FS-DE to FS-ZE Engine swap questions

My engine on my 2003 protege 5 is shot. I'm looking at a FS-ZE to swap in but the problem is it does not come with a wiring harness. I've looked through this forum and cant find a definitive answer to if I can use my stock FS-DE harness on the FS-ZE. I've read that I can swap over the ECT and knock sensor from the FS-DE and it should run fine however I do not know if this is if I use the FS-DE harness or the FS-ZE harness. As many others have shared it is near impossible to find an FS-ZE harness so if there's a way to make the FS-DE harness work that would be ideal. ANY ANSWERS WILL HELP. THANK YALL IN ADVANCE.

Good question. I might do an FS-ZE if my engine blows, and if your seemingly diligent research hasn't brought up anything so far, it's probably a good question to have answered.

Also, would be interesting to see a comparison between the two. If they're similar and all you need to do is a small modification to the DE harness, that would be great.

I recently replaced my DE with a ZE. I reused the stock wiring harness. I did reuse my original knock sensor, cam sensor and crank sensor along with DE balancer. I also had to reuse my DE intake because the ZE was cracked. I believe there is issues when using the ZE intake as you must keep the VICS and VTCS solenoids at least plugged in so they do not throw codes. Using the DE manifold will allow use of all original parts. The ZE manifold will net more power but I am quite happy with what I have put together. Start up- cold or hot- is just as before with the DE. Mileage is the same. I do use 91 octane however due to the higher compression. And yes it does feel a bit peppier as it accelerates.

Back