Federal vs ulev emissions?

So I'm eyeballing the 2nd Gen CX-9. Getting a little hung up on 250hp but torque is great. I live in PA and am concerned about buying a CX-9 in PA with California emissions. Does anyone have any concrete information on any horsepower affects due to California emissions? I.E. Should I buy a federal emissions vehicle from out of state, or do California emissions standards have a negligible affect on horsepower? I'm pretty auto saavy but can't find any info on horsepower losses from California emissions. Both our cars are federal emissions and now that we live in PA, not sure I want to buy a PA vehicle.

Photo of my CX9 label
IMG_6622.JPG

I was under the impression that all the states are using California emission standards but I may be wrong. As far as the power goes the HP is 227 on 87 and 250 on 93. Although here in California with our crappy gas that's like water premium is only 91. I should know something about a tune for the 2.5T in 2 or 3 months.

No, only a handful of states adopted California emissions and as you can see, the photo of my emissions label indicates my CX-9 is not California compliant. Just not sure how or if that affects power to the wheels.

I have a 2019 and I looked at the sticker, and mine is California compliant. It has ever only been in Wisconsin. This leads me to assume that the 2nd gens are all the same.

I don't think there is any. If there is, maybe it's so small that it goes unnoticed, which could be why nobody has raised the issue yet.

I could see this being a point of concern for me on a more powerful, sport-oriented car, but on the CX-9 it's a moot point (IMO). Nissan GTRs and Jeep GC SRTs don't have California specific hp/tq ratings, do they?

Good question and answers...It does appear difficult to find concrete info on this...Perhaps the best way would be to contact Mazda USA and various Dealers directly to see if you can get actual figures on CA vs Federal (and let us know!).

It's possible that with modern engine management systems, the difference can be made negligible.

Back