2016~2023 Dealer recommended maintenance question

:
‘16 CX-9 GT
Quick post to pick your brains on some dealer recommended services of my awd 2016 CX-9 GT. We have about 72.5k mi now and haven’t changed fluids (besides oil, of course). I plan to wait until 80k to do my second set of plugs.

The recommended services are in the attached image. I’m bringing the car to a local mechanic for an alignment, brakes & brake fluid flush next week.

Attachments

• B5C5507E-9ED7-4031-AD1A-11C3A523E224.jpeg
    B5C5507E-9ED7-4031-AD1A-11C3A523E224.jpeg
    60.2 KB · Views: 234
I hate typing on the phone. I logged onto my computer just for you lol

If you want to follow manufacturer's schedule, you only need to change out the diff fluid if submerged in water. But I think it is safe to say that there are no "lifetime" fluids. So changing the trans and diff would be something I would do if I were you. If you have changed out your plugs at 40k, then wait. If not, do it soon.
Lastly, regarding the belts... hard to say but at 72k you can do as preventative maintenance. Pop the hood and feel the ribs for cracks. Or have your mechanic take a look.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    124.8 KB · Views: 139
I hate typing on the phone. I logged onto my computer just for you lol

If you want to follow manufacturer's schedule, you only need to change out the diff fluid if submerged in water. But I think it is safe to say that there are no "lifetime" fluids. So changing the trans and diff would be something I would do if I were you. If you have changed out your plugs at 40k, then wait. If not, do it soon.
Lastly, regarding the belts... hard to say but at 72k you can do as preventative maintenance. Pop the hood and feel the ribs for cracks. Or have your mechanic take a look.
Thanks again for the help. I was surprised the manual didn’t call for the fluids to be done but I’ve heard lots of people recommend it. I just wanted to make sure the dealer wasn’t recommending needless services. I did the plugs at 40k and they did not look great. I won’t let them go beyond 80k before replacing them again.

Lubricants and coolants are made to be much longer lived than those of the past. Many automatic transmission fluids are good for 100,000 miles unless overheated by very heavy loads. I won't wait 100k; I'm a belt & suspenders kind of guy with my cars. You see how that dealership lies about "Mazda recommends..." I'm surprised they didn't list "change power steering fluid." Go by your owner's manual, or do things a bit earlier. As noted above, a good look at the accessory drive belt is important.

I haven't seen the alignment specs yet for our cars. Some makes have specs that are too wide. An alignment "in spec" at the max at one extreme on one side and at max at the other end on the other side is a terrible alignment--and "in spec." Ask for all the settings to be as close to the center of the spec as they can get and get a copy of the before and after readings. I also don't know what is adjustable on the rear. In any case, get a 4-wheel alignment if the rear is adjustable, or a thrust alignment if it isn't. This is where they measure the direction of thrust of the rear and align the front to match that.

According to the 2016 maintenance schedule:

plugs are every 40k mi
coolant is first at 120k mi, then every 60k

Lubricants and coolants are made to be much longer lived than those of the past. Many automatic transmission fluids are good for 100,000 miles unless overheated by very heavy loads. I won't wait 100k; I'm a belt & suspenders kind of guy with my cars. You see how that dealership lies about "Mazda recommends..." I'm surprised they didn't list "change power steering fluid." Go by your owner's manual, or do things a bit earlier. As noted above, a good look at the accessory drive belt is important.

I haven't seen the alignment specs yet for our cars. Some makes have specs that are too wide. An alignment "in spec" at the max at one extreme on one side and at max at the other end on the other side is a terrible alignment--and "in spec." Ask for all the settings to be as close to the center of the spec as they can get and get a copy of the before and after readings. I also don't know what is adjustable on the rear. In any case, get a 4-wheel alignment if the rear is adjustable, or a thrust alignment if it isn't. This is where they measure the direction of thrust of the rear and align the front to match that.

I agree with that.

Not to pick on Mazda, just personal experience, I believe the Speed6 had a front camber range of something like -1/+1 degree. It was also un-adjustable so you got what you got.

A +1 degree camber would destroy the outside edges of tires....especially the ones on the left if you take a lot of fast cloverleaf ramps (like I did). To combat that, they would add toe out so it wears more evenly. This is just what I remember. I did get the aftermarket camber plates on mine and had a 'real' alignment done.

Quick post to pick your brains on some dealer recommended services of my awd 2016 CX-9 GT. We have about 72.5k mi now and haven’t changed fluids (besides oil, of course). I plan to wait until 80k to do my second set of plugs.

The recommended services are in the attached image. I’m bringing the car to a local mechanic for an alignment, brakes & brake fluid flush next week.
The work all look needed. But it's the exorbitant pricing that I can't accept. You'll probably save at least 50% by having the same work done at a reputable garage - avoid the dealership at all costs. They make most of their money from overcharging on part prices, maintenance and repairs. It's no surprise that they're widely known as stealerships :(

Back