Exhaust stud size

bvolks

:
99 Protege
I'm getting ready to replace the downpipe on my 99 1.6L Protege and the studs on the bottom of the catalytic convertor are rusted to the point that I can't tell what size/ pitch they're supposed to be. I'd like to just replace the studs while I'm at it but I can't find them anywhere online. Does anyone know what size/ pitch they are or where I could get some?

I'm not familiar with the 1.6L's system...how does it bolt to the pre-cat? You can find nearly any size exhaust system bolts at Napa or something for cheap, and if its just bolts that need to slide through a hole with a nut and a washer on the other side...the factory size isn't all that important.

but, you may run into a setup where the flange has welded studs in place. the 2.0L mid-pipe has something like that iirc...and you'll need to drill them out if they are toast...but its not all that difficult, and you can then resort to a normal bolt/washer/nut setup...I just haven't ever seen a 1.6L exhaust, so i'm not sure how similar it is to mine.

With lots of heat I finally got all 3 nuts off without breaking anything, even though one of them was worn down to 16mm (from 17mm).

Back