Engine Warm Up Turbo Version

Pitter

Pitter
Contributor
:
2020 CX-5 Signature Azul Metalico
When I start my 2020 Signature turbo first thing in the morning it operates at a high speed idle for twenty or thirty seconds before dropping down to normal idle.
Do non turbo vehicles behave the same way or is it a turbo thing?

Gozo

2020 Mazda6 2.5T
Mine does the same thing. I let it settle down (about the same time it takes for the HUD to boot up) before dropping into gear. My past cars (non-turbo) acted similarly; with either ECU controlled throttle bodies, or carbureted. It think it has to do with a richer mix to get the first ignition and then it leans out as combustion stabilizes.

acidbug

ZoomZoom CX-5
Contributor
:
‘19 CX-5 GTR
It’s done with all modern cars to help fireup/heat up the Catalytic converter. All modern cars do this. I typically give it 30 seconds to 1 minute until the idle drop down. Baby the throttle until temp start to reach operating temp (usually more important in the winter)

:
'16.5 CX-5 AWD
More important is to give the turbo several seconds to spin down and cool down after being run. I used to let my Ford idle 60 seconds so the oil in the turbo bearings wouldn't bake after shutdown.

acidbug

ZoomZoom CX-5
Contributor
:
‘19 CX-5 GTR
That’s more for older turbos that are oil cooled and not both oil and coolant cooled.

But I do agre, If you are a beating hard on the car all the way to the parking spot you should definitely let it idle for a couple seconds.