2017~2024 Doing CX-5 brakes, any suggestion on source for F/R kits?

2017 CX-5 Touring. I am going to do my own brakes, thanks to the great info here (especially the eBrake instructions). However I am trying to get OEM set and keep finding them too much compared to Powerstop or Raybestos.
So I ask: I drive under 10K/yr, do I need cross drilled/slotted? Would I be better off with just solid, OEM? I don't know how long I will keep the vehicle, but I don't need performance. Just daily driver. Thanks for any tips/suggestions on brand and merchant link.

2017 CX-5 Touring. I am going to do my own brakes, thanks to the great info here (especially the eBrake instructions). However I am trying to get OEM set and keep finding them too much compared to Powerstop or Raybestos.
So I ask: I drive under 10K/yr, do I need cross drilled/slotted? Would I be better off with just solid, OEM? I don't know how long I will keep the vehicle, but I don't need performance. Just daily driver. Thanks for any tips/suggestions on brand and merchant link.
No, no need for drilled/slotted. Fact is, not even real, actual race cars use drilled rotors.

For OEM parts, Werner Mazda, Cox Mazda, Med Center, Mazdaswag, and Quirkparts are my go-tos. Don't forget to check eBay and Amazon for OEM parts, too. They are often available there.

If you find the price of the OEM rotors just too much to bear, and they can be expensive for sure, take your rotors to an O'Reilly's, see if they can be turned! The price is only $10 each at my store! And if they can't turn them, they'll give you that $10 each off of a new rotor! Win-Win!

Upvote 0
I just ordered brake pads and rotors for my CX-9. Went with drilled/slotted just for the look, but they are totally unnecessary. I ordered through Rockauto.com. Rockauto also sells popular brands like Centric and Raybestos for good prices, but I would check the local stores @theblooms mentioned above first, if they are local to you. Sometimes ordering online results in expensive shipping costs, especially on heavy parts like these. Shipping can turn a good deal into a bust.

Upvote 0
... Sometimes ordering online results in expensive shipping costs, especially on heavy parts like these. Shipping can turn a good deal into a bust...
Im the past, I worked up a decent size order of brake pads rotors wiper blade etc on Rock Auto, was dissatisfied with their high shipping cost from multiple warehouses so I printed the order and took it to my local auto parts store 2 minutes from my house. They matched the price and picked it up at the store a couple weeks later with no shipping charges.

I'd rather support my local brick - n - mortar store anyway. I'd even pay a little more to do it.

@macanix , are you having any vibration issues or heavy corrosion or some other reason to replace the rotors? Maybe don't need new rotors.

Upvote 0
Unless you want a certain brand of brake pads or rotors, if you are looking for value priced quality, just go to NAPA.

NAPA also has their high end adaptive one ceramics(i've used them for years on previous vehicles) but theyre more expensive than the Mazda OEM.
The Mazda OEM seem perfectly balanced for this vehicle. Very good reason to stay with OEM.

If you are unsure in the rotors...
Take the rotors to NAPA, theyll tell you if they're ok as-is, need turned, or if they're too thin to turn in which case you buy new.
You only need regular rotors. Dont get drilled(they fall apart), and you said you dont want performance so why pay $$ for slotted.

Imo, you should spend the $$ for good brake pads.
My next set of pads will be OEM, EBC or NAPA adaptive one pads.

But, if you're not driving that much and don't want to spend that much then just get the NAPA cheapie pads. They're functional. May not last as long but they'll work. However maybe you should at least get mid-range pads.

NAPA also have middle priced brake pads and expensive Akebono.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Im the past, I worked up a decent size order of brake pads rotors wiper blade etc on Rock Auto, was dissatisfied with their high shipping cost from multiple warehouses so I printed the order and took it to my local auto parts store 2 minutes from my house. They matched the price and picked it up at the store a couple weeks later with no shipping charges.

I'd rather support my local brick - n - mortar store anyway. I'd even pay a little more to do it.

@macanix , are you having any vibration issues or heavy corrosion or some other reason to replace the rotors? Maybe don't need new rotors.
no vibe but it was a used CX-5 prior to my purchase (it was a 3yr lease prior) and no records showing new brakes. I've must salt/rust in my region so I like to just do it all. Noticed fluid getting low too, indicating pad wear (I looked at front and they are really thin. Back seem thin but not like the front)

Upvote 0
Back