Extended warranty consideration (2019 CX-9 with 26k miles)

I just purchased a 2019 CX-9 with 26k miles. I decided to go with the Extended warranty (Service contract) offered by the non-Mazda dealer, because there was a 30-60 day grace period with full refund upon cancellation. The cost was $1695 for 3yr/36,000 miles. Now I see I can get a Mazda Platinum Vehicle Service Agreement for about $55 more for a coverage period of 5 yr/ 60,000 miles ($1750). I'm not missing anything right? Both plans have a $0 deductible. I feel like an extended warranty will give me piece of mind, especially with some of the possible expensive failures these vehicles are known for...

Wow. Just say no. Save your money.
If you do go ahead with one of these extensions, read the contract, twice. Make sure you know everything that is covered, and everything that is not.
Remember, these guys are not there as your friends. It's an insurance policy, and they will do whatever they can NOT to process a future claim. They will bring out every excuse and loophole to try and get out of paying for repairs. They sell these things to make money, and not to give you peace of mind. Good luck.

Upvote 0
Buzzman is pretty much right on. I would cancel the extended warranty with the non Mazda dealer. What company has provided the warranty? Have you reviewed their ratings? Usually these warranties through independent providers have lots of exclusions when it comes to repairs. I'd trust the Mazda warranty coverage over an independent, but I don't see any Mazda warranty called "Platinum". I only see "Total Confidence" and "Powertrain Confidence" plans. Have you contacted a Mazda dealer to discuss a warranty plan?

Upvote 0
As Gphin and Buzzman said, stay away from ANY third party warranty. ONLY get the Mazda total confidence or powertrain extended. Btw, who is selling that?

Upvote 0
Or, just don't buy one at all. Mazdas are extremely reliable cars, and the chance that you're going to have a $1800 repair is slim.

Upvote 0
Or, just don't buy one at all. Mazdas are extremely reliable cars, and the chance that you're going to have a $1800 repair is slim.
Then my 2020 CX-9 was built on a Friday because I've had plenty of issues already from both exterior and interior trim to brakes to mirrors to oil leak to suspension to headlights to sensors. He absolutely better get that extended contract for the cracked head alone that will happen after factory warranty is done. I'm looking into one now myself.

Upvote 0
Then my 2020 CX-9 was built on a Friday because I've had plenty of issues already from both exterior and interior trim to brakes to mirrors to oil leak to suspension to headlights to sensors. He absolutely better get that extended contract for the cracked head alone that will happen after factory warranty is done. I'm looking into one now myself.
Sorry to hear that.

Upvote 0
Buzzman is pretty much right on. I would cancel the extended warranty with the non Mazda dealer. What company has provided the warranty? Have you reviewed their ratings? Usually these warranties through independent providers have lots of exclusions when it comes to repairs. I'd trust the Mazda warranty coverage over an independent, but I don't see any Mazda warranty called "Platinum". I only see "Total Confidence" and "Powertrain Confidence" plans. Have you contacted a Mazda dealer to discuss a warranty plan?
The service contract I want to cancel is through Fidelity Warranty Services. The one I want to switch to is Mazda USA Warranty 603-232-2268 Vehicle Service Agreement Platinum. I've attached the brochure for it.

Attachments

• mfsVSAPlatinumeBrochure0820Effective.pdf
    3.1 MB · Views: 89
Upvote 0
As Gphin and Buzzman said, stay away from ANY third party warranty. ONLY get the Mazda total confidence or powertrain extended. Btw, who is selling that?
It's not one of those - I think that is the version they offer when you are purchasing new/used directly from a Mazda dealer? This I found searching for "Mazda Extended Warranty". Here is the website:

Mazda USA Warranty 603-232-2268 Vehicle Service Agreement Platinum

Also, I've attached the brochure.

Attachments

• mfsVSAPlatinumeBrochure0820Effective.pdf
    3.1 MB · Views: 67
Upvote 0
It seems like the year I bought is known for a cracked head issue, and cracked heads-up display screen. Plus any electronic issue will most likely be costly. Of course, I may never have any of those issues, but if I do...

Upvote 0
It seems like the year I bought is known for a cracked head issue, and cracked heads-up display screen. Plus any electronic issue will most likely be costly. Of course, I may never have any of those issues, but if I do...

Peace of mind is worth it to some, but not to others. Of the two, I would definitely go with the one offered by Mazda.

Upvote 0
The service contract I want to cancel is through Fidelity Warranty Services. The one I want to switch to is Mazda USA Warranty 603-232-2268 Vehicle Service Agreement Platinum. I've attached the brochure for it.
Fidelity is actually one of the best aftermarket warranty companies. They sell them at plenty of German car dealers with used vehicles, and the coverage/service from Fidelity is very well-reviewed by Audi/Benz owners. Very high $$$ claims get paid all the time.

Not sure which Fidelity plan you have. The cheap plans have limited coverage and exceptions. Their top-tier plan is in many cases better or the same as the original "bumper-to-bumper" coverage. Read the small print carefully.

I had the extended warranty on my CX-9 from Mazda, and it was not fun dealing with them when i needed them to fix my cracking bumper.

Upvote 0
A person in the insurance industry told me buying an extended warranty(service contract) is placing a bet that you equipment will break. you lose either way. something I will never do. put that money into a "fix it fund"

Upvote 0
I feel like an extended warranty will give me piece of mind
(Almost) exactly. You bought peace of mind insurance. It is unlikely, but not impossible, that you'll never get all, or maybe any, of your money back. That's OK if you sleep better with this contract. I agree with above, (a) get only the manufacturer's product, and (b) read all the fine print and see if it's OK with you. One person bought their extended service contract with all "oil lubricated parts of the engine" covered. A crack in the cooling jacket wall of the cylinder head is not oil lubricated and not covered.

Upvote 0
One person bought their extended service contract with all "oil lubricated parts of the engine" covered. A crack in the cooling jacket wall of the cylinder head is not oil lubricated and not covered.
....and this is exactly why you need to read the contract from stem to stern, twice. Don't make any assumptions on your coverage. Make sure you understand exactly what's covered and what's not.
Like I said, these guys are not your friends, and they will do whatever it takes to get out of paying for repairs.

Upvote 0
Fidelity is actually one of the best aftermarket warranty companies. They sell them at plenty of German car dealers with used vehicles, and the coverage/service from Fidelity is very well-reviewed by Audi/Benz owners. Very high $$$ claims get paid all the time.

Not sure which Fidelity plan you have. The cheap plans have limited coverage and exceptions. Their top-tier plan is in many cases better or the same as the original "bumper-to-bumper" coverage. Read the small print carefully.

I had the extended warranty on my CX-9 from Mazda, and it was not fun dealing with them when i needed them to fix my cracking bumper.
Hmm, that's an interesting new detail. All I was thinking was "third party warranty"... Mi Fidelity is the Gold level. That said, I did notice that cylinder heads ARE covered under the Mazda version (specifically listed under the "Gold" contract, and under the "Platinum" it just says "all manufacturer-original equipment parts installed by the manufacturer...") But on the Fidelity contract there is no mention of cylinder heads being covered. So between that and the fact that the term is longer with the Mazda warranty, I think it's a no brainer to switch. I did see that with the Mazda version, bumpers are listed as excluded.

Upvote 0
Just wanted to post that I just purchased an 8 year/75k mile genuine Mazda platinum extended protection plan with zero deductible through a Mazda dealer in Pennsylvania at a super price of $1400 for my 2020 CX-9 GT. It is the new car plan because my factory warranty is still good for a few weeks longer and as long as it is still under this warranty then you can purchase this plan.

If anyone wants to know which dealer and the contact there, please private message me. I'm not sure if im allowed to publically post their info.

I have NO affiliation to them. Just trying to help others considering purchasing a warranty get a great deal. I also have pricing on other variations of time and mileage but the one I picked worked best for me. I've contacted numerous dealers both close and afar and the price and ease of purchase was fantastic.

Upvote 0
Back