2017~2024 First oil change this Saturday

clownshoes2

2017 CX-5 GT No Tech - 2023 CX-30 GT NA
:
CX-5
So, My 2017 CX-5 is scheduled in for it's first oil change this weekend.

Is there anything I should ask to be done that's free? Like updates to computer systems or the infotainment system? Anything to look out for (other than the friggin 90 dollar price tag?)

Cheers,

Do it yourself. You know what gets in and out.

I've read endless horror stories with dealer oil changes.

So, My 2017 CX-5 is scheduled in for it's first oil change this weekend.

Is there anything I should ask to be done that's free? Like updates to computer systems or the infotainment system? Anything to look out for (other than the friggin 90 dollar price tag?)

Cheers,

You should ask the advisor if they perform updates. Chances are they don’t for a oil change service but will do it for regular services. It doesn’t hurt to ask.

I agree with the change it yourself strategy. You know exactly what is in the engine and that the job is done right. Oil changes are very easy on this vehicle.

I'm nearly at the 7500 mi mark on my 2017 CX-5. On my last vehicle, I did all oil changes myself.

I'm worried about the dealer not granting any possible warranty work if they have no record of me bringing the car in for service. Is a record of receipts for oil and filters enough to cover my butt?

Do it yourself, save the money and your receipts. Your warranty can NOT be deigned by doing it yourself and proving that you did it.

Changing the oil is so easy on the CX!

I've always wondered, to those that do their own oil changes, how does the dealer confirm that you did the scheduled oil changes? Is showing them the receipts good enough?

I would ask if you have the latest recommended computer updates. They should check this for you. I think only a few dealers are bad and give the rest a bad name. Enjoy your ride, read the owners manual. Ed

I'd do the oil changes at the dealer, or another shop that reports to Carfax, at least while the power-train warranty is in effect. Some manufacturers look really hard to find any excuse to deny a warranty claim, esp if it's an expensive one.

Also tell them that your Mazda Connect system randomly reboots sometimes. They will install the latest update

I've always wondered, to those that do their own oil changes, how does the dealer confirm that you did the scheduled oil changes? Is showing them the receipts good enough?

What makes you believe that you need the dealer to confirm your oil changes? Legally the only reason that you would have to prove that you changed your oil is if you had an oil related failure during the warranty period.

Don't believe me?

Read this.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnuson–Moss_Warranty_Act

I'd do the oil changes at the dealer, or another shop that reports to Carfax, at least while the power-train warranty is in effect. Some manufacturers look really hard to find any excuse to deny a warranty claim, esp if it's an expensive one.

Also tell them that your Mazda Connect system randomly reboots sometimes. They will install the latest update

Carfax? I'll admit that I've never read a Carfax report but my understanding is that Carfax has nothing to do with reporting regular maintenance, done or not done.

It does randomly reboot. I didn't know that was not normal. How long do updates usually take?

Check the dealer website for any coupons. I usually pay about $50 for an oil change and tire rotation.
My dealer usually has service coupons on their website.

You should get a tire rotation too.

I have at least kept a record of services performed, parts used, and mileage for my oil changes. I've done 2 of them myself now.

I forgot to save any receipts from my last change though. But out of all the warranties probably doesn't matter, so oh well.

What makes you believe that you need the dealer to confirm your oil changes? Legally the only reason that you would have to prove that you changed your oil is if you had an oil related failure during the warranty period.

Don't believe me?

Read this.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnuson–Moss_Warranty_Act
I'm aware of the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act, but only in relation to aftermarket mods. I don't know how it applies to scheduled maintenance or the neglect of scheduled maintenance for a car.

If a dealer does not have to prove that oil changes were done, that means I can pretty much drive my car to 35,000 miles without doing any oil changes, notice there is an engine issue, change oil and take it to the dealer for warranty work. Right?

I'm aware of the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act, but only in relation to aftermarket mods. I don't know how it applies to scheduled maintenance or the neglect of scheduled maintenance for a car.

If a dealer does not have to prove that oil changes were done, that means I can pretty much drive my car to 35,000 miles without doing any oil changes, notice there is an engine issue, change oil and take it to the dealer for warranty work. Right?

No. You have to keep a record and receipts to demonstrate you have done your oil changes at the recommended intervals.

No. You have to keep a record and receipts to demonstrate you have done your oil changes at the recommended intervals.

I guess the records I can make up. I can write those one day before taking the car to the dealership. But the receipts would have to be legit, as they have the date on them. Still that could have been oil I bought for some other car, but I see your point.

In addition; if the factory decides that the dealer tear down the engine and find excessive sludge or wear which demonstrates very poor maintenance, then too bad in getting the factory to fix it free of charge. Terrible run-on sentence but, too tired to change it. Ed

I do my own service during the warranty period and keep ALL receipts showing purchased oil, filters etc. ed

In short, if you do your own oil change, you need to keep records (receipts, dates, mileage, etc.)

A while back, Toyota had engine oil sludge issue.
Toyota did ask for proof before they did the replacement within warranty.

For me, I find coupons and have it done at dealer I trust.

Back