car starting with a full warranty and zero miles will be worth more in the future than any 2017-2019 used CX. The effective APR (money factor) is almost 0% with the lease I did last August, so I have the flexibility of buying the car at the end of the lease in 2022 if the miles are low and the Carfax is still good.

Back