Gotta be VICS...

Protephile

Propulsionally Challenged
:
2022 CX-30
So last night, I'm driving home from work and merging onto a four-lane road. I rev it up to @ 5000+ shift, then shift again. As I shift into fourth
I hear clinkity-clink, not sure where it's coming from. I downshift as I head for a light and as soon as my car comes to an idle, the engine stalls. I'm thinking, WTF??
Start it up again and the clinkity-clink sound of something rattling around in the engine is clearer now that I'm at rest...whatever is jumping around is erratic, not steady and my idle is all over the place.
As soon as the light changes I find a place to pull over. I called Mazda Roadside Assistance and had them tow it to a dealer about five minutes away. The dealer better not give me any crap about my mods, this is clearly a warranty issue.
It's gotta be the VTCS, right? I'd love to know for sure but the stinkin' dealer service is closed on Saturdays.
Anyway, if that is what it is, I'm gonna ask the dealer to remove it completely, since I'm running the MP3 ECU...

Last edited:
Same thing happened to me but it kept fouling out my sparkplug in the #4 cylinder. It happened alot when I shifted at high rpms.So i was misfiring and could not go anywere without the whole car shaking back and forth. But I put my car back to stock and got the warrenty work done. Hope they dont give you any crap for aftermarket parts.Good Luck.

Bump for anyone who cares...the service manager confirmed it is the VTCS system.
I stopped by last night because I hadn't heard anything, even after calling, and the service tech last night said yeah, we pulled it in and there's damage to the #4 plug.

Yeah, big revelation.

This morning they called me and said the work will be done under warranty, so that is good news. They are replacing the intake mani with a newer version--the VTCS system is allegedly riveted on, not screwed, so we'll see...
I tried to talk the guy into an MP3 manifold but he wouldn't go for it and I didn't want to mention that I had the MP3 ECU in case that would change their minds about repairing it under warranty. Hopefully they won't find some bonehead reason to reflash mine.

the VTCS system is allegedly riveted on, not screwed, so we'll see...

thats BS i just removed it its just held in with screws i'd tell them to remove it or do it yourself the car is sooo much better without that crap in there now

Thapro1 said:
thats BS i just removed it its just held in with screws i'd tell them to remove it or do it yourself the car is sooo much better without that crap in there now

Haha, Dante, did you read the initial post? Why should I do all this myself
if it's damaged and under warranty?
As for the rivets, yes, it's an updated manifold. The original one was held in with screws.
Bah, I tried to talk the guy into giving me the old mani, too, so I could take the VTCS off myself and maybe have a port & polish done but he said it had to go back to Mazda. Damn...

its not VTCS, its VICS. Its the screws that are getting lose.

Dunno how good the manager and mechanic at your dealer are, but if you look through the forums, ALL people that had same problem had VICS **** up not VTCS. Good thing that you have it all taken care of.

Last edited:
DiS said:
its not VTCS, its VICS. Its the screws that are getting lose.

Dunno how good the manager and mechanic at your dealer are, but if you look through the forums, ALL people that had same problem had VICS **** up not VTCS. Good thing that you have it all taken care of.

Sorry, my bad...can you please change the thread title for me so I don't look like a complete moron?

Protephile said:
Sorry, my bad...can you please change the thread title for me so I don't look like a complete moron?

hehe no biggie bro. Thread title changed (wink)
GOod thing that you took the car to dealer already. How long do you have to wait till its gonna be fixed? Also did they give you loaner car? If so its better be free like mine was

DiS said:
hehe no biggie bro. Thread title changed (wink)
GOod thing that you took the car to dealer already. How long do you have to wait till its gonna be fixed? Also did they give you loaner car? If so its better be free like mine was

I dunno, I'm sure they will need to special-order the mani. I'm picking up a loaner in the morning. I was hoping for a Mazda, but it's gonna be from Enterprise *sigh* so I'm thinking worst case a Cobalt or Neon, best case Nissan? When I got side-impacted by a deer a few months ago they gave me a Sentra.

I'm so bummed. I just got my Kartboy SS, bushings and knob last Thursday and was really looking forward to installing it.

Last edited by a moderator:
dude MAKE SURE you are NOT paying for the loaner car! Since car is covered by the warranty YOU ARE ENTITLED to a free loaner. I've read that in one of the brochures while I was sitting at the dealer one day.

As far as the loaner car itself....when my car was in repairs, dealer supplied the loaner car themselves. I even got to pick what kind of car i wanted to rape, i mean loan, hehe. I took a 2004 Toyota Corolla XR-S 6-speed 1.8L with VVTL-i....red line starts at 9k rpm and at 7 VVTL-i kicks in...its like V-tech. It was pretty quick.....170hp
p.s. sorry I incidently typed my reply in editing box in your reply....hehe thats why your last post says "last edited....by DiS" my bad

Protephile said:
Haha, Dante, did you read the initial post? Why should I do all this myself
if it's damaged and under warranty?
As for the rivets, yes, it's an updated manifold. The original one was held in with screws.
Bah, I tried to talk the guy into giving me the old mani, too, so I could take the VTCS off myself and maybe have a port & polish done but he said it had to go back to Mazda. Damn...

oh lol sorry i was just being zealous for vtcs removal:D Carry on......

I got an '05 sludge-colored Focus as a loaner. (yippy)
Auto and standard fleet interior--not even power windows. Damn.
Oh well, I should have my baby back on Monday.

Protephile said:
I got an '05 sludge-colored Focus as a loaner. (yippy)
Auto and standard fleet interior--not even power windows. Damn.
Oh well, I should have my baby back on Monday.
as long as you're not paying for rental its all gewd

Hmmm, well, now my car won't be ready till next Tuesday. According to the service guy, who is kind of an idiot (thank god he's not actually working on my car), they found additional damage to (wtf) the 'emissions tube'. He said it was cracked. Anyone know what he might be referring to? I tried to get a better description but that was it. If I had more time I would have gotten the tech to show me.

emissions tube.......yea that guy is definetly is an idiot. He probably refers to EGR valve pipe as thats THE ONLY tube I can think of. Unless he's really retarded and referring to the catalytic converter.

yea the EGR valve is the only only thing i can think of.... you should slap him in the face and be like "you owe me a turbo just cause your an idiot" and then slap a owned sticker on his face!

justanotheradik said:
yea the EGR valve is the only only thing i can think of.... you should slap him in the face and be like "you owe me a turbo just cause your an idiot" and then slap a owned sticker on his face!

Yeah, guys, EGR was the only thing I could think of too, esp. since we have a history of problems with that, also.
Lol, and I like the way you think!

Protephile said:
Yeah, guys, EGR was the only thing I could think of too, esp. since we have a history of problems with that, also.
Lol, and I like the way you think!
sooooooooooooooooo, did you find out what the problem is for sure?

Back