Heaviness after sound deadening?

q1054521247q

:
CX5 17GT,21SIG
Hi,
So I have done sound deadening to my cx5 on all 5 doors and trunk. I have the spare tire removed to save extra weight but still does not help the fact that sound deadening added so much weight on the door. It makes the car turn BAD. What can I do to help reduce body roll and turn better? will adding a front strut bar help or many rear sway bar?

oh, forgot to mention larger tires and rims did add a lot of weight to the car too. But I don't think this made the car turn as bad compared to the sound deadening mat. those mats are a nightmare to take off so no idea what to do.

I'm willing to bet that it's the wheels/tires that are contributing the most to the change in the way the car drives.

Change in wheel weight, along with a different tire, wider/thinner rim, change in rim offset, tire pressure. All of that can affect the way the car drives.

Ok so this makes little sense!
But let me start by saying DO NOT increase the % of the front bar until you have first increased the % of the rear bar and learned to drive with that increase in anti-body roll. Please NOTE I wrote which is % not diameter. Larger diameter does not mean a larger % over OEM You need to read specifically what the chosen aftermarket roll bars will do.

Ok so here is my confusion....
Removing your spare tire will not really effect the over all handling unless you are slalom racing or cone chasing in a parking lot or Road Track racing. Leave your spare if their is still room for it.

Ok so here is where it makes little sense about your assessment of your Mazda s handling characteristics with your upgrades?
Based on what you say you covered "5 doors and trunk" a single layer of say FAT MAT (one of the best companies for sound deadening material)
The total square feet used would weigh on the hi side 72 lbs. (in reality more like 65lbs) This would be spread almost evenly on the suspension maybe a dropping the rear at rest by 1/8 to 1/4 inch??? Maybe?

This would effect you steering on a 200 foot skid G force by about -2 mph (maybe?).

I might suggest that what you may be experiencing is the sound quality has improved and has worked on you physiologically thinking that your Mazda has significantly more roll in turns than it actually does.

I would recommend the rear sway bar upgrade even if you had not added the sound deadening material.

I was also going to ask what brand and how much sound deadening were added?

Thinking out loud, not on a CX5, but on my 4 wheel vehicles (SUV's and car, not motorcycle), I do not notice any difference when my wife and 2 kids get in the vehicle as far as handling. I'm sure there is some effect, but not enough to notice. I wouldn't expect there to be a noticeable change by adding some sound deadening.

So tires and rims upgrade was done before sound deadening. At that, I did notice a little heavier when turning. But after the sound deadening, it was way heavier to turn. like If I have to turn right (into a street) I have to slow the car down to almost a complete stop to turn in. or else the passenger will feel like flying to the other side.

for tires and rims
245/50/19 Michelin pilot sport all season 4 from discount tire.
wheels are 19 X8.5 5-114.30 offset40 drag dr80 from discount tire.

for sound deadening
2 box of Noico 80 mil 18 sqft car Sound deadening mat.

I was also going to ask what brand and how much sound deadening were added?

Thinking out loud, not on a CX5, but on my 4 wheel vehicles (SUV's and car, not motorcycle), I do not notice any difference when my wife and 2 kids get in the vehicle as far as handling. I'm sure there is some effect, but not enough to notice. I wouldn't expect there to be a noticeable change by adding some sound deadening.
After the sound deadening mat is applied. I do notice a big difference in city driving and for speeds under 65mph. For rocky country roads only a small difference

Ok so this makes little sense!
But let me start by saying DO NOT increase the % of the front bar until you have first increased the % of the rear bar and learned to drive with that increase in anti-body roll. Please NOTE I wrote which is % not diameter. Larger diameter does not mean a larger % over OEM You need to read specifically what the chosen aftermarket roll bars will do.

Ok so here is my confusion....
Removing your spare tire will not really effect the over all handling unless you are slalom racing or cone chasing in a parking lot or Road Track racing. Leave your spare if their is still room for it.

Ok so here is where it makes little sense about your assessment of your Mazda s handling characteristics with your upgrades?
Based on what you say you covered "5 doors and trunk" a single layer of say FAT MAT (one of the best companies for sound deadening material)
The total square feet used would weigh on the hi side 72 lbs. (in reality more like 65lbs) This would be spread almost evenly on the suspension maybe a dropping the rear at rest by 1/8 to 1/4 inch??? Maybe?

This would effect you steering on a 200 foot skid G force by about -2 mph (maybe?).

I might suggest that what you may be experiencing is the sound quality has improved and has worked on you physiologically thinking that your Mazda has significantly more roll in turns than it actually does.

I would recommend the rear sway bar upgrade even if you had not added the sound deadening material.
I did not know removing spare will not help with the weight lol. The other reason I removed the spare is that they will not fit in the front of the car plus the car came with free lifetime roadside assist.
Which one of the rear sway bars is a good option for me? and should I get the front strut bar on the top too or not? I hear someone mention front sway bar is hard to get to anyways.

Well the choice of rear sway bars that I can give tested information is as follows.

Eibach will have an improvement in handling turns over stock that is notable but not decrease the ride comfort.
Racing Beat will be very notable and will have a increase feeling the road more but you will reduce understeer noticeably but not to the point you can not drive through any twenties and not have to over think how to turn and throttle and brake.
CorkSport is not for the faint of heart. You will reduce understeer to the point that you will need to invest in upgraded struts and shock as well front sway bar to balance and make everything work together. By itself it will make for some unpredictable handling characteristics when used alone without the other suspension upgrades.

Just to be clear we like all 3 companies and their quality product backed by a great customer service team.
We have installed and test all 3 on Mazda's and a couple other platforms and measure the before and after difference on a 200 foot skid pad.

I did not know removing spare will not help with the weight lol. The other reason I removed the spare is that they will not fit in the front of the car plus the car came with free lifetime roadside assist.
Which one of the rear sway bars is a good option for me? and should I get the front strut bar on the top too or not? I hear someone mention front sway bar is hard to get to anyways.
I would not eliminate the spare because you have roadside assist. I had to call RS assist one night and it took them 6 hours to find a tow. What happens if the service you call doesn't have a tire?
Probably spray fix-a-flat and ruin the tire.

I'm going with @Tribe&TrueRacin hypothesis that the sound deadening has quieted things down and the OP is at a higher speed when turning than before . His seat-o-the-pants-o-meter needs recalibrated 😁

Back