DIY idea: Carbon Fiber Wrap

hwibowo

I just finished wrapping the glossy panel. It was a finger-print-magnet. It also solved my rattle/squeak issue from between the headunit trim and the panel it self.

I used 3M Di-Noc carbon fiber wrap. It's not just carbon fiber print. It has texture. From what I read, this type is the high end wrap for exterior. I would imagine it should be durable enough for interior application. This color is graphite. I bought it from metrostyling of Amazon, 1'x4' for $25. Enough for the entire panel and some left over.

Disclaimer: I'm not responsible for any damage should you choose to replicate the work. The finish quality extremely depends on the DIYer's skill. Also the ability to stay cool in high stress situation. :) Heat gun is your best friend but use with caution.

Steps:
Watch this first.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mL0nOpvkTb4

1.) Using the following guide, remove the panel.

http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/show...t-Shiny-Trim-Head-Unit-and-Center-Floor-Piece

2.) Remove the vents and emergency signal light button.

3.) Pry the tabs. Be careful, they are thin.

4.) Unscrew the (3) screws. The button assembly should come off.

5.) Clean the panel with light degreaser. Use alcohol to finish the preparation.

6.) Cut the wrap with 1-1.5" over the panel. I cut mine 15cm x 90cm. It could've been smaller but it's all good. Remove the backing and start applying onto the flat section of the panel. From this on, use the heat gun (low setting) to stretch the wrap for corner application. Watch the youtube guide how it is done. Patience is the key. The wrap can be peel and re-apply. Not sure how many times but as a general rule, the lesser the better. DO NOT GET DEFEATED BY THE WRAP. Don't give up.

Final result:

Installed:

I got plenty left over from the cutaway of panel application. I applied the wrap to my bike helmet. ;)
Original helmet
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/__OBO8tFz7i4/TOqklwXdM_I/AAAAAAAAAFg/jxVTMJ3lKCo/s1600/DSC01610.JPG

Last edited:
You stole my idea!! (j/k) (cheers2) I sent mine out to be professionally done since it didn't come out as great as I wanted it when I tried it myself. I've been driving around with the dash torn apart for 2 weeks now, but they just emailed me last night and told me that it is currently curing and will be on the way back by the end of the week. I also did the stereo trim so that it would blend in more. I'll probably wrap some smaller (easier) pieces myself. I'll post pics when I get it all back.

Anyway, good job, it looks great!

Last edited:
It involves removing stuff? man I'm so afraid I'll snap some clips or break something taking small pieces like this apart. I really want to do this too, maybe I'll just take it to a pro.

Looks great though!

Yeah, I could've done the head unit trim too. But it would be too much. Borderline carbon junkie. I intended this wrap to subtly add more color but still match with the silver accent on the console. Also to give more pattern. This mod completely solve the squeak issue i had. One thing to consider too, the tolerance between the trim and panel was tight which caused squeak issue. With this mod, the tolerance is even tighter. So i'm not sure how yours would fit. The worst case is that one of them would be in compression causing another to be in stress.

The wrap is $25. Cheap mod i would say. Not sure how much a store would charge. Patience and determination play important in this mod. It pays off.

You stole my idea!! (j/k) (cheers2) I sent mine out to be professionally done since it didn't come out as great as I wanted it when I tried it myself. I've been driving around with the dash torn apart for 2 weeks now, but they just emailed me last night and told me that it is currently curing and will be on the way back by the end of the week. I also did the stereo trim so that it would blend in more. I'll probably wrap some smaller (easier) pieces myself. I'll post pics when I get it all back.

Anyway, good job, it looks great!

Most DIY involves removing parts.
As long as you take your time, it should be fine. This is not the kind of project that you do in time crunchin moment. I did the mod in 2 hours. 5mins of that for removing and installing the panel. The rest was for taking my time for doing the wrap.

However, if you're not confident, seek some help. If you keep having to pay someone though, it's gonna be expensive.

It involves removing stuff? man I'm so afraid I'll snap some clips or break something taking small pieces like this apart. I really want to do this too, maybe I'll just take it to a pro.

Looks great though!

Mine is actually not being wrapped, it is being hydro-imaged, so the tolerance change will be extremely small. I also did not have any squeaking issues, so that is not a worry for me. The pattern I am getting is more of a black carbon fiber, it looks like yours is more silver, so my reasoning behind doing the head unit trim is to give it some continuity. I understand your reasoning as well. It's all good.
The cost on mine is somewhere around $90 for both pieces, so it is also quite reasonable.

Yeah, I could've done the head unit trim too. But it would be too much. Borderline carbon junkie. I intended this wrap to subtly add more color but still match with the silver accent on the console. Also to give more pattern. This mod completely solve the squeak issue i had. One thing to consider too, the tolerance between the trim and panel was tight which caused squeak issue. With this mod, the tolerance is even tighter. So i'm not sure how yours would fit. The worst case is that one of them would be in compression causing another to be in stress.

The wrap is $25. Cheap mod i would say. Not sure how much a store would charge. Patience and determination play important in this mod. It pays off.

Great post! I plan on wrapping mine in black carbon fiber and this thread definitely helps.

Just wanna update the wrap after a hot day in Houston. It is still good. No pulling, wrinkle, etc. will post pics tomorrow with natural light.

Nice! yeah it's not that expensive to get a pro to do it. The wrapping part I can do no problem as I've done stuff like this it's the taking apart part I don;t trust myself with. Anyways went out to get a quote on my black plastic trim on the exterior and bumper (want to do black carbon fiber wrap) plus this little dash piece and was quoted $175. Not a bad price, still thinking about the exterior and how it would look since my CX-5 is already black.

Looks quite good. I like the factory piano black, but it just doesn't take well to being wiped or brushed by anything but a microfiber cloth. So, sadly, when my wife thinks she is doing well by wiping dust away from the trim with a paper napkin, she is actually destroying it. Sigh...

Good write up. Definitely something to consider once one can no longer bear the hideous swirled appearance of the factory finish, after somebody who doesn't know what they are doing gets ahold of it.

Sorry to bump such a old thread.
Did you use a heat gun or a hair dryer? I'm planning on doing this to my CX-5 ASAP but if I can pass on buying the heat gun all the better.

Hair dryer works great!

null_zpsce369aaa.jpg

Looks great! Nice and subtle. I'm going to give this a try too. Any idea how difficult it is to remove if I change my mind and don't like it anymore?

Its super easy, just peels right off. If you can't get a corner up just apply some heat.

Back