Do NOT Let WalMart Make a New Key!!

TreyP

2018 Soul Red AWD Touring CX-5
I always like to keep a spare key in my wallet in case I lock the keys in the car. I didn't want to use the spare original because it is too big. So last night I was at WalMart and figured I would get one made since I hadn't done that yet. Well, the key got stuck in the key machine for some reason and the guy couldn't get it out no matter how he tried. He gave up on fingers and moved on to vise grips (eek) which resulted in the key getting first scuffed and then broken. For the grand finale, he went and got a crow bar and literally busted the whole key machine open to get the key out!! (ugh)

So, now I have to go to Mazda, get a replacement key, go back to WalMart, show them my receipt from Mazda and hopefully get reimbursed without much more hassle.

Oh, and the best part? The key they made me didn't work!! LOL! So if it wasn't for the key fob and push button technology I would have had to call my girlfriend to bring me my other set of keys.

Last edited:
I saw a kid put a key in the wrong side of a key machine once and take off all of the hills and make it perfectly flat and useless, oopps!

I remember in high school, I worked for Lowes. We had an automatic key maker machine. You practically chose the slot that fits the key and it is really easy to misinterpret if you gave zero s**** about your job. The machines usually needed much needed maintenance and would jam.

With that said, just go to a lock smith unless you're replicating a cheap $1-2 set of house keys.

To wrap this up, Mazda ordered a blank key, then I had to go in and wait for one hour while they reprogrammed the key to the car, then they made me the extra spare key ($7) to put in my wallet as originally planned 4 weeks ago. The total cost for all of this: $115

I brought the bill back to Wal-Mart and they not only paid me in cash for the original key replacement and programming, but they also paid for the spare I had made by Mazda plus they gave me an extra $15 for my trouble. Of course, my trouble was worth more than $15, but they didn't have to give me any extra, so good on them for that.

I remember in high school, I worked for Lowes. We had an automatic key maker machine. You practically chose the slot that fits the key and it is really easy to misinterpret if you gave zero s**** about your job. The machines usually needed much needed maintenance and would ja

If anyone is in that situation - here is a key blank for >$5.
https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned)
I ordered this when I bought a used fob. I took the blank and the original key to the locksmith that was 2 blocks down from the Mazda dealer. Just $2 to cut it.

Last edited:
Back