First Alignment Toe Issues (2022 CX-9)

:
22 CX-9 GT
:
21 6 Carbon
I brought my 22 CX-9 in for it's first oil change and tire rotate/balance, 5k miles. I had the dealer check the alignment. The front and rear toe setting was off from the factory. Front camber is a little off but I'd rather it be off to the negative side. My dealer is very good at getting toe perfect. They've got it prefect on my old CX-9 as well as my Mazda6.

1675255659619.png

What alignment adjustments do we have on our CX-9s? Other cars I've had with similar suspensions have only toe-in adjustments. The camber & caster measurements are there mainly to show the effects of damaged or worn parts.

I’m pretty sure you can adjust camber and toe in the front and rear of this vehicle. I know there are camber bolts in the front struts. Caster is not adjustable.

2022 Touring with 8000. Wow. I am jelouse of that alingment. Did it address your highway wander issue? I know its only been a day. Mine had same problem from day one, so I BLINDLY added a little toe to the left front. Added one flat at a time for a total of 4 flats then I threw in the towel. My local shop set the front to +.04 total and never even put a wrench on the rears. Still has wander with the +.04.. .... Lazy. Just cuz its in the green doesn't mean its ok. Any chance your dealer is in Minnapolis? :). Man I love Forums for this very reason!

Attachments

• 20230124_121137.jpg
    20230124_121137.jpg
    106.6 KB · Views: 121
Last edited:
@ctbale
I would not accept the alignment you posted. My dealer will do free alignments for the 3y/36k warranty and a lifetime alignment for $200 after that. I get it checked every 5k.

I’m not a suspension expert but I believe 0 toe and no camber is best for tires, going straight. Toe in creates straight line stability at speed but eats tires. Toe out improves initial turn in but also scuffs tires and gives a wondering feel at speed. Negative camber helps create a wider tire contact patch while turning. Your rear thrust angle is likely causing your wandering. Maybe a few more degrees in on the front would help but it is very difficult to achieve.

My dealer is Wyatt Johnson Mazda, in Clarksville, TN.

I wonder why these alignments are so far off from the factory.

@ctbale
I would not accept the alignment you posted. My dealer will do free alignments for the 3y/36k warranty and a lifetime alignment for $200 after that. I get it checked every 5k.

I’m not a suspension expert but I believe 0 toe and no camber is best for tires, going straight. Toe in creates straight line stability at speed but eats tires. Toe out improves initial turn in but also scuffs tires and gives a wondering feel at speed. Negative camber helps create a wider tire contact patch while turning. Your rear thrust angle is likely causing your wandering. Maybe a few more degrees in on the front would help but it is very difficult to achieve.

My dealer is Wyatt Johnson Mazda, in Clarksville, TN.

I wonder why these alignments are so far off from the factory.
Thanks for your reply. I made an appt for tomorrow to get it redone. Not happy about this LAZY alingment. The tech never even put a wrench on the rears. Pretty sure I paid for a 4 wheel alingment. Unbelievable. Yea, the fronts are basically set perfectly straight. If I wanted a car to wander THATS HOW I WOULD SET THE FRONTS!! I have been a mechanic my whole life and I have zero tolerance for substandard work. I also have suspicion that this wander might be from the 18" Yohahamas. Geolander 056 I think. I know they are dangerous on the snow so I dont mind getting rid if them but want to get the Alignment perfect before I move to that. Thanks for your input very much!

I've never seen a car spec'ed for zero toe-in. My understanding is that spec toe-in is needed for straight line stability. I had a FWD Volvo that had considerable under steer. Adding camber adjusters and giving it 2° negative camber decreased front tire wear...or at least evened out the tread wear and increased tire tread life. Our CX-9s don't understeer like that Volvo, but I'd be OK with less than a degree of negative camber.

I'd tell the so-called technician that I want all the adjustable settings (some aren't adjustable) set at the center of the spec, not just in-spec. That's what I'm paying for.

At the shop right now. Printed out the OPs picture of his alignment. Told them I didnt want my alignment just anywhere in the green. Told them to see how close the can get to it. Kinda ruffled their feathers. Its just 4 toe adjustments, not that difficult. We will see

Drives nice now!!

Attachments

• 16757128368888037345860786964205.jpg
    16757128368888037345860786964205.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 127
I can understand why factory alingments are not perfect. They bolt the car together, then do the alignment then it gets shipped, loaded, unloaded, time goes by, car has to settle a little. No way its gunna stay perfect. I have had 3 new cars in the last 10 years, all needed the wheel alignment fine tuned after driving for a few thousand miles. One was a Ford Fusion. Brought it in to the dealer, happy to check it but wouldnt fine tune cuz it was in the green. They said ford wouldn't reimburse them. I was pissed. I would have paid them but car was off the rack by then. Just another reason to dislike dealer. So now I just go to an independent shop and pay the $100 to put all 4 wheels in the center.

For those of you with newish vehicles, Mazda has a 1 year/12k mi adjustment warranty that covers things like alignments

You are correct but if its in the huge window that is considered "in the green" the dealership cant get reimbursed by mazda because its technically okay. These cars drive much much nicer when the alingment is spot on, not just in the green. For me its a waste of my time to bring it to a Stealership and try to convince them of that. I just pay the $100 and get it done right the first time.

Back