Dealer says not to clean MAF sensor…?

2018 Mazda CX-5 with 56k miles here. Non-turbo.

In June my dealer recommended a MAF sensor cleaning at like $86 bucks or something. I had the spray already so I did it myself. Properly. Disconnected batt, removed it, sprayed it, dried it, etc.

Now, they are claiming that cleaning it ruins the sensor and are recommending that I replace it. No, it is not throwing any codes and they even said it appears to be working fine.

This is surrounding me trying to figure out some hesitation and low power in the motor from off idle to 2000 RPM. And lower than normal city MPG (like 19). I’m thinking throttle body next but, has anyone heard of this??

Don’t clean your MAF sensor? I think it’s bull.

I think that's bull too. Maybe that's a disclaimer or something. Some people are pretty gorilla-like and that little wire in there is delicate.

I cleaned mine too once while hunting down an issue. My problem wasn't the MAF, but I also didn't damage it when cleaning it up.
I sold the car years later with it in there, still working fine

The dealer is basically correct; cleaning the MAF using carb cleaner or brake cleaner WILL damage the more delicate hot film MAF sensor element Mazda uses for these vehicles. Using an MAF sensor cleaner, that specifically states on the can it is safe for hot-film sensors, is fine.

The dealer is basically correct; cleaning the MAF using carb cleaner or brake cleaner WILL damage the more delicate hot film MAF sensor element Mazda uses for these vehicles. Using an MAF sensor cleaner, that specifically states on the can it is safe for hot-film sensors, is fine.
That is correct about using carb or brake cleaner but not the topic the OP is discussing as far as him and the dealer are concerned and the BS they are saying for a vehicle that has nothing wrong with it.

Animation on film-type MAP sensors.

So, I got a reply from Mazda corporate, confirming what we all knew… thanks for the replies along the way.
Thank you for contacting Mazda Customer Experience Center.

The Mass Air Flow Sensor is to be cleaned using CRC Mass Air Flow Sensor Cleaner #05110. Do not use shop air or harsh chemicals such as brake parts cleaner or carburetor cleaner on MAF sensors. This can cause serious damage to sensitive electronic parts. CRC MAF sensor cleaner will safely and easily clean the MAF hotwire and electrical components without damage to the wires or plastic housing.

If you have any questions in the future, you can reach me directly using the number and extension below.

Myself personally and all my service techs use CRC on all MAP,MAS and IAT along with just about anything else electrical related to clean them. CRC will also confirm that it is sensor safe as it indicates on the can.

I clean my MAP and IAT sensor whenever I do an air cleaner service which is about the same time I change my engine oil and filter, about every 3k-5000k miles. So that is at least 6 times since new on my Mazda. Thats 43k+ miles without a sensor issue!

Back