DIY rear shock replacement

:
2016 CX-5 Touring
Has anybody done a rear shock replacement on a 2016+ CX5 themselves. I was hoping it was going to be as easy as other cars I've done but it really looks like I need to remove the rear coil spring before I can get to the bottom nut holding the shock on. How did you do it?

I have NOT done this on my 2018 AWD - but took a look. I would attempt to get the rear shock out without removing the coil spring. You can definitely get to the nut - and it appears the lower stud might also be removed.

Sorry, I can't be 100% positive, but think there is enough room to move the strut off the lower stud and out with the coil spring in-place. Place a jack under the lower control arm and see if changing the height and angle makes this possible.

Worst case: Use a jack under the lower control arm to control the release of the coil spring. Remove the lower sway bar link bolt and the lower control arm bolt from the knuckle. You may not have to completely remove the spring to make enough room to pull out the shock- but at that point it will be easy to remove the spring.

Back