GT-R 2019 - Can't drive with only parking lights on?

rockethead26

2019 CX-5 Reserve
:
N. Arizona @ 7000'
I work at an astronomical observatory and for the first time last night parked my car near the observing area. I am in the habit of always driving away from the area with no lights on if I can see enough, but at the most my parking lights. So last night, I switch my headlights from auto to parking and start the car. Good, parking light are on. Then I start to drive off and BAM full headlights right into the observing area. NOT GOOD AT ALL.

So after I went down the hill, I tested this a few times and sure enough, as soon as you start moving, the headlights come on when set on parking lights on the stalk. This is just dumb. I haven't found a way to disable this yet. Any idea if this is even possible? If not, I will need to park farther away and walk up to the observatory or simply take the Prius when working at night.

Yup. The DRLs are the headlights but slightly dimmer. Also makes for a not so sleek looking appearance during the day. Would me much better looking if just the outside halo/parking lights were the DRLs.

Yup. The DRLs are the headlights but slightly dimmer. Also makes for a not so sleek looking appearance during the day. Would me much better looking if just the outside halo/parking lights were the DRLs.

ARE the DRLs actually slightly dimmer? Looks to me that they are exactly the same as dipped headlights.

Then I start to drive off and BAM full headlights right into the observing area. NOT GOOD AT ALL.

There is a complicated method to disable the DRLs if you wish (I have not tried this) go through this thread: https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/index.php?threads/how-to-turn-headlights-off.123862392/

If you search turning off DRL I think you will find there is a fuse you can pull. Since this comes up often for you, you might pull the fuse and replace it with a switch and fuse in series.

If you search turning off DRL I think you will find there is a fuse you can pull. Since this comes up often for you, you might pull the fuse and replace it with a switch and fuse in series.

I don't believe this is true for the 2nd gen cars. No separate circuit on the wiring diagrams for headlamp DRLs, nor a specific DRL fuse.

So much for the "stealth mode."
I remember in high school coming home very late (and maybe a little tipsy) turning off the engine and headlights then coasting into the driveway (manual trans and no steeringwheel lockout). Occasionally misjudging the speed and coming-up short, I had to get out and push the rest of the way.
So now kids will miss this last vestige of "stealth" in sneaking in without waking the parents.

Doing that as an actual employee of the observatory is a transgression that shall never be forgiven.

Well, it was the public program observing area, not at the research campus, so still embarrassing, but not unforgivable. Should have tested the new car, but it never even occurred to me that one couldn't drive with parking lights on.

the funky video game method works.
on my 2018 at least. no more drl from the headlights and no need to mess with fuses.

I'm going to give it a try this weekend. Glad to hear that it still works on a Gen II. Thanks!

Well, it was the public program observing area, not at the research campus, so still embarrassing, but not unforgivable. Should have tested the new car, but it never even occurred to me that one couldn't drive with parking lights on.
I only tease because I've always been into astronomy.

I'm in the sticks and have a southern-facing deck onto an open field. I've gotten up at 3AM to watch Orionid meteor showers or to view Mars. I had my Dusk-to-Dawn streetlight turned off so as to get more darkness...sacrificing the pleasure of watching bats eat bugs in the evening (my town has no movie theatre). One of these days I'm gonna get myself a nicer telescope.

Regarding these cars: my faux pas has been pulling into the parking lots of restaurants, turning off the engine, and having the LED high beams blind people who are just trying to have dinner as I frantically scramble to turn the switch from Auto.

I only tease because I've always been into astronomy.

I'm in the sticks and have a southern-facing deck onto an open field. I've gotten up at 3AM to watch Orionid meteor showers or to view Mars. I had my Dusk-to-Dawn streetlight turned off so as to get more darkness...sacrificing the pleasure of watching bats eat bugs in the evening (my town has no movie theatre). One of these days I'm gonna get myself a nicer telescope.

Regarding these cars: my faux pas has been pulling into the parking lots of restaurants, turning off the engine, and having the LED high beams blind people who are just trying to have dinner as I frantically scramble to turn the switch from Auto.

Glad to hear that you also enjoy the night sky and sorry to hear that you've boneheaded it a few times, too. I used to attend some of the big national star parties and you are trained to control your lights, including disconnecting any lights which may offend when you simply open your doors. Sometimes, the only solution was to put black duct tape over offending external and internal lights. Nothing worse than being on a big field with a couple of hundred serious amateurs at 1 am and having an errant light flash everyone in the field. Talk about losing friends fast! Now I do this stuff for a living and believe me, I have never been so startled and embarrassed in my life.

Well I just tried the 23 second method for turning off the running lights three different times and was unsuccessful. It really is an easy process once you practice once or twice. Still, no joy here. Lights go from parking to DRL as soon as I move forward. Don't know what I could be doing wrong as I easily finished the sequence in 20 seconds or so with no more than 1 second between steps. Parking brake on, car in ACC mode, foot on brake, etc. Oh well,

Any tips?

Well I just tried the 23 second method for turning off the running lights three different times and was unsuccessful. It really is an easy process once you practice once or twice. Still, no joy here. Lights go from parking to DRL as soon as I move forward. Don't know what I could be doing wrong as I easily finished the sequence in 20 seconds or so with no more than 1 second between steps. Parking brake on, car in ACC mode, foot on brake, etc. Oh well,

Any tips?

I know that it does work, though it can be tricky. I turned them off on my '19 GTR, and actually just the other day ended up turning them back on.

@NathanH - So what happens when the DRLs are off? Do the side/parking lights stay off too? What happens when the lights are switched to auto?

I want to know if I should get the aftermarket LED strips and then would try this too.

Back