Heads Up Display vs Pothole (CX-9)

:
2018 Mazda CX-9 GT
Just as fyi, since i first got the 2018 cx9 gt, my HUD was able to show everything, but the top edge would be right on that bubble of not being able to see it, even at the lowest level for height adjustment but was still fine. I was coming back home last night & saw what looked like 2 pot holes in row. I thought i was over far enough, but ended up hitting both with left tires. the potholes were big enough to create 2 consecutive bangs that scared the crap out of me, but after hitting them, i noticed that my heads up display moved in such a way that now at the lowest setting for the height adjustment i'm only seeing about 1/2 - 2/3 of the info in the section where the Mazda directions or traffic signs show.

I also initially had the HBC (High Beam Control ) go from green to Amber & i had an amber light for the LED headlight come on. When I got home a few minutes later i turned off the car & turned it back on & the LED warning went away & the HBC turned back to green, but the HUD is still messed up. Since I'm out of warranty I'm assuming I'm S O L & it the cost wouldn't be worth getting it looked at or fixed.

When it rains it pours. I just got my car back a couple weeks a few weeks ago after having the engine replaced due to the cracked cylinder head, then some scratched up the front right fender, then some hit the rear end in Home Depot parking lot (pushed in bottom right corner of hatch), my Mazda Connect screen is showing spider cracking in upper right corner & now this. Luckily the tires didn't blow out, but I have no idea yet if it screwed up the alignment (assuming it did).

Time to trade it in before it sinks in value and/or it goes out of warranty. Too many little issues to keep it around.

Different system, but someone on the old flip up heads up display had success by disconnecting the battery for about an hour. Forcing the system to reset. It might be worth a shot bit i have no idea if it will work on a 2018.

Ditch it at CarMax, carvanna or vroom or see what you can get as a trade in at a dealer after looking up KBB and Black book prices. Used car prices remain high while new car prices are softening up and there are deals that can be made.

Hi did you ever resolve your issue with the HUD? I'm having the same problem

Hi did you ever resolve your issue with the HUD? I'm having the same problem
i had taken the car in a few months later because of a CVT joint issue (luckily that was still covered under the powertrain warranty). i had mentioned to them about the HUD & what happened & if they could take a look. They had a the car for a few days, & when i went to pu the car I forgot to ask them about the HUD. after a day or 2 of having the car back, I noticed the HUD was normal again. Not sure what they did (of if they did anything at all).

I'm going to have them check ours. The top half of the HUD is now out of my view too. Never used to be. Why would these be sensitive to bumps in an automobile?

Last edited:
Back