Grinding gear on wing mirror (2015 CX-5)

Hello.
I'm the second owner of a 2015 CX-5, my dad being the original purchaser. He passed it on to me last year and it's been mostly smooth sailing until now.

The passenger-side (left, UK-spec) wing mirror no longer fully responds to driver-side control joystick. When the vehicle is in motion, there is a repetitive grinding noise from the gear / motor. When parked with ignition off, if the mirrors are 'out', the grinding continues…but if the mirrors are 'in', there is no grinding.

The workaround to so far has been to tuck the mirrors 'in' when parked, and manually push the mirror into the 'out' position when I go anywhere. I can't leave the mirrors 'out' when parked as I'm convinced it'll flatten the battery with the constant grinding. I can pull the fuse out, but I'd prefer to get my hands dirty and fix this properly. I am intending to pull the door liner off and have a look at the mirror innards when the weather is better, but I'm scoping out advice and feedback in the interim. The dealership have quoted an astronomical amount for a rip-and-replace, so if I can avoid that I'd be a happy dude.

Based on the above, what's your take? How broken is it?

Thanks for reading, and thank you for any guidance.

Sounds like the motor behind the mirror got burnt from maybe someone accidentally pushing the botton for too long?

You can get a whole new mirror wing assembly online and use the pre existing painted cover. Or just pull the fuse out and move it manually by hand to save yours the headache.

The door panel is definitely coming off for this job.

Sounds like the motor behind the mirror got burnt from maybe someone accidentally pushing the botton for too long?

Possibly. I know it started happening after the vehicle was parked for around a week at a family holiday, so either something inside has seized up or didn't like being sat for that long inactive, or someone has had a mishap and run off!

You can get a whole new mirror wing assembly online and use the pre existing painted cover. Or just pull the fuse out and move it manually by hand to save yours the headache.

The door panel is definitely coming off for this job.

I think this replacement might be the way forward, depending on the cost.
Thank you!

Hello, i have the same problem, driver door mirror keeps buzzing and don't fold anymore. I found on the internet a little peace like a gear and stick, it's cheap like 10$ maybe. I think that causes the problem. Do you think is it worth of trying?

When I wash my CX5, I taped up the gaps of the wing mirrors.
Not just water.
If dusts or debris go into that gap....
Maybe try to air dust/blast the gaps during your weekend maintenance ... note to myself.

To OP.
Not difficult to take down the door panel and replace the mirror by DIY.
Usually, one screw behind door handle or holder (underneath a plastic piece).
The rest is easy... just plastic clips. Pull it out from bottom side.
Disconnect wires.
3-4 screws holding the mirror in place.

Some of those screws are made of Aluminum. Don't over-tighten them.
(I did it on my ex-Prius. I snapped the head off. Maybe that is a Toyota thing.)

Hello, i have the same problem, driver door mirror keeps buzzing and don't fold anymore. I found on the internet a little peace like a gear and stick, it's cheap like 10$ maybe. I think that causes the problem. Do you think is it worth of trying?
There’re many TSBs associated to this auto-folding mirror problem. You can see the reason why there’re problems and instructions to fix the problem with revised parts. Here’s an early Mazda wordwide TSB for power folding mirrors:

2019 CX-5 Folding side mirror when locking; LS stopped fully folding. Tips?

A complete TSB for US CX-5 was posted on the following post #25 by Hawke from above link.

I have 2016 model, is it the same procedure?
2016 CX-5? You aren’t in North American market then. Yes I’d say the fix procedure is the same, mainly you need updated parts and seals.

Back