Gas Stations

Hello just a quick question, I want to know how these gas stations are and if should I just stick to the main ones. Pioneer, Fas Gas, Ultramar or Chevron vs Shell, petro, esso, husky.

AFAIK, all brands of gas are based on several kinds of base fuel and add additives on top of base fuel. If my memory serves me right, there are only few refineries in CA, for example. (i.e. base fuel).
If you don't mind long lines, Costco fuel has the highest C/P value.

I put in a bottle of STP Gas Treatment on every 1-2 fill ups.

Google “top tier gas“ and you’ll find your answer. Costco is top tier!
to be top tier, the standard is higher with added detergents. You’ll pay a little more, but your injectors should be in better shape over time.

As @ceric mentioned brands get their gas from a handful of refineries.
I have the 2.5NA Engine, Turbo might be different.
In the last 3000 kilometers, I haven't seen a difference in mpg/performance when I change brands. So far filled up from Shell, Esso, Costco, Petro-Canada, and Ultramar.
IMO one of the bigger factors regarding gas quality is how long it's been sitting in the tank for. The more it stays in a tank, the more it degrades. There are a bunch of "with service" Shell stations where I live that no one goes to (because more expensive for no reason), and I would prefer filling up from a busy, no-name station than from one of those stations.

In fact, I filled up from one of those no-name stations. Gas was cheaper than Costco, and there were quite a lot of cars filling up, so I went for it. Almost a tank later, no issues. But look at this gas station:

Screen Shot 2022-03-31 at 12.10.56 AM.png

One difference that comes to mind of a major branded station vs an independent type such as ^^^ Mr "Bully's" truck stop is quality control. Not that the fuel itself is lessor quality but rather that Mr Bully may not have a protocol in place for monitoring / maintenance of storage tanks and equipment, quality filters etc. The "little guy" may not have the resources to provide top quality delivery of the fuel to you. Not a blanket statement. I'm sure there are small mom & pop businesses that excel at what they do and are indeed top notch.

Even so, can/will the "little guy" take care of you, entertain a claim of their fuel causing a problem with your vehicle. I feel like a Costco or Shell etc would have a better chance of standing behind their product .

All gas is the same no matter where you get it. If a tanker delivers to one station and doesn't empty the truck he goes to another station no matter who if they pay for it. I've always used the cheapest I could find my whole life and had no trouble. By the way there's more energy in a gallon of regular than in hi test. I currently get an honest around town mpg of 30 because I keep my foot off the gas and go the limit plus or minus three miles an hour.

All gas is the same no matter where you get it. If a tanker delivers to one station and doesn't empty the truck he goes to another station no matter who if they pay for it. I've always used the cheapest I could find my whole life and had no trouble. By the way there's more energy in a gallon of regular than in hi test. I currently get an honest around town mpg of 30 because I keep my foot off the gas and go the limit plus or minus three miles an hour.
That isn’t true. Top tier gas is supposed to have added detergents. If top tier stations are using gas without those detergents and get caught, it will be very costly for them in terms of fines, lawsuits and their reputation.

Not sure about Mazda, but Honda in the owners manual for my pilot that I have recommends top tier gas. Using lower grade gas could mess up the injectors.

As for octane, I use 87 in my CX-5 and get 30 mpg in suburban driving.

here is an article that explains it.

All gas is the same no matter where you get it.
No, please don't disseminate misinformation.

Okay, I guess technically the "gas" is the same, but that's like saying that I have "the same" 23 Chromosomes as Arnold Schwarzenegger or Michael Phelps. By the time the gas reaches your car, the Shell., Chevron, Costco gas it is not the same.

Last edited:
One thing I'm seeing disappear are the E10 stickers. Makes me wonder if they're sneaking in E15 in the tanks. I see "ethanol added" and some pumps it doesn't even mention ethanol at all.

Nothing but Costco top tier for me. It’s the least expensive and highest quality in my area. It’s a no-brainer IMHO! I can’t wait to start feeding my turbo the good stuff (93) once I use up the dealership go juice that came with it.

Back