Hello there, New MAZDA5 owner

:
MAZDA CX-5 Touring
Hello guys, I'm in Colorado and I'm glad I found this forum.

I'm getting my first Mazda, a 2006 Mazda5 Touring with 63K on Wednesday morning.
I love cars and I owned so many to count, mostly Acuras and Hondas.
I currently drive a 06' Honda Accord Coupe V6-L.

I made the decision on Mazda 5 based on lots of research and, the fact that it was built in Japan is a plus. I drove the new 2010 Mazda 3 last month and love the way it drove, maybe and a few years down the line I'll get one.

After I get the Mazda 5 on Wednesday, the first mod will be the backup sensors and a Python remote start I removed out of the Rav4 I'm trading in.

The main driver will be the wife.
I tested drove the car this morning and it felt like it is fun to drive.
I love the interior too and since I am big on safety, I love all the air bags all around to keep the family safe.

Any suggestions on what to look for?
Any info on the tranny? meaning, does it has to be flush, when, what type of oil?
I was told that the engine comes with a metal chain so not timing belt expense.
I was told to change the spark plugs at 75K
I'll also change the cabin filter. Any idea where to get it besides the stealership?
What else should I do? I'll like to take care of all my cars.

What type of radio is installed, how good is it, upgrade, does it reads Mp3 files?

Thanks in advance

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum! Good to see so many 5-owners getting into the car instead of treating it like a transportation appliance.

Since its a Touring, I assume its a 4-speed auto trans. They still recommend doing fluid flushes every 30K. If the fluid is NOT bright pink-red, don't flush the fluid, but instead do 3-4 drain and fill fluid exchanges, since it may not have gotten that first flush and we here don't want you to flush out pieces of gunk that may wear out the tranny prematurely. I hope you get a book - its got lots of good bits in it, such as maintenance schedules and fluid types. If you want to make this a long-term keeper, maybe make the switch from dyno oil to syth. Since the warranty is done and gone, you can extend the recommended oil changes by about 30% w/full synth if you put normal wear and tear on the car.
Other big '06 problems are the following: the cargo door inside latches probably have failed and been replaced. If opening those doors from the inside doesn't feel "tighty connected" be ready, as they probably had not failed over the last 4 years.
The rear suspension bushings make noise when going over bumps and when its cold. Most likely that was addressed, as it was the biggest complaint, along with the chrome exhaust tip that needed to be added by dealers cuz some less-attentive owners were driving the auto-trans cars near redline in low gears and burning the bumper.
My A/C compressor made funny noises and the dealer replaced in-warranty.
Also, many '06-'07 owners are finding that the tailgate visor thet covers the 3rd brake light and hinges can crack above the hinges. Mazda thinkened up the panel for '08s, and those of us who got the cracks got new tailgate doors supposedly built to the new spec.

The Touring 6-disc changer is NOT mp3 ready unless it has "mp3" printed on one of the fake buttons on the upper left - I think that was an upgrade that may have been packaged with the auto HVAC. I am not sure, but I am sure one of the many other members can clear that up.
Your family should really love this car. I know my kids love it.

If the fluid is NOT bright pink-red, don't flush the fluid, but instead do 3-4 drain and fill fluid exchanges.=WITH THE HONDA ELEMENT/ACCORD, WE DO IT EVERY 60K AND DO THE FILL UP, DRIVE FEW BLOCKS AND FILL UP AGAIN. REPEAT THE PROCESS 3 TIMES=9 QUARTERS OF OIL=HONDA TRANNY OIL. NO FLUSH.

I hope you get a book=I GOT ACCESS TO THE OWNERS MANUAL ONLINE FROM MAZDA.COM

If you want to make this a long-term keeper, maybe make the switch from dyno oil to syth.=I MIGHT HEAD THAT ROUTE
Other big '06 problems are the following: the cargo door inside latches probably have failed and been replaced. THANKS FOR ALL THIS INFO

If opening those doors from the inside doesn't feel "tighty connected" be ready=WHAT DO U MEAN?

The Touring 6-disc changer is NOT mp3 ready unless it has "mp3" printed on one of the fake buttons on the upper left=HOW GOOD IS THE RADIO?

I know my kids love it=MY KID CANT' WAIT

I am planning on doing the cabin filter change ASA I get the 5. I'll check it.

I'll pick it up tomorrow.

Again, thanks for all the info.

If opening those doors from the inside doesn't feel "tighty connected" be ready=WHAT DO U MEAN?

When I got mine, both switches were bad - opening the door from the inside the lever felt kind of disconnected - like there was something in between the latch and the lever.

A good latch will feel firm when you go to open it.

Welcome to the Mazda 5, I got my 2006 about 2 weeks ago.

I immediately did an engine oil and filter change, new air filter, new spark plugs and finally a tranny fluid and filter change. Mine had been a lease return and the tranny fluid change was suggested by the dealer as it was overdue. If you do the plugs they are about $15 each (Cdn) and changing them was a 1 hour job at the garage ($65)... apparently the plugs are hard to get at.

I wanted all the fluids up to date so I could start keeping track of them and get on a regular service schedule.

Oh yeah, I got snow tires ASAP, then windows tinted (mostly for looks) and then I got wheel covers to cover-up the steel rims that the snow tires are on.

It's been going great and the family loves it... my 15 year old daughter is excited about the prospect of driving it next year... imagine that, excited about a minivan.

Good luck,
AL

Since you listen to .mp3s, look for an aftermarket radio. www.crutchfield.com

Make sure you get at least two keys. If you only get one key you will have to pay the dealer 1 or 1.5 hours of labor to program a second key. If you have two keys, you can program a third by yourself.

You can get the cabin filter for $25.27 from this site: http://www.mazdaparts.org/maintenace7.html which is a Mazda dealer. Free shipping on orders over $100. They also have a good deal on Mazda oil filters, and don't forget the drain plug washer. You don't necessarily have to replace the washer every time, but it's cheap insurance.

Pick up the Mazda spark plugs, air filter, cabin filter, 5-pack of oil filters (with wrench) and you are over $100. Per that site, the spark plugs are supposed to be changed at 60,000 miles so they are due. Do you need $12 spark plugs? I don't really know.

Last edited:
Back