Hella Horn Issue

Flash5

Corners > Straight Lines
:
2002 Mazda P5
So I tried to figure this out but came up with nothing. I rarely hit the horn in my car but the other day I went to hit them and nothing happened. I was really confused but figured it was just a loose wire. Checked the wires but couldn't find anything wrong and the fuse is good too.

When I hit the horn I hear a clicking coming from the fuse box but that's it. So I just want to hear if any of you guys/girls have any ideas. I hate electrical stuff so I am befuddled at what it may be. I really hope it isn't the horns, I have only had them for just over a year!

Make sure the horn is getting 12V... Have someone press the horn then measure the voltage at the horn. The red lead of the voltage meter goes to the wire leading up to the horn (shove it into the connector), the black lead is connected to some exposed metal in the engine bay. If there's no voltage you'll have to work your way back to find out where the open circuit is.

You should also try swapping fuses just to make sure, sometimes a fuse looks fine but can be popped.

yea i was hoping i wouldnt have to go through all the wiring more in depth but i might have to, I will also swap the fuses and see what happens, thanks!

anyone else have an idea?

The horn circuitry is pretty simple.
Power from the battery goes through the 100amp main fuse, then through the 15amp horn fuse, then through the horn relay (which is what you hear clicking) then directly to the horn.
If your relay is clicking, then all the fuses are good.
The horn will sound when the relay energizes.
There are two (2) ways that the horn relay will energize.
- By pressing the horn button on the steering wheel
- From the keyless control module when you lock your doors remotely.
Does your horn sound when you do this?
The simplest way to troubleshoot is to put a meter or test light directly on the positive wire at the horn, push the button and see if you have 12 volts.
If you do, then your horn is shot.

Thanks for the reply Pauljp, I actually have a viper alarm system so when I lock the doors the horn would never sound. But luckily I had my old fob lying around. Went outside and gave it a try, locks went fine but the horn never sounded. Tomorrow I am going to go outside and really go through all the wiring, I really am praying it is not the horns. I am hoping its is just a loose wire or something along that line.

I got them working again! I went through all the wiring and I think the stock horn wire came loose but all is good again!

Back