Electric superchargers ready for production

TinmanMS6

:
2012 Subaru WRX
electric_supercharger_main630-0925-636x360.jpg

Current hybrid technology uses electrical energy stored in a battery to power an electric motor connected to an internal combustion engine, but there are other ways of harnessing electrical energy to help save fuel. Engineers in the UK have developed a new system where electrical energy can be used to drive a supercharger and boost performance of an engine.

Conventional superchargers are powered by a belt connected to the cars engine. As more power is dialed up, the supercharger draws more and more power away from the engine and in turn burns more fuel.

Earlier this year British firm Controlled Power Technologies (CPT) revealed an electric supercharging system developed for small fuel-efficient engines that does away with the belt system. Dubbed the Variable Torque Enhancement System (VTES), the new system is ready for mass production and can be applied to all types of petrol and diesel engines including those already turbocharged.

Tests undertaken by CPT show that when the new electric supercharger is applied to a radically downsized and down-speeded engine, it significantly increases the initial response, delivering more torque at low engine speeds.

Initial testing has shown that a 1.2L engine with an electric supercharger can provide the performance of a 2.0L motor, with typically a 40% improvement in acceleration times over a non-forced induction motor of the same size. For diesel engines, a near instant air supply enables delivery of high torque with minimal particulate emissions, helping to keep CO2 emissions low.

CPT has now signed a deal with Switched Reluctance Drives Limited to start developing OEM units that will eventually appear in production cars. No release date has been given but given the desperation in the auto industry for cleaner and more fuel efficient cars the wait shouldn't be long.

Wow, great idea.

I know that those of us who can't hold traction in first and second gear don't need the extra torque ;) but can't wait to see these on some production cars. PLEASE give me one for my gf's 1.3L Yaris!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

lol I'm sure this product shouldnt be confused with the hair dryer "super chargers" sold on ebay

Its been done, Thomas Knight anyone? Huge bank of batteries for a temporary boost. Then wait around for the alternator to charge it back up.

No, what you do is put a motor in between a turbo charger's compressor and turbine. Use the motor as a generator when the turbo is producing more boost than the engine needs and then as a motor to pre-spool the turbo when accelerating. I though one of the car companies was working on a system like that.

Back