FINALLY got the Stormtrooper setup about right for my 2017 CX-5 GT (Canada)

:
'12 Mazda5 GT
:
‘17 CX-5 GT
2017 CX-5 GT (Canada) Finally, after having this vehicle for about 18 months, I’ve got it just about where I want it to be. This is what it should have been in the first place, but in reality I’m glad they didn’t come from the factory like this, because then mine would be exactly the same as everyone else’s. Took a while to track down the right person to do the wrap work, the right set of rims at the right price, the right person to powder coat the rims, the right set of lug nuts, the best tires, etc. etc. And, yes, I know I need to do something about the license plate cover.

BODY:
  • Gloss black wrap side mirrors
  • Gloss black wrap front grille chin
  • Matte black wrap lower side window “hockey stick” trim
  • Semi-Gloss black OEM roof side rails (Spray paint)
  • Semi-Gloss black Thule roof rack cross bars (Spray paint) Not shown
  • Blacked out tailgate badges (PlastiDip)
  • Front windows 35% tint
WHEELS:
  • WINTER: Gloss black Mazda M011 17” rims & Michelin X-Ice SUV tires (Not shown)
  • SUMMER: Gloss black (Powder coated) 2019 Mazda Sig. Ed. rims & Pirelli Scorpion AS Plus 3 tires
  • Black chrome McGard lug nuts (#64031) and lock nuts (#24026)
  • Blacked out Mazda logo on wheel centre caps (PlastiDip)

Attachments

• IMG_9889.jpeg
    IMG_9889.jpeg
    145.8 KB · Views: 382
  • IMG_9887.jpeg
    IMG_9887.jpeg
    115.4 KB · Views: 366
  • IMG_9886.jpeg
    IMG_9886.jpeg
    90 KB · Views: 382
  • IMG_9885.jpeg
    IMG_9885.jpeg
    98.3 KB · Views: 362
  • IMG_9884.jpeg
    IMG_9884.jpeg
    125.7 KB · Views: 429
  • IMG_9883.jpeg
    IMG_9883.jpeg
    136.6 KB · Views: 369
  • IMG_9882.jpeg
    IMG_9882.jpeg
    100 KB · Views: 422
  • IMG_9880.jpeg
    IMG_9880.jpeg
    170.1 KB · Views: 384
  • IMG_9879.jpeg
    IMG_9879.jpeg
    127 KB · Views: 380
And if anyone is "on the fence" about doing the chrome hockey stick trim under the windows. Here's a side by side comparison...it's pretty obvious (to me at least) which one looks WAY better!

Attachments

• IMG_8171.jpeg
    IMG_8171.jpeg
    169.4 KB · Views: 369
  • IMG_8172.jpeg
    IMG_8172.jpeg
    102.9 KB · Views: 387
Nice! Black door handle would complete it for me. And above and beyond would be blacking out the license plate rear on the hatch.
I'm going back on forth on doing the door handles. I'm old enough to remember when the crappiest BASE model trim levels had matte black plastic door handles, along with black bumpers and mirrors, so I have a strong negative association! But having said that, the mirrors look SO GOOD in gloss, I might do the door handles as well.

Actually, my kid just told me he's ordered a big roll of gloss black wrap to do the roof of his 2015 Subaru BRZ Aozora Edition....so maybe I'll just steal a few of his off-cuts and give it a go. (y)

I just noticed you are rockin' the same Pirelli's as myself. How do you like them?
I’ve only had them on for TWO days, LOL, but so far I love them. On day ONE we had a late winter storm here, with lots of rain and mixed wet snow. Tires behaved very well on my 55km drive home, more than I was expecting as I basically bought them for summer use only. But they seem comfortable, not too squishy, nicely responsive, and nice and quiet. It’s always a bit of a gamble buying new tires, but I think we’ve picked a winning set here. 👍🏼

Or as I like to say "Your '22 Turbo looks like my 2017 CX-5"....LOL.

Just kidding of course, but yeah that looks pretty sweet, and except for the chrome hockey stick window trim, it's almost perfect. Not really sure why they insist on keeping that splash of chrome, when everything else is blacked out, but likely to do with cost and or "market research" suggesting people generally prefer it.

Cool! I hope you don’t have issues with alignment that make it hard to aim your CX-5 where you want it to go. 😁😁😁

I’ve only had them on for TWO days, LOL, but so far I love them. On day ONE we had a late winter storm here, with lots of rain and mixed wet snow. Tires behaved very well on my 55km drive home, more than I was expecting as I basically bought them for summer use only. But they seem comfortable, not too squishy, nicely responsive, and nice and quiet. It’s always a bit of a gamble buying new tires, but I think we’ve picked a winning set here. 👍🏼
That's interesting. I thought those would be a great tire for the CX-5, but I just returned my set of AS Plus 3's within the 30-day window. Just could not dial out the highway vibration, after several attempts with a Hunter Elite system. Maybe I just had a bad tire, but if so, they couldn't figure out what was wrong with it. Replaced them with the Michelin CrossClimate and noticed an immediate difference in ride quality on the way home.

As for chrome, I guess I'm the target market. I respect your execution, but covering up all the shiny bits is definitely not my thing! :D

And if anyone is "on the fence" about doing the chrome hockey stick trim under the windows. Here's a side by side comparison...it's pretty obvious (to me at least) which one looks WAY better!
I love the chrome hockey stick blacked out. not sureif I want to use dark tint or black vinyl. I plan on doing it in the near future.

Back