Cylinder Head Swap

1.6Canuck

Hey guys,
I've heard that it's possible to swap the cylinder head from a 1.5 L ZL-VE S-VT to the 1.6L ZM-DE, can anyone confirm this?
Also is the ZL-VE SVT only jdm or was it available in North America as well??

thanks in advance.

yes it will bolt ,ZL-VE not available in North America JDM only. Must get the the ECU and harness to make the SVT to work.

Wow, this is exactly what I want to do,

I heard there are different ECU chips for the different trannies from my student, he's a mechanic at Mazda in Japan and just sold me his 323 with the ZL-DE engine. I'm getting confirmation about a chip I found at an auction tomorrow and will report back.

He also told me I'd need a new timing belt, but the housings are the same.

mig360mBJ, can you confirm two things for me? First, are the sprockets for the timing belt the same between the VE and DE? If they are different then I'm not going to bother. Secondly, are the manifolds and manifold gaskets the same?

M

EDIT - I just re-read this, actually I'm going from the ZL-DE to the ZL-VE, both are 1.5l, but I'm still interested

Last edited:
Was just reading how a couple of years ago you fitted the inlet manifold off an Euro ZM-DE onto your ZL-DE, and got good results. Going to look into that.

Would doing both, adding a VE head and the ZM intake, be overkill since they kinda do the same thing?

Head Swap

Where can I find more info on this? The ZL-VE SVT head is faily easy to find here in my country, so I'm thinking of attemting it.
Any guidance will be greatly appreciated.

Regads,
Silas

Where can I find more info on this? The ZL-VE SVT head is faily easy to find here in my country, so I'm thinking of attemting it.
Any guidance will be greatly appreciated.

Regads,
Silas

Where you from mate?

I thought this info was on the same board here, just try and search it.

Hmmm, just need to work out what to do about the wiring harness and I think I'm ready to roll. I can either swap the heads, my engine is a 1.5l ZL-DE, or I can swap the engines. Need to learn if I need new rook and secondary dash harnesses, and get some leads on the harnesses. I could get them through Mazda, probably with a good discount, or try finding a wreck and pull them out myself. Will get a price from Mazda and then weigh up whether to just buy them new or try to scrimmage around for some.

Hmmm, just need to work out what to do about the wiring harness and I think I'm ready to roll. I can either swap the heads, my engine is a 1.5l ZL-DE, or I can swap the engines. Need to learn if I need new rook and secondary dash harnesses, and get some leads on the harnesses. I could get them through Mazda, probably with a good discount, or try finding a wreck and pull them out myself. Will get a price from Mazda and then weigh up whether to just buy them new or try to scrimmage around for some.

ZL-De or ZM-DE? Which would you prefer? Turbo charge or Non Turbo?
ZL-De would be best to stick non-turbo. Stroke up 1.7L. Drop in high cams. Proper port & polish. Cause its not easy to get the accurate port for its engine.
ZM-DE would be best for turbo charge with stock internal. Known that it can go on par with a stock MSP.

Hope this info helps. Correct me if i'm wrong.

I've got a ZL-DE in it now, it's pretty much stock and has 150,000km on it. It runs fine and has been really well looked after and maintained up until I got it a few months back. I've also found a ZL-VE motor and the matching ECU chip but am still hunting for the harnesses. I am going to buy the engine and chip, store them and keep looking for the harnesses, or if I have the cash just go out and buy one from Mazda.

The question then is whether to replace the entire engine or just take the head and exhaust manifold off the VE and put them onto the DE block.

I'm not looking at turboing it atm but it's something I'd possibly consider later. For now I just want the extra 20 to 30 horses the SVT can get me. If I decide to go turbo I'll probably grab a ZM-DE block with the longer stroke and some miata pistons.

Markos

Markos, where you from?
the idea of finding and putting a zl-ve head onto my zl still spooks my mind.

I've got a ZL-DE in it now, it's pretty much stock and has 150,000km on it. It runs fine and has been really well looked after and maintained up until I got it a few months back. I've also found a ZL-VE motor and the matching ECU chip but am still hunting for the harnesses. I am going to buy the engine and chip, store them and keep looking for the harnesses, or if I have the cash just go out and buy one from Mazda.

The question then is whether to replace the entire engine or just take the head and exhaust manifold off the VE and put them onto the DE block.

I'm not looking at turboing it atm but it's something I'd possibly consider later. For now I just want the extra 20 to 30 horses the SVT can get me. If I decide to go turbo I'll probably grab a ZM-DE block with the longer stroke and some miata pistons.

Markos

I'm from Australia but I'm currently living in Japan. Should be moving back to Perth early 2009. I picked up a familia for next to nothing and am trying to grab a ZL-VE head and anything else I can use while I'm still here. I'm checking out an engine on Thursday, plus I know where I can get an ECU chip second hand, and one the guy who sold me the car works for mazda and can get me the 30% staff discount on parts. So I'll grab the harnesses new rather than chasing them around for hours. I'm pretty sure I'm going to grab the engine and chip this weekend and the harnesses while I'm here but I'll probably not do the swap until I'm back in Australia. Weighing up whether to bring the entire engine back or just tear out the parts I want and throw them in the back of the car when I ship it.

M

1.5 zl

could u find out if i could get a 2.0 5 speed motor and gearbox in japan to buy and what if they turbo it at the same time what the cost it would fit right into my 1998 famillia please see if any one does that kind of work. e mail at andyluss@hotmail.com

I'm from Australia but I'm currently living in Japan. Should be moving back to Perth early 2009. I picked up a familia for next to nothing and am trying to grab a ZL-VE head and anything else I can use while I'm still here. I'm checking out an engine on Thursday, plus I know where I can get an ECU chip second hand, and one the guy who sold me the car works for mazda and can get me the 30% staff discount on parts. So I'll grab the harnesses new rather than chasing them around for hours. I'm pretty sure I'm going to grab the engine and chip this weekend and the harnesses while I'm here but I'll probably not do the swap until I'm back in Australia. Weighing up whether to bring the entire engine back or just tear out the parts I want and throw them in the back of the car when I ship it.

M

Hello Markos! May i know AUTOEXE still have parts for FAMILIA 03 yr?

M

You're not on astina gt.com are you?
Great Aussi forum.

Latest posts

Back