• Support M247: Allow Ads or Register (fewer ads)

2016~2021 Has anybody tried All-Terrain tyres?

:
2020 CX-9 Touring
Hi,

Has anybody tried All-Terrain tyres on the CX-9? Does it give a stiffer or softer driving feel?

Thanks!

Sorry, do you mean like small truck tires?

I was at Firestone getting my wifes' car serviced and looking at tires and was thinking the same thing.

:
2020 CX-9 Touring
Sorry, do you mean like small truck tires?

I was at Firestone getting my wifes' car serviced and looking at tires and was thinking the same thing.
I mean ocasionally off-road tyres, like the pics! I reckon Toyota Land Cruiser uses this.
Just curious about the steering feeling with them on CX9.
102533-kumho-road-venture-at51.jpg 104055-pirelli-scorpion-all-terrain-plus.jpg

If i use my winter tires as a comparison. The steering feel will be less direct and less precise and they will probably be more noisy. Of course that depends how aggressive of a tire you choose.

The ride would generally be softer, but that also depends on the load rating of the tire. If you pick a truck tire with a very high load rating, the tire and ride may actually be pretty stiff.

You used a land cruiser in comparison, a car with literally no steering feel ;). It may not be that bad depending on the tire you choose, but steering will most likely be softer than on street tires.

Natey

Contributor
Patron
We took the 20s off of our 4runner for 17s and some tires with more sidewall and the ride got much smoother. The tires are definitely louder because of the aggressive tread, but the actual ride got better. It soaks up potholes and bumps in the road much more smoothly. It doesn't corner as confidently as before on smooth surfaces, but the 4runner was never exactly a touge machine anyway.

Not to mention it flies across the deep sand now without even airing down the tires. (y)

We put Pirelli Scorpions on.

Last edited:
Hey folks, I'm new here. Just purchased a 2017 CX-9 GS-L. I am also curious about switching to a more agressive tire. I do a bit of driving in the woods and in winter I also deal with a lot of snow. The open country AT3's are intriguing me...Anyone running anything else? Suggestions?

Thanks!

karthik

Mazda CX9 2016
I have a 2016 CX-9 touring AWD which is currently on the stock OEM Yokos 255/60/r18. I'm planning on changing to Falken Wild Peak AT3w 265/60r18. This setup is slightly ooutside of the tolerance limit, and there would be a slight change in speedometer, but I guess that should be ok. I've heard good review about the Falken wildpeaks and wanted to try them out.

I have a 2016 CX-9 touring AWD which is currently on the stock OEM Yokos 255/60/r18. I'm planning on changing to Falken Wild Peak AT3w 265/60r18. This setup is slightly ooutside of the tolerance limit, and there would be a slight change in speedometer, but I guess that should be ok. I've heard good review about the Falken wildpeaks and wanted to try them out.
We put 30k miles on our Falken Wildpeak AT3Ws in 2020. We drove through torrential downpours in Florida during the summer with no issue. We drove through the whiteout conditions and icy mountains of Montana, Idaho, and Washington during the middle of winter with no issue. They aren’t that loud on the road. I absolutely love them. I am due for new tires in a month or so and was trying to figure out if I wanted to go with the Wildpeak Trails or the AT3W. The Trails come in the correct size and are less aggressive than the AT3W but I am anxious to hear what you think of the AT3W on this vehicle!

karthik

Mazda CX9 2016
Interesting, I'm not able to find Falken Wildpeak Trails in 255/60/r18 its only available in "65". Did you run your CX9 on Wildpeak AT3Ws ?

Interesting, I'm not able to find Falken Wildpeak Trails in 255/60/r18 its only available in "65". Did you run your CX9 on Wildpeak AT3Ws ?
You’re right. I was looking at the stock 20” size. I should have clarified the vehicle too. I have run the Wildpeak AT3W on our 4Runner. I will be going with a larger size of the AT3W when it needs new tires because they are so good.

My debate on the CX-9 was keeping it at 20” wheels and powder coating/painting the wheels bronze (or replacing with bronze wheels if I can find something I like) with 255/50/20 Trails or go for a more rugged look with 18” wheels (maybe Black Rhino Arsenal) and 265/60/18 AT3Ws. I haven’t added weights up but I would guess the 18” wrapped in AT3Ws would be considerably heavier.

karthik

Mazda CX9 2016
I installed falken at3ws today. Initial impressions :
1.No noticable increase in road/tire noise, I'd say its a bit quite than my oem yokos
2.Steering feels a little light. Have to check the psi and adjust
3.car is pulling left at speeds >60mph, guess the alignment was not done right, will have to take it back in