E-Brake light turning on randomly

Cellerator

:
2012 Mazda 3i Skyactiv Hatchback
In the past 2 days, I noticed that everytime I brake, my ebrake on would either flicker or turn on but my e-brake isn't on so I'm really confused. It's starting to bug me because brakes are crucial. Any ideas as to what it is before I take it to the dealer next week?

Check your brake fluid. Even if it looks good, fill it up. Your problem will go away only AFTER you refill it.
-Phil

this happened to me the other day, but it just came on while driving
top off the brake fluid even if it looks ok

yah top off the brake fluid. many people have had a problem with this, and it's USUALLY resolved with just topping it off.

Same thing happened to me. I just topped off the brake fluid like 5 minutes ago and no more ebrake light.

actually you might not want to just top off your brake fluid. the reason the level dips is usually because your pads are worn down and so there is more fluid in the pistons when braking. if you top off, and then do your brake pad change, you will end up with too much fluid and you will either overflow (like i did) or have to bleed some out. if your planning on doing a brake job do that first, and then top off your fluid. it will save you a mess either way. if you plan on taking it in to get the brakes done, then go ahead and top off, thats their problem not yours :p

I have about 27k miles on my car and havn't done brakes since I got the car, think it's about time?

the p5 has a brake senser and it goes off on hard braking and when the pad are near worn down. its time to chang the brake pads when the ebrake light come on the first tap of the brake and stay on this usually mean you dont have much of pad left soo time to chang them. just adding fluid will throw off the senser.

^the 'brake sensor' is just the brake fluid level sensor inside the master cylinder resevoir.

but yea it's probably time to get new brake pads :p

overdrivex said:
the p5 has a brake senser and it goes off on hard braking and when the pad are near worn down. its time to chang the brake pads when the ebrake light come on the first tap of the brake and stay on this usually mean you dont have much of pad left soo time to chang them. just adding fluid will throw off the senser.
Why does it come on during hard braking? I'm curious cuz it happend to me for the 1st time today, and I was trying (and fortunately succeeded) to avoid an accident and a big red light came on lol. No, that's not distracting. It was the E-Brake light, but it doesn't come on any other time. As far as I know (I checked earlier) I have plenty of pad left...Does the light just mean "slow down ur breaking too hard"?

It is the brake fluid.. same thing happens to me.
when you brake hard.. the fluid moves to one side and the sensor doesnt see the fluid anymore..

So basically nothing to be worried abt (I'm still in b/w the low and full lines), just making sure. Appreciate the info

mp3wannabe said:
actually you might not want to just top off your brake fluid. the reason the level dips is usually because your pads are worn down and so there is more fluid in the pistons when braking. if you top off, and then do your brake pad change, you will end up with too much fluid and you will either overflow (like i did) or have to bleed some out. if your planning on doing a brake job do that first, and then top off your fluid. it will save you a mess either way. if you plan on taking it in to get the brakes done, then go ahead and top off, thats their problem not yours :p

I was about to say this...Yeah, be careful and make sure this doesnt happens.
It happened to me, I just topped it off and wound screwin it all up and what not...Just be careful and get everything checked out.

Back