Fading Leather Seats 2019 CX-9 Signature

Hello everyone

I currently have a 2019 Signature with the auburn colored leather seats and I noticed that the driver seat thigh bolster started to fade. It’s right beside the piping of the seat. I understand that it’s being rubbed on when getting in and out of the car but I didn’t expect that to happen. It has 25k miles. It’s an outside car but always has the sun shade on and is also tinted. I’m in California so the weather is always below 70 deg f. It’s my wife’s car primarily and majority of the time she’s wearing scrubs because she’s a nurse so I can’t imagine the scrubs doing that. Maybe jeans would, but cotton scrubs? Idk. I just can’t believe that it hasn’t held up, specially with only 25k miles. The seats barely have any creases.

Just wondering if anyone had the same issue? And do you think this is covered under the 3/36 bumper to bumper warranty?

Thanks

1DFE3BC8-EF1F-44EB-9F47-27049633A82D.jpeg
A58D6934-91DE-4AF1-ABA6-C07796139B8C.jpeg
A1F2A7B3-933D-4E3D-B86E-E1F85C362289.jpeg

Attachments

• 1E114FFA-4B1B-4CAA-9B85-E00E11E33DD6.jpeg
    1E114FFA-4B1B-4CAA-9B85-E00E11E33DD6.jpeg
    89.3 KB · Views: 164
Last edited:
Wear and tear is very subjective so I doubt there's anything warranty will do about it. Doesn't hurt to try but don't hold your breath.

Wear and tear is very subjective so I doubt there's anything warranty will do about it. Doesn't hurt to try but don't hold your breath.
Yeah that’s why I was wondering because I know it’s very subjective. It’s just weird that that would happen so early in the cars life.

Doesn't look too bad tbh. However I just checked my 2016 80k and I would say mine doesn't look close to yours. I'm 6' so getting in and out is easy for me and likely easy on my seat too.

Doesn't look too bad tbh. However I just checked my 2016 80k and I would say mine doesn't look close to yours. I'm 6' so getting in and out is easy for me and likely easy on my seat too.
See that’s kind of weird. I’ll probably swing by the dealership and see what they say. I understand it’s wear and tear but it seems a little to early for something like that to be happening. My wife is 5’1” and not heavy at all so I can’t imagine what stress the seat would be in when she gets in and out.

should be covered under warranty

as with any leather, you need to take care of it... annual shampoo and conditioning is a must.... or double that if needed

I could totally see that happening depending on the way she gets in and out of the seat. I know plenty of people just swing their legs over and slide out over the side bolster, straight to the ground. That puts a lot of wear on that part. Watch how she gets out of the car, and if she does happen to just slide out, maybe you can suggest that she use the door sill to step in and out of the car.

All that aside, I think you can get that covered under warranty. But if they don't cover it, you could contact a leather repairer on your own, I'm sure they could touch up that section no problem.

should be covered under warranty

as with any leather, you need to take care of it... annual shampoo and conditioning is a must.... or double that if needed
Yeah I hope it’s covered. I’ll just have to go see what the dealer says. 🤞🏼

And I try my best to take care of this car. I always clean the carpet and interior and wash the car every month then wipe it down with some griots ceramic spray.

I could totally see that happening depending on the way she gets in and out of the seat. I know plenty of people just swing their legs over and slide out over the side bolster, straight to the ground. That puts a lot of wear on that part. Watch how she gets out of the car, and if she does happen to just slide out, maybe you can suggest that she use the door sill to step in and out of the car.

All that aside, I think you can get that covered under warranty. But if they don't cover it, you could contact a leather repairer on your own, I'm sure they could touch up that section no problem.
It’s too bad the seat slides don’t move backwards when the engine is shut off. My dads 2019 Fusion even does that. I’ll see how she gets out the car and see if I can make an appointment to the dealership.

The infamous side view mirror folding motor is also starting to slow down and sometimes it gets stuck. Ohh Mazda, I love it and hate it atthe same time. I only have 25k miles. 😩

It’s too bad the seat slides don’t move backwards when the engine is shut off. My dads 2019 Fusion even does that. I’ll see how she gets out the car and see if I can make an appointment to the dealership.

The infamous side view mirror folding motor is also starting to slow down and sometimes it gets stuck. Ohh Mazda, I love it and hate it atthe same time. I only have 25k miles. 😩

Yes, ingress/egress assist would be a nice touch. I think my dad's 2018 Equinox and my brother-in-law's Pathfinder both have some form of that. But you'll never catch me driving one of those unless I absolutely have to lol.

The side view mirror has a TSB, if it fails under warranty you should be able to use the TSB to get the revised mirrors. Hopefully those ones are better than the originals. I don't remember the TSB number off the top of my head, but it should be linked in one of the folding mirror threads.

Yeah I hope it’s covered. I’ll just have to go see what the dealer says. 🤞🏼

And I try my best to take care of this car. I always clean the carpet and interior and wash the car every month then wipe it down with some griots ceramic spray.

wiping down doesn't do enough for the leather... leather is cow skin, and since it's dead, there's nothing to moisturize it... that's why you need to shampoo and condition them... do that, and the leather stays in great shape.... on my old mazda3, I did that and the leather looked great the day I sold it 5 years later.... most cars don't look like that by the time they're that old

Back