Downpipe; Tuning + Fuel Pump???

mglavina

R3VO 3VOM
:
2006 Mazdaspeed 6
Hey guys so I ordered the 3" catless downpipe from ebay and it should be here some time this week. There was lot's of the things I was wondering about for those of you who have DP's and I've heard sort of mixed opinions, help me out guys:

I have the stock cat-back exhaust, if I install the downpipe can I run stage 2 or no? Do I need a full TBE to run a stage 2 map? Off of MSF I was suggested to run a custom map self-tuned off the AP.

Do I absolutely have to buy a upgraded fuel pump in order to run the DP? What are some of the issues I would run into? (Cp-e fuel pump would cost me about $1100 btw, either that price locally or $700 + taxes, shipping, duty, ect...)

I heard the 3" catless DP throws a CEL but it can be cleared with the AP. Is this an issue?

Other mods that I have are listed in my sig. I really don't beat up my car that often, maybe ONCE in a while when I feel like giving it but I don't rip it all the time everywhere - if that makes a difference with the tuning/fp/dp.

Thoughts + opinions/advice would be nice :D, if anyone else on here has bought the ebay downpipe please chime in!

It's like you're reading my mind...
Standing by for answers; considering making the dp jump myself, and had the same questions, particularly about CELs and running catless.

Cel is iffy, I got one. The ap can just disable the cel by keeping the rear 02 in an unready state.

Stage 2 can be ran, I did it. And a cdfp is unnecessary if specific criteria are met like afr and boost under certain values yadda yadda.

Downpipe came in yesterday, will post picks up later today. Only reason why I seak advice is people have done different things? I would love to just install the downpipe but if I have to get a fuel pump and do something with the tuning then I dunno... might have to order in more parts? I just wanna put it on lol.

And yeah I'm not really sure what's up with the 02 sensors, and how many there are and stuff? Zinger, are you running stage 2 with just a catless DP and no fuel pump or tbe?

i am, catless dp, stock catback, 18-19 psi, spikes of 22-23, (based off my aem gauge, not the cars map) and i have only ever seen 15xx psi dips. in -20 i did see a 900psi dip at 15psi, so idn what to say.

Last edited:
in summer so far the lowest recorded has been 1500psi. i had one dip down to 900psi in winter. nothing came of this, not even any registered kr so idn what to think.

you can put the downpipe on. but if you do. i would do some logging of the fuel pressure just to ensure its note dropping. a custom tune for your mods would honestly be ideal, but if there is a shelf tune thats very close to your mods, u can run it, but it wont be perfect by anymeans.

and i wouldnt bother getting the whole pump when u do upgrade. save the money and buy the internals. install the internals yourself.

the AP can disable CELs, IE- egr and rear o2. just because of how many you disable because each one you disable will cause the monitor for that part of the system to ready "NOT READY" indefinately. and you 2001+ year model cars are only allowed one monitor to be not ready and still pass inspection. this is for the states of course, im not sure if its the same in Canada. but you should look into the regulations for inspection in terms of the Monitor readiness before proceeding

in summer so far the lowest recorded has been 1500psi. i had one dip down to 900psi in winter. nothing came of this, not even any registered kr so idn what to think.

winter is going to be more a problem because the air is colder and your car will hit higher loads at times. even if it dips down once i'd upgrade the pump because it is bound to happen again.

i have the kmd fuel pump. i got it for the purpose of installing the corksport downpipe and catted testpipe. i was getting fuel cut in the winters only even without a downpipe. bova is right 100%... just upgrade your pump since u can't seem to stop modding lol. kmd internals are great. have had no problems..did the install myself and it was very easy. took only and hour to do. or go with the all expensive cp-e fuel pump. kmd was $300 at the time vs cpe which is close to fronting $1000 until you send them your fuel pump back.

Well the mod bug moved from my dd the 6, to my beater 2l sunbird gt convertible. 470cc injectors, wally 255 pump, evo 9 fmic, t3 super 60 turbo, DIY exhaust manifold, DIY intake manifold, upgraded throttle body, ac delete. I'm gonna blow it up just to see what the 8v can handle.

But back to the topic at hand. The fuel pump will not be your weakest link if your fully modded. The agressiveness (if that's a word Haha) of your tune will be the determining factor.

Last edited:
So is the KMD product an actual fuel pump or are they upgraded high presuure fuel pump internals? I'm just getting a bit lost trying to figure out what I'm ordering. On there website also it says its a VW/Audi pump, im guessing it can be used on ours too? Unless there is a specific one for ours?

And I haven't found installation instructions/pictures or anything yet to see how I would do this myself. I don't even know where the stock fp is on our cars LOL

Back