Front Brake Pad Fitment Question (2021 CX-5 CE Turbo AWD)

Hi everyone - I'm trying to find replacement front brake pads for my 2021 CE TURBO AWD. I really want to go with the Raybestos Element 3 pads but cannot find anywhere that sells them for the 2021 Turbo. I did however find them listed for the 2019-2020 Turbo models (Part # 1258H). I'm pretty sure they will also fit the 2021 but wanted to see if anyone here knew if the pads were the same between the 2019-2020 and the 2021s? Thanks in advance for any help!

Maybe call the parts department at a Mazda dealer and ask them if they are the same.

I'm guessing the internet sites you are looking at are not updated in a timely manner.

Also, maybe check Mazda dealers who sell parts online and see if the OEM pads are the same for those years.

Also, maybe check Mazda dealers who sell parts online and see if the OEM pads are the same for those years.
Good idea! There are several brands of aftermarket front pads that are listed as fitting 2019 to current turbo CX5s so I think it's safe to assume they're the same. Not sure why I didn't think to do that. Thanks for the advice. I'll update when I get the pads on to confirm that they fit in case anyone else has this issue.

Good idea! There are several brands of aftermarket front pads that are listed as fitting 2019 to current turbo CX5s so I think it's safe to assume they're the same. Not sure why I didn't think to do that. Thanks for the advice. I'll update when I get the pads on to confirm that they fit in case anyone else has this issue.
I wouldn’t trust the compatibility list from aftermarket manufactures. Always check the compatibility from OEM websites or parts department suggested earlier.

Thanks for pointing that out. I actually did check the OEM part number and it's the same for all 19-21 turbo models. Didn't see any listings for 22 or 23 models so can't confirm fitment for newer models. Appreciate the advice. At this point I think it's safe to assume that the pads are the same for the 2019 through at least the 2021 models. If I make an ass out of myself I'll be sure to update.

Thanks for pointing that out. I actually did check the OEM part number and it's the same for all 19-21 turbo models. Didn't see any listings for 22 or 23 models so can't confirm fitment for newer models. Appreciate the advice. At this point I think it's safe to assume that the pads are the same for the 2019 through at least the 2021 models. If I make an ass out of myself I'll be sure to update.
It’s easy to verify. Just call a Mazda dealer and ask the parts gay about the front disk pad part number for 2021 CE Turbo AWD or newer 2022、2023 MY with the VIN number.

Last edited:
For 2021+ CX 5 models at least, you will need special software to back off the caliper motor. If you are planning to use the older method as shown on many utube videos to back off the piston, be careful! As one person on utube video tried with ODB reader to back off the calipers, but this old method did not work, anymore than those older videos instructions on 2019 models.
Make sure you have latest 2022 updates on obd reader AND it can back off the piston, or you will break the motor spindle.
It appears Mazda changed the software and process for 2022 cx5 by the look of it, is my guess, as I have not done this job yet, but searched everywhere for instructions on 2021 cx5 Signature model. Mine is a 2021.5 mid year model upgrade Signature in Canada.

Let me know how you successfully backed off your caliper motor.

For 2021+ CX 5 models at least, you will need special software to back off the caliper motor. If you are planning to use the older method as shown on many utube videos to back off the piston, be careful! As one person on utube video tried with ODB reader to back off the calipers, but this old method did not work, anymore than those older videos instructions on 2019 models.
Make sure you have latest 2022 updates on obd reader AND it can back off the piston, or you will break the motor spindle.
It appears Mazda changed the software and process for 2022 cx5 by the look of it, is my guess, as I have not done this job yet, but searched everywhere for instructions on 2021 cx5 Signature model. Mine is a 2021.5 mid year model upgrade Signature in Canada.

Thanks for the info. This is the first I've heard of needing software to enter maintenance mode for the EPB. Has anyone else that has changed rear brakes on a 21 or newer comment on what was involved?

This’s a news to me too. The EPB Maintenance Mode doesn’t need to use any “OBD reader to back off the calipers (pistons)”. If fact, Maintenance Mode is to back off EPB motor so that you can manually push the piston back into the caliper SAFELY not to damage anything internals. Someone with 2021+ CX 5 models can try this old method posted by tomcat1446 for EPB Maintenance Mode and see if this still works.

Guide Maintenance Mode for 2016 / 2017 CX-5 electronic brakes

This’s a news to me too. The EPB Maintenance Mode doesn’t need to use any “OBD reader to back off the calipers (pistons)”. If fact, Maintenance Mode is to back off EPB motor so that you can manually push the piston back into the caliper SAFELY not to damage anything internals. Someone with 2021+ CX 5 models can try this old method posted by tomcat1446 for EPB Maintenance Mode and see if this still works.

Guide Maintenance Mode for 2016 / 2017 CX-5 electronic brakes
I'll give it a shot on mine later today or over the weekend and report back.

I'll give it a shot on mine later today or over the weekend and report back.
Maintenance Mode works just fine on my 2021. Thanks for the fake news Gus...

Not sure where you got this information but it's flat out not true. The maintenance mode instructions from previous years absolutely applies to the 2021 and presumably newer years as well. It has nothing to do with OBD2 and is activated by holding the accelerator down while pushing down the parking brake button and pressing the start button three times. I tried it myself this weekend and it went into maintenance mode without any issues.

Maintenance Mode works just fine on my 2021. Thanks for the fake news Gus...

Not sure where you got this information but it's flat out not true. The maintenance mode instructions from previous years absolutely applies to the 2021 and presumably newer years as well. It has nothing to do with OBD2 and is activated by holding the accelerator down while pushing down the parking brake button and pressing the start button three times. I tried it myself this weekend and it went into maintenance mode without any issues.
Thanks for the verification that the old method posted by tomcat1446 to put the EPB into Maintenance Mode still works for newer CX-5’s.

The dealer can use a Mazda scan tool computer to have the car enter EPB Maintenance Mode too. I believe Gus75 might be saying the third-party OBDII scanner software people use needs the latest version in order to use it putting the EPB into Maintenance Mode on newer CX-5’s. But I highly suspect it’d break the motor spindle with an out of date scanner software. Definitely the caliper piston will need a manual push-in, can’t be backed off by an OBDII scanner tool.

Last edited:
Back