Fog Light/Sequential Turn Signal installation

i have all my parts, the lights and the bezels...

just looking for a wiring diagram as to what to tap into. Anyone?

(Installed in a 2019 Mazda CX-5 Grand Touring) I love how these lights look. They're beautiful as running lights (I connected them to my headlights) and they add a lot more visibility to the turn signals. The self-installation instructions are nowhere to be found online, so I spent 7 hours actually installing these in my car. This video helps a little bit.

Here is the entire process for those who are looking for it. Please read the entire thing before buying or installing. Given the chance, I would have told my past self to just pay for a professional install.

Tools needed:
- flathead screwdrivers for prying up the plastic tabs that hold the bumper in place
- phillips screwdrivers (short and long) for various bumper and fog light assembly screws (magnetized ones are nice so that you don't drop screws)
- socket wrenches for the bumper detachment process (I used a universal ratcheting one)
- Circuit tester (to make sure you're tapping the right power wire)
- Fuses and an add-a-fuse kit (I used 15 amp ones to tap the headlight fuse)
- Scissors and a exacto-knife or the like
- t-tap splice or the like
- soft towel or mat (to save your knees while you unscrew stuff)

1) Pop the hood. Use an "add a fuse" kit to either plug into a free fuse slot in the engine fuse box or tap into the existing headlights/fog light fuses. I used 15 amp fuses, the same as the headlight low beams. Check the inside of the fuse box cover for a fuse remover and a diagram of all the fuses. Red wire goes into the fuse kit, black wire is the grounding wire (there's a large grounding bolt right above the fuse box, either screw the black wire end under the washer or add a wire connected around the screw).

2) With the car running and the light strips plugged into the control box, gently tap or hold the red wire to the fuse kit red crimp end to see if each of the light strips light up at the same time as the light you want to tap. For instance, if you wanted your running lights to only light when your fog lights are on, tap the fog light fuse, hold the power wire and the box wire together, and check if this is the case.

3) Turn the car off. Unplug the connections to the turn signal lights on the left and right sides (you can find diagrams in the Mazda manual for "front directional lights"). Similar to the running lights case, turn your emergency flashers on and tap the yellow wires into the center of the turn signal plug (should be the same connection as the red and white wire that provides turn signal power). Check that the sequential turn mode works on the light strips.

4) Now that you've checked that the light will actually work, the hard work starts. I found it way easier to unscrew and pull the front bumper forward so that I had way more room to work than just going through the left and right wheel wells. There are youtube videos to guide you on how to remove the front bumper. It involves a lot of elbow grease and dozens of screws and tabs.

5) I started with the driver's side of the vehicle since it was the closest to the fuse box. With the bumper removed, now you can see the fog light assembly. Unscrew the three screws that hold the fog light assembly to the plastic casing between it and the bumper itself. The assembly can sit back (still connected) while you work.

6) Unscrew the 2-3 screws that hold the casing to the bumper.

7) The plastic molding that you will replace with your KE-KE light strip has four sets of clips that hold it to the bumper and to the plastic casing. Push in the tabs in the middle of the upper and lower clip while pulling on the molding to detach each set of clips.

8) The plastic casing does not have a hole large enough to pass the power plug and casing for the light strip through, so I used a drill and small knife to cut out a rectangle of the plastic

9) Clip the light strip on where the previous molding was. Pass the power cord through the plastic casing. Find a way to route the cord up and out of the casing.

10) Once all of the clips are secure, screw back the plastic casing. Screw the fog light assembly back on top of the casing. Check that the light still turns on with the light you wired it to.

11) Find the blinker plug that you tested back in step 3. You might have to cut or peel back the rubber casing around the two wires that go into it (mine were 1 wire that was red/white and 1 wire that was blue. I used a tap splice connector to tap into the red/white turn signal power wire. You could probably also use a t-tap splicer. Use them to connect the corresponding yellow wire to that side's turn signal power wire.

12) Test out the sequential blinkers by turning on the emergency lights. Your car does not have to be on for this step.

13) Repeat for the other side of the car, making sure to carefully run the power plug and yellow wire to the other light strip and turn signal plug.

14) Make sure everything is secured with twist ties or tape. Re-screw everything back once you've fully tested the running lights and the sequential turn lights with your car on.

15) Make sure you reattach the bumper with the exact screws and order that you detached it with.

16) Enjoy your new lights!

I probably missed some stuff in the install process but I hope this helps you guys. Love my CX-5!

Attachments

• 90356682_154678562353111_1960440021282455552_n.jpg
    90356682_154678562353111_1960440021282455552_n.jpg
    201.8 KB · Views: 358
I just finished (almost) mine, kinda wish I had the solid LED strip version but I still like it. Some advice, wear a long sleeve shirt, the bumper edges are sharp, I got cuts all over trying to reach the screws and tabs. I did not fully remove the bumper, only enough to reach the screws. With the help of the videos on youtube it took 2 hours, but I have yet to connect the signal lights. Trying to figure out a way to connect that's easily reversible.
IMG_20200730_180831.jpg

Update, I picked up a set of LED signal bulbs and pre-wired resistors. This way I can tap off the resistor and not the factory wiring.

Attachments

• IMG_20200807_121416.jpg
    IMG_20200807_121416.jpg
    566.9 KB · Views: 256
Just want to say thank you to kpfire, your process helped out a lot. The turn out was great, currently using the empty meter2 fuse to power the drl function but was wondering if anyone knew the exact wire to tap into for the drls for the headlights. I would prefer the drls to light up with the headlight drl housing as opposed to independently when the ignition is on.

Attachments

• 5645D7F5-02C8-4E34-9395-F4BAC8555ECF.gif
    5645D7F5-02C8-4E34-9395-F4BAC8555ECF.gif
    5.3 MB · Views: 289
  • E2ACA803-8B03-48F2-BE79-BF7F4A908798.jpeg
    E2ACA803-8B03-48F2-BE79-BF7F4A908798.jpeg
    250.6 KB · Views: 282
Back