gas tank size of 2018 CX5

xjju2004

:
CX5
According to google, my CX5 gas tank 14.8 to 15.3 gal.
When the car shows the message to re-fill, it still shows around 20 mile.
Then, everytime I go to gas station, I can only fill up to 13 gal.

That means always have 2 gals that can drive at least 40 miles..

It is very interesting....warming message shows SO SO early????

They always "build in" extra so as if you think you are almost out of fuel, you still have a few gals left.

All manufacturers do this

Because people would complain and sue if the car stopped running when it DTE=0.

Realistically, if you are not operating the vehicle at severe inclines/angles/crowned road shoulders, you can reach another 25 miles past the 0 without issue.

thank you so much to reply. My previous car, usually the difference between the actual gas size and the max. I can fill in gas station is only 1 gal only. Mazdas seems very conservative...

Because people would complain and sue if the car stopped running when it DTE=0.

Realistically, if you are not operating the vehicle at severe inclines/angles/crowned road shoulders, you can reach another 25 miles past the 0 without issue.

Make that 50 in a pinch!:)

Last edited:
thank you so much to reply. My previous car, usually the difference between the actual gas size and the max. I can fill in gas station is only 1 gal only. Mazdas seems very conservative...

No need to worry, all good :D

You're lucky you fill 13. I get a warning and mostly fill 11.5, 12 gallons is rare like once in 6 months. 320 miles of range is borderline pathetic.

https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-culture/a30762/how-far-drive-empty-gas/?src=socialflowFBRAT

This sample of the top50 cars in US (see the Mazda CX-5 and Mazda3 represented in the chart), show there is BIG variance when comparing fuel warning lights.
gallery-1473704534-isthetankreallyemptytho.jpg

Last edited:
They always "build in" extra so as if you think you are almost out of fuel, you still have a few gals left.

All manufacturers do this

Saved me a couple of times out travelling, expecting to see a gas station and not finding one till I get to the next town over and hovering over E (as they say).

Otherwise I usually always refill right at 1/4 tank left. Very rarely do I let the car get below that.

https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-culture/a30762/how-far-drive-empty-gas/?src=socialflowFBRAT

This sample of the top50 cars in US (see the Mazda CX-5 and Mazda3 represented in the chart), show there is BIG variance when comparing fuel warning lights.
gallery-1473704534-isthetankreallyemptytho.jpg

To be fair, on my CX-5, that light comes on on the dash well before it is actually on empty (between empty and 1/4 tank), so not sure this is the same as whatever reserve folks are talking about when it's actually on empty.

Also the chart illustrates the disparity between the different manufacturers. If you're driving a Hyundai or Kia and that gas light goes on you better pull over quickly 30 miles. However if you're driving a Nissan Versa Altima you've got a hundred miles easy LOL

Saved me a couple of times out travelling, expecting to see a gas station and not finding one till I get to the next town over and hovering over E (as they say).

Otherwise I usually always refill right at 1/4 tank left. Very rarely do I let the car get below that.
Indeed!

For me: 375-400 miles/avg tank in 2014 AWD CX-5, 475-500 in 2015 248hp RWD X1

Latest posts

Back