Help: 2000 Protege ES rear suspension rattle/knock/thumping/suicide noise

elesjuan

:
2000 Mazda Protege ES, 1995 MX-5 TD04E @ 20psi
Hey everyone. I've got a 2000 Protege ES with 250,000 miles and 100% stock suspension all around* that developed a noise I can hardly describe a couple years ago from the rear end... This noise sounds like a banging/knocking/rattling of something which seems to reverberate through the entire car. Faster you go, the more intense/louder it becomes and seems to be generated by suspension movement across bumpy pavement. Threw my gopro on the inside of the trunk lid to try and capture this sound but you couldn't really hear it, shockingly.

Placed the body on jack stands and crawled under the rear inspecting everything I can see. Grabbed the struts and shook the car, checked wheels for wobble, inspected all bushings on the control arms.. Removed absolutely EVERY possible item from the trunk, searched for anything that could have fallen into a 'hidden' area of the trunk... I just can't find what the hell is making this noise and it's literally affecting my mood / mental state after driving the vehicle. Any long trips over about 30 minutes gives me a giant migraine so I have GOT to figure this out!

• Rear Wheel bearings have ~50,000 miles
  • Rear sway bar end links failed and have been removed, swaybar still present
  • Rear passenger upper strut mount rusted through, replaced and did not change noise

I need to install the replacement sway bar end links, and should probably look into replacement of the struts and maybe springs but I refuse to just throw money at the car to try and solve the noise.. Spent a few hours on the internet looking for someone else who has this noise and came up with nothing.. Any help / suggestions someone can give me would be MORE than appreciated. Help me love my protege again!

Was really hoping someone else had this issue and knew the cause. Update though:

Jacked the car up and placed wheels on ramps then had a friend bounce the back of the car while I was inside to see if the noise continued, which it did. Crawled under it and looked around, everything looked fine but the noise continued. Eventually discovered the noise appears to be coming from BOTH of the rear struts! I can put my hand on the strut while the car is bouncing and feel a popping from the strut.

$326.25 later and I've ordered 4 new KYB GR-2 struts along with 2 front and 1 rear upper strut mounts. Hopefully after they're installed this noise will be like a bad dream, gone but not forgotten.

At that mileage the struts are long dead and would definitely cause a clunk...sway bar bushings probably need to be replaced as well, and the end links. All of those will make it clunk.

I can happily report the case is closed.

Today I replaced all 4 struts and mounts and wish I had done so years ago. The ride is amazing and best of all my noise went away! Can't believe how much this has improved my enjoyment level driving this little car again!!!!

Now if I could just get a better drivers seat and maybe some boost..... (rofl)

Back