Harman Kardon Drive and Play with factory AUX-In?

DashingMax

:
2006 MazdaSpeed6
We have a 2007 Grand Touring AWD with Navigation (Assistance package with power liftgate) and Bose (moonroof package, not RSES).

No Satellite radio.

Currently, I can use the Aux-In port in the center console to listen to my iPod via the "Media" button on my Navigation system. Problem is that, song selection must be directly done on the iPod itself. There is no "remote" way to navigate the iPod menus.
Current setup: iPod --> Aux-In --> Head-unit.

We also have a Harman Kardon Drive + Play which we'd like to use for directly connecting (not FM or wired FM) into the Aux-In port.

Desired setup: iPod --> HK Drive+Play --> Aux-In --> Head-Unit.

This seems possible, however, I'm not 100% sure. Has anyone done this setup? If yes, could you please offer any advise on how to get this accomplished?

Thank you!

Harman Kardon Wiring Diagram for Audio Out

Attached are a couple pictures of the HK wiring diagram.

It seems that the Audio Out from HK can be directly connected to Aux-In on the CX-9 center console with a simple stereo cable, right?

Attachments

• HKDP_Audio Out Jack.jpg
    HKDP_Audio Out Jack.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 519
  • HKDP_Audio Out.jpg
    HKDP_Audio Out.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 581
Yes, I have this exact setup!

If you go directly from the HK output to the Aux-In, you will get the ground loop hum. I got the Crutchfield ground loop isolator (1/8" jack to 1/8" plug) that connects from the HK output to the Aux-In. One problem. There seems to be an impedence mismatch, so you lose a lot of bass. I think the H/K output is a line level output and the GLI is meant for a headphone level output. So my solution was to use the H/K for controlling the iPod, but connect the GLI from the iPod to the Aux-In. (HK Drive+Play --> iPod --> GLI --> Aux-In --> Head-Unit)

Works great and sounds amazing!!!

Some time, I may get ambitious and try a line level GLI and all the required adapter cables to see if I could connect the H/K output to the Aux-In with the same audio quality. So far, I haven't bothered.

Good info! GLI it is...by the way, what is GLI? Where can I buy it?
I noticed that you're also in Chicago area. Which shop did this install/setup for your CX-9?

Thanks again!

Attachments

• HK_install_1_sm.JPG
    HK_install_1_sm.JPG
    49.9 KB · Views: 624
  • HK_install_2_sm.JPG
    HK_install_2_sm.JPG
    44.9 KB · Views: 589
  • HK_install_3_sm.JPG
    HK_install_3_sm.JPG
    44.5 KB · Views: 571
  • HK_install_4_sm.JPG
    HK_install_4_sm.JPG
    46.1 KB · Views: 627
  • Satellite_Radio_CX9.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 599
Thanks for the pics. Does the drive and play require its own power? If so, how did you power it?

Thanks for the pics. Does the drive and play require its own power? If so, how did you power it?

It requires both switched and unswitched power. The power socket in the dash is switched and the one in the console is unswitched.

DashingMax, l-miwa, and other HK Drive + Play users:

Can any of you tell me what the dimensions are of the D+P display unit? Both in terms of screen size and for the overall unit?

I don't have a CX-9, but you can see what I'm trying to accomplish in my post here.

Thanks!

Thanks, l-miwa -- looks like the display is a bit too large to fit where I had hoped I could put it. Too bad.

RE: ground loop.

If you power and ground the drive+play at the same location as the factory head unit: IE tap the factory head unit +12v, ACC and GND lines then the ground loop isolator should not be needed.

Anyway, that's my experience on other vehicles.

When mine get's here (on order) I'll probably go with this, or just bite the bullet and install my EMPEG with display extender. Not sure yet. The HK solution is easier. The EMPEG pwns IPOD.

Last edited:
Back